Old 23-03-2008, 03:40 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible

Default Need Pepper suggestions for this year

I grew up in a family that doesn't like much of anything spicy, so as you
might imagine, we didn't grow many peppers. I remember growing sweet bell
peppers once.

Over the past few years, though, I have developed a taste for some really,
really mild jalapeno peppers at the store. Most of the varieties I've tried
that say mild are still way too hot for me, and I know to stay far away from
anything that says medium.

Anyway, I'm interested in growing 1 sweet, and 1 very mild pepper variety
this year. I'm hoping to find something that is known to be prolific,
because the few times I've tried growing peppers, I rarely get more than
half a dozen peppers per plant.

I'm looking for something that has smaller peppers, but many of them. I'd
like something sweet to add to salads, and something with a very, VERY tiny
bit of mild spice to use with cheese, nachos, as pizza toppings, etc. (maybe
even pickling)

Can anyone make some suggestions? Thanks!

Old 23-03-2008, 03:00 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible

"OhioGuy" wrote in message ...
[...]

Having grown up with jalapenos, I've found Anaheim peppers less "hot". You
might try those.

--
Dave

Old 23-03-2008, 07:11 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible

I grow 3 or 4 different Jalapeños some are hot and some have no heat. When
we make salsa I control the heat with Serrano's. Jalapeños are in my IMHO
the best pepper and I grow about 20 different kinds. I like the yellow
banana's also I cut them open fill them with onions sauté them in butter put
a little lime on them man that's good with a beer on a Sunday afternoon.