Old 05-07-2008, 01:15 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible

Default Today's terrible tomato travail theorem.

In past posts I bewailed the poor performance of the tomatoes in my
greenhouse, with their leaves turning over and changing to a vivid
purple hue. All the fixes suggested here had no effect. I was
distraught.

Today, just after noon, I was in the greenhouse. I went to check the
soil moisture by sticking my finger in the pots. It was moist all
right, but it was uncomfortably hot as well. The sun beating on the
pots had raised the soil to the temperature of hot coffee (or tea, if
you prefer).

Now, I have rigged some heavy plastic board to shade the pots. I
await further developments and I will post them here. Thanks to those
of you who have kept with me so far.
Old 05-07-2008, 02:07 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible

In article
,
"www.locoworks.com" wrote:

In past posts I bewailed the poor performance of the tomatoes in my
greenhouse, with their leaves turning over and changing to a vivid
purple hue.

When a deficiency in phosphorous exists, particular
symptoms can include:
Tomatoes:- Leaves dark green, purple underneath.
Very slow growth.
All the fixes suggested here had no effect. I was
distraught.

Today, just after noon, I was in the greenhouse. I went to check the
soil moisture by sticking my finger in the pots. It was moist all
right, but it was uncomfortably hot as well. The sun beating on the
pots had raised the soil to the temperature of hot coffee (or tea, if
you prefer).

Now, I have rigged some heavy plastic board to shade the pots.

I believe I suggested ventilation which would also carry off some of the
mold inducing humidity.

--

Billy
Bush and Pelosi Behind Bars
Old 05-07-2008, 03:42 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible

On Jul 4, 6:07�pm, Billy wrote:

I believe I suggested ventilation which would also carry off some of the
mold inducing humidity. I

An excellent suggestion, which I followed, with no change in the
condition of the plants. The plants are not moldy, they are just
spindly and listless-looking, with purple leaves.
Old 05-07-2008, 07:23 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible

In article
,
"www.locoworks.com" wrote:

On Jul 4, 6:07?pm, Billy wrote:

I believe I suggested ventilation which would also carry off some of the
mold inducing humidity.

Moisture and heat will generate mold. Wait for it.

An excellent suggestion, which I followed, with no change in the
condition of the plants. The plants are not moldy, they are just
spindly and listless-looking, with purple leaves.

So was the soil outside of your greenhouse as hot as it was inside?
I doubt it, if there was ventilation.

Good luck.
--

Billy
Bush and Pelosi Behind Bars
Old 05-07-2008, 12:16 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible

"www.locoworks.com" wrote in message
In past posts I bewailed the poor performance of the tomatoes in my
greenhouse, with their leaves turning over and changing to a vivid
purple hue. All the fixes suggested here had no effect. I was
distraught.

Today, just after noon, I was in the greenhouse. I went to check the
soil moisture by sticking my finger in the pots. It was moist all
right, but it was uncomfortably hot as well. The sun beating on the
pots had raised the soil to the temperature of hot coffee (or tea, if
you prefer).

Now, I have rigged some heavy plastic board to shade the pots. I
await further developments and I will post them here. Thanks to those
of you who have kept with me so far.

You can drag them outside and spray paint the pots white. Use Fuse if
they're plastic pots.

Old 05-07-2008, 12:18 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible

On Jul 4, 6:07�pm, Billy wrote:

I believe I suggested ventilation which would also carry off some of the
mold inducing humidity. I

An excellent suggestion, which I followed, with no change in the
condition of the plants. The plants are not moldy, they are just
spindly and listless-looking, with purple leaves.

Why are you growing them in a greenhouse when it's summer? They do much
better outside in the fresh air and even better when planted in the ground.

Old 05-07-2008, 06:10 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible

On Jul 5, 4:18�am, "Marie Dodge" wrote:

Why are you growing them in a greenhouse when it's summer? They do much
better outside in the fresh air and even better when planted in the ground.

