Old 10-06-2004, 06:09 AM
Craig

Default snow pea problem...

Hi All,

I have another problem I forgot to mention in my earlier post. I have snow
pod peas growing in a container on my deck. The plant was going well until
last few weeks. Now it seems to be getting yellow with leaves falling off
from the bottom moving up. It started only a inch or so and is now about 6
inches or so up the 30 inch or so plant. Almost seems like its dying bottom
up. Plant is still making flowers and pea pods, just harvested some today in
fact. Any idea what is happening? Is that normal? Maybe it's overwatered?

Craig K
Staten Island, NY

Old 10-06-2004, 12:05 PM
Stan Goodman

On Thu, 10 Jun 2004 04:28:11 UTC, "Craig"
opined:
Hi All,

I have another problem I forgot to mention in my earlier post. I have snow
pod peas growing in a container on my deck. The plant was going well until
last few weeks. Now it seems to be getting yellow with leaves falling off
from the bottom moving up. It started only a inch or so and is now about 6
inches or so up the 30 inch or so plant. Almost seems like its dying bottom
up. Plant is still making flowers and pea pods, just harvested some today in
fact. Any idea what is happening? Is that normal? Maybe it's overwatered?

Craig K
Staten Island, NY

I have grown snowpeas in the past, though not in containers. Although I have
no idea what is making yours turn yellow, I think peas do better in cool
weather than in hot. There is a small wild pea-like plant that comes up in
winter, which suggests to me that cool weather is what the plant wants.

I grew them in the winter, which is more like your spring, and they did
quite well. That is the natural growing season here, and the ground is
usually pretty soggy during a good winter. My garden lies over a porous
chalk formation, so is well drained.

--
Stan Goodman
Qiryat Tiv'on

Saddam is gone. Ceterum, censeo Arafat esse delendum.

To send me email, please replace the CAPITAL_LETTERS with "sig". Please do
not send me HTML-formatted messages.Please do not send me attachments
without telling me beforehand.

Old 10-06-2004, 12:05 PM
Frogleg

On Thu, 10 Jun 2004 04:28:11 GMT, "Craig"
wrote:

I have another problem I forgot to mention in my earlier post. I have snow
pod peas growing in a container on my deck. The plant was going well until
last few weeks. Now it seems to be getting yellow with leaves falling off
from the bottom moving up. It started only a inch or so and is now about 6
inches or so up the 30 inch or so plant. Almost seems like its dying bottom
up. Plant is still making flowers and pea pods, just harvested some today in
fact. Any idea what is happening? Is that normal? Maybe it's overwatered?

Staten Island, NY

Peas, incl. snowpeas, are 'cool weather' veg. Try planting some more
at the end of summer for a fall crop. Your peas are probably done for
the season.
Old 10-06-2004, 07:03 PM
sueb

"Craig" wrote in message thlink.net...
Hi All,

I have another problem I forgot to mention in my earlier post. I have snow
pod peas growing in a container on my deck. The plant was going well until
last few weeks. Now it seems to be getting yellow with leaves falling off
from the bottom moving up. It started only a inch or so and is now about 6
inches or so up the 30 inch or so plant. Almost seems like its dying bottom
up. Plant is still making flowers and pea pods, just harvested some today in
fact. Any idea what is happening? Is that normal? Maybe it's overwatered?

Craig,
That's normal. I'm in N. California and usually grow them in the
spring. When it starts getting hot, they start dying off.

It's suggested that you sow sets of seeds a few weeks apart, if you
want continuous crop. I have such trouble getting things started from
seed that I don't bother.

Snow peas are one of the biggest producing plants that I have ever
grown. Always enough for me and usually enough for the entire office.

Susan B.
Old 13-06-2004, 11:04 PM
Craig

Thanks all for the advice. I'll try in the peas in fall again. I planted
them to late I guess. I'm in zone 6 what would be the time I should plant in
spring? I've also read that you can plant peas in late fall for early spring
harvest. Has anyone done that and had that work out - what would I have to
do to winter them?

Thanks again,
Craig K
Staten Island

"sueb" wrote in message
om...

Old 14-06-2004, 12:02 PM
Pat Kiewicz

Craig said:

Thanks all for the advice. I'll try in the peas in fall again. I planted
them to late I guess. I'm in zone 6 what would be the time I should plant in
spring? I've also read that you can plant peas in late fall for early spring
harvest. Has anyone done that and had that work out - what would I have to
do to winter them?

I normally plant my peas here as close to April 1 as possible. (It always seems
to snow at least once after the peas are planted, which doesn't bother the peas
at all.)

(attributed to Don Marti)

Old 14-06-2004, 03:04 PM
Jim Elbrecht

On Sun, 13 Jun 2004 21:21:14 GMT, "Craig"
wrote:

Thanks all for the advice. I'll try in the peas in fall again. I planted
them to late I guess. I'm in zone 6 what would be the time I should plant in
spring? I've also read that you can plant peas in late fall for early spring
harvest. Has anyone done that and had that work out - what would I have to
do to winter them?

I'm a couple hours north of you, but I always plant my peas on Good
Friday. [The only 'by the moon' planting that I do.] That
usually gets them done before the really hot weather gets here.
[Though this year we had 90' weather before they blossomed. I
think it lowered the number of blossoms-- but maybe the peas will be
sweeter]

Jim

snow snow snow! Janet Tweedy[_2_] United Kingdom 11 18-01-2013 09:37 PM
Sweet Pea Problem frostynick United Kingdom 13 05-08-2012 02:39 AM
Pea or not a pea Marq United Kingdom 2 26-03-2010 11:24 AM
A Pea problem tvrchimaera Edible Gardening 4 10-05-2008 07:17 PM
Sweet Pea Trials Faye United Kingdom 0 01-06-2003 05:20 PM