Old 17-04-2008, 07:51 PM
Registered User

Default surplus lettuce

Has anyone else had the same problem as me - i sent to what i thought was a reliable nusery owned by a lady called Nicky! for some Astilbe Astary seeds - i have spent weeks germinating them and potting them on ended up with 285 at a rough count only they turned out to be lettuces!!!!!!!! All i ended up with was my money back and not even an apology!
Old 17-04-2008, 08:28 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible

In article ,
suemack wrote:

Has anyone else had the same problem as me - i sent to what i thought
was a reliable nusery owned by a lady called Nicky! for some Astilbe
Astary seeds - i have spent weeks germinating them and potting them on
ended up with 285 at a rough count only they turned out to be
lettuces!!!!!!!! All i ended up with was my money back and not even an
apology!

Sell it at the local farmers market.

I'd practically kill for organically local grown lettuces...

Peace! Om

"My mother never saw the irony in calling me a Son of a Bitch."
-- Jack Nicholson
Old 21-04-2008, 10:04 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible

"suemack" wrote in message

Thanks for suggestion but was so cross yesterday i pulled them all out
and binned them!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Oh :-(

I hope it was the compost bin!

I've been very pleased with Nicky's seeds but have had problems with some of
the big suppliers.

I've also made mistakes in orders I've sent to customers (not
horticultural). Nobody's perfect.

Mary

Old 24-04-2008, 07:19 PM
Registered User

I'm sure we have all made mistakes but usually if i do at least i apologise for it !- i also wanted to know if when first germinated are buddleja seeds very tiny (as in nemesia)? I don't want to spend ages pricking these out if they are something else. It was suggested it was my compost but as i have successfully germinated approx. 2000 seeds this year i don't think that is the answer. I have found another supplier now recommended by one of the garden magazines.

In answer to other worthy members i have saved half of my lettuces and am continuing with them and will give them to the first school/church fair that comes along! (I didn't put all of them in the compost bin!) I will give them to whoever wants them along with a surplus of purple sprouting broccolli and watercress!
Old 25-04-2008, 01:31 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible

In article ,
suemack wrote:

will give them to whoever wants them along with a surplus of purple
sprouting broccolli and watercress!

How do you grow Cress please?

Old 25-04-2008, 05:20 PM
Registered User

Watercress - just sprinkle some seed on top of seed compost and cover lightly with vermiculite, water and wait!!!!!!!!!! Mustard and cress i seem to remember from school days growing it wet blotting paper! Shows how old I am!!!!!!!!!!!!

Lettuce - Lettuce 1a (Small).jpg (1/1) [email protected] Garden Photos 2 17-01-2018 04:48 PM
Lettuce - Lettuce 1a (Small).jpg (0/1) [email protected] Garden Photos 0 20-12-2015 08:10 PM
Surplus pots... Jim United Kingdom 9 14-10-2003 01:02 PM
Surplus pea query Paul England United Kingdom 3 18-07-2003 10:27 PM
surplus tech gear mhagen alt.forestry 19 13-03-2003 03:08 AM