Old 09-05-2008, 07:15 AM
Registered User

Location: Guildford, Surrey, UK
Default A Pea problem

Hi,

I bought some Cavalier seeds (peas) from my Organic supplier.

Unfortunately only about one in five actually produces a plant.

Is this typical?

Would appreciate any advice.

Kind Regards
Brian
Old 09-05-2008, 12:57 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible

tvrchimaera said:

Hi,

I bought some Cavalier seeds (peas) from my Organic supplier.

Unfortunately only about one in five actually produces a plant.

Is this typical?

Would appreciate any advice.

Field planted? Or test germination (indoors)?

Field planted, you might have lost some seeds to maggots or
wireworms (not the supplier's fault).

Test germination, could be you were sent faulty seed or they
were damaged at some point during shipping and handling.

The most unusual cause of a poor stand of peas (in my garden)
was the year the mallard duck decided to dine there.

The most annoying year was the one where the seeds had been
damaged by weevils before they got to me. (They looked like
they'd been drilled by a tipsy dentist.)

After enlightenment, the laundry.

Old 09-05-2008, 03:35 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible

In article , tvrchimaera.299b546
@gardenbanter.co.uk says...

Hi,

I bought some Cavalier seeds (peas) from my Organic supplier.

Unfortunately only about one in five actually produces a plant.

Is this typical?

Would appreciate any advice.

Kind Regards
Brian

What kind of weather are you having?

Last year we had few germinate in an overwarm spring and then in an
August cool spell the rest came on.
Old 10-05-2008, 03:41 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible

On 2008-05-09 02:15:31 -0400, tvrchimaera
said:

Unfortunately only about one in five actually produces a plant.

Is this typical?

DH planted a bunch of bean seeds. Four sprouted. He was disappointed. A
week and two rainfalls later, four more sprouted. I assume with more
rain and a little bit of warming temperatures, more will sprout.

Old 10-05-2008, 07:17 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible

In article , phorbin1
@yahoo.com says...
In article , tvrchimaera.299b546
@gardenbanter.co.uk says...

Hi,

I bought some Cavalier seeds (peas) from my Organic supplier.

Unfortunately only about one in five actually produces a plant.

Is this typical?

Would appreciate any advice.

Kind Regards
Brian

What kind of weather are you having?

Last year we had few germinate in an overwarm spring and then in an
August cool spell the rest came on.

Following up my own post.

Peas like cool weather.

We've not done so, but when my wife was working as a garden helper, they
used ice on the soil over peas to get them to germinate. I forget
whether they put the peas in late, or the spring was too warm.

Germination is typically near 100% here.

....and we were worrying about the peas until our recent cool spell. Most
have since, germinated and are growing nicely.

Sweet Pea Problem frostynick United Kingdom 13 05-08-2012 02:39 AM
Pea or not a pea Marq United Kingdom 2 26-03-2010 11:24 AM
snow pea problem... Craig Edible Gardening 6 14-06-2004 03:04 PM
Sweet Pea Trials Faye United Kingdom 0 01-06-2003 05:20 PM
Lack of sugar pea blossoms? Repeating Decimal Edible Gardening 0 14-02-2003 07:51 PM