This is in northern California, on the coast, near the Oregon border.
Outside daytime temperature yesterday was 64F at high noon outside,
80F in the greenhouse, with all three vents open. If I was planting
them in the ground I'd need to break through the permafrost with a
pickaxe first... well maybe, not quite, but you get the idea.
Old 05-07-2008, 06:41 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible

In article
,
"www.locoworks.com" wrote:

On Jul 5, 4:18?am, "Marie Dodge" wrote:

Why are you growing them in a greenhouse when it's summer? They do much
better outside in the fresh air and even better when planted in the ground.

This is in northern California, on the coast, near the Oregon border.
Outside daytime temperature yesterday was 64F at high noon outside,
80F in the greenhouse, with all three vents open.

First you tell us that the pots have the temperature of hot coffee.
Then, that greenhouse is 80F and that it is 64F outside. There seems
to be no way to get an intelligible answer out of you, so I bid you good
day.

Old 05-07-2008, 09:19 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible

On Jul 5, 10:41�am, Billy wrote:

First you tell us that the pots have the temperature of hot coffee.
Then, that greenhouse is 80F and that it is 64F outside. There seems
to be no way to get an intelligible answer out of you, so I bid you good
day.

Billy, the pots were in direct sunlight yesterday. The thermometer
was not. If these facts are not intelligible to you I will happily
wave goodbye to you as you bid good day.

I have just returned from the greenhouse, where the air temperature is
86F. A finger thrust into the pots finds moist soil that is warm, not
hot, a great improvement over yesterday. Shading the pots may be the
simple solution to the tomato travail. Time will tell.
Old 06-07-2008, 05:15 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible

In article
,
"www.locoworks.com" wrote:

In past posts I bewailed the poor performance of the tomatoes in my
greenhouse, with their leaves turning over and changing to a vivid
purple hue. All the fixes suggested here had no effect. I was
distraught.

Today, just after noon, I was in the greenhouse. I went to check the
soil moisture by sticking my finger in the pots. It was moist all
right, but it was uncomfortably hot as well. The sun beating on the
pots had raised the soil to the temperature of hot coffee (or tea, if
you prefer).

Now, I have rigged some heavy plastic board to shade the pots. I
await further developments and I will post them here. Thanks to those
of you who have kept with me so far.

You need to open up more ventilation in the greenhouse, and consider
some shade cloth over the roof.
--
Peace! Om

until they put their foot down." -- Stephan Rothstein

Old 06-07-2008, 02:19 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible

On Jul 5, 9:15�pm, Omelet wrote:
In article
,

�"www.locoworks.com" wrote:
[...]

Omelet,

I have considered shade cloth over the greenhouse, but I fear that the
reduction in sunlight would not be beneficial to the plants, We are
in a coastal area and have fog and overcast a good part of the time.
The problem seemed to be that when we do have full sun it raised the
temperature of the soil in the pots (not the plants) too high.
Shading the pots seems to be accomplishing this. I await further
developments.

There is a large hatch in the roof and one at each end of the
greenhouse. All three are open and there is no condensation inside.
The only way to increase the ventilation would be with a fire axe.
Old 06-07-2008, 03:17 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible
GQ GQ is offline

www.locoworks.com wrote:
On Jul 5, 9:15�pm, Omelet wrote:
In article
,

�"www.locoworks.com" wrote:
[...]

Shade cloth is available in a wide variety of percentage filtering, one
does not need to go to 95% shade when 40% will do. I don't know where
you are on the planet but we are fortunate in SA to have such a wide
variety available, and in different colours too.
Old 06-07-2008, 03:50 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible

In article
,
"www.locoworks.com" wrote:

On Jul 5, 9:15?pm, Omelet wrote:
In article
,

?"www.locoworks.com" wrote:
[...]

Just trying to help...

I live in Texas and have greenhouses.

Old 06-07-2008, 04:07 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible

On Jul 6, 7:50�am, Omelet wrote:
In article
,

�"www.locoworks.com" wrote:
On Jul 5, 9:15?pm, Omelet wrote:
In article
,

?"www.locoworks.com" wrote:
[...]

until they put their foot down." -- Stephan Rothstein- Hide quoted text -

Omelet,

Are you on the Texas coast, or more inland?
Old 06-07-2008, 05:48 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible

In article
,
"www.locoworks.com" wrote:

The only way to increase the ventilation would be with a fire axe.

Excellent idea.

Make it 1' to 2' above the ground.
--

Billy