Old 13-05-2008, 03:24 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible

Default Terrible Two-Tomato Torment.

I have three tomato plants in the greenhouse, a Rutgers, a Brandywine,
and a Super Beefsteak. They are growing in large pots. Only the
Brandywine looks to be normal. The other two have developed some kind
of leaf curl in which the leaf rolls up and the underside of the leaf
turns dark purple.

I fear that cats may have gotten into the greenhouse and whizzed in
those two pots. Does anyone have the key to this mysterious 'mater
malady?
Old 13-05-2008, 04:34 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible

"www.locoworks.com" wrote in message
I have three tomato plants in the greenhouse, a Rutgers, a Brandywine,
and a Super Beefsteak. They are growing in large pots. Only the
Brandywine looks to be normal. The other two have developed some kind
of leaf curl in which the leaf rolls up and the underside of the leaf
turns dark purple.

I fear that cats may have gotten into the greenhouse and whizzed in
those two pots. Does anyone have the key to this mysterious 'mater
malady?

Sounds like it could be a nutrient problem. I have a greenhouse and only one
tomato thrived. We call it our "magic tomato" but unfortunately don't know
the name of it. It was give to me last spring. I took cuttings for the
winter. Only this one plant did well, the rest faded away. Not all tomatoes
do well in greenhouses even with the proper nutrition.

Old 13-05-2008, 05:33 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible

On May 12, 8:34�pm, "J. & J. Doe" wrote:
Not all tomatoes
do well in greenhouses even with the proper nutrition.

Damn! I wish I'd known that. The only reason I got the greenhoouse
was to grow tomatoes! I don't think that it's a nutrient problem.
The soil is that "garden" soil that is supposed to be pre-fertilized
for an entire season.

Old 13-05-2008, 02:56 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible

In article 736d3c4c-6c62-473a-aa3a-
, says...
On May 12, 8:34?pm, "J. & J. Doe" wrote:
Not all tomatoes
do well in greenhouses even with the proper nutrition.

Damn! I wish I'd known that. The only reason I got the greenhoouse
was to grow tomatoes! I don't think that it's a nutrient problem.
The soil is that "garden" soil that is supposed to be pre-fertilized
for an entire season.

I think this was posted in the newsgroup a little while back...

http://www.hbci.com/~wenonah/min-def/tomatoes.htm

Of course, it may be hard to separate the smell of cat urine from the
smell of tomato vine, but that would be a telltale.

What about removing some of the soil from the pot, taking it away and
seeing if it has that well used litter smell.
Old 13-05-2008, 03:46 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible

On May 13, 6:56�am, phorbin wrote:

Of course, it may be hard to separate the smell of cat urine from the
smell of tomato vine, but that would be a telltale.

What about removing some of the soil from the pot, taking it away and
seeing if it has that well used litter smell.

Thanks, I'll try it.

Old 16-05-2008, 01:03 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible

On May 12, 8:34�pm, "J. & J. Doe" wrote:
Not all tomatoes
do well in greenhouses even with the proper nutrition.

Damn! I wish I'd known that. The only reason I got the greenhoouse
was to grow tomatoes! I don't think that it's a nutrient problem.
The soil is that "garden" soil that is supposed to be pre-fertilized
for an entire season.

There are tomatoes out there just for greenhouse growing. Google should
bring something up. I used a mix of peat moss, bagged topsoil, bagged
composted cow manure plus some of those coarse chips called Soil Conditioner
from Lowe's. I mixed it all together and fertilized with Miracle Grow maybe
once a week. This plant was moved outside and is still producing tomatoes
and still in the 30g tub.

Old 17-05-2008, 06:15 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible

On May 15, 5:03Â*pm, "J. & J. Doe" wrote:
"www.locoworks.com" wrote in message

On May 12, 8:34�pm, "J. & J. Doe" wrote:
Â*Not all tomatoes

do well in greenhouses even with the proper nutrition.

Damn! Â*I wish I'd known that. Â*The only reason I got the greenhoouse
was to grow tomatoes! Â*I don't think that it's a nutrient problem.
The soil is that "garden" soil that is supposed to be pre-fertilized
for an entire season.

There are tomatoes out there just for greenhouse growing. Google should
bring something up. I used a mix of peat moss, bagged topsoil, bagged
composted cow manure plus some of those coarse chips called Soil Conditioner
from Lowe's. I mixed it all together and fertilized with Miracle Grow maybe
once a week. This plant was moved outside and is still producing tomatoes
and still in the 30g tub.

Well, the brandywine seems to love it in there. I shall Google for
info on some friends for it.