Old 24-04-2003, 07:56 AM
Michael Westwind

Default Goose Beans

I used to have a variety we called "Goose Beans". I know there are many
beans called that, but these were white, almost perfectly round, about a
half inch wide. They were very hard, and the skin was marbled. The
plants were a little small for a pole bean, and the taste was unusual,
reminding me a little of Lima beans. I have since lost the seed source,
but I know we gave away seed to many people and other people we knew did
the same, so there might be some out there. I once saw some seed of a
"Pea Bean" that looked similar, but I have not found anything recently
that I thought was the same.

If anyone knows of this bean, or one like it, please let me know. You can
reach me at .

Thanks
Michael Westwind
Old 25-04-2003, 12:08 AM
FarmerDill

I used to have a variety we called "Goose Beans". I know there are many
beans called that, but these were white, almost perfectly round, about a
half inch wide. They were very hard, and the skin was marbled. The
plants were a little small for a pole bean, and the taste was unusual,
reminding me a little of Lima beans. I have since lost the seed source,
but I know we gave away seed to many people and other people we knew did
the same, so there might be some out there. I once saw some seed of a
"Pea Bean" that looked similar, but I have not found anything recently
that I thought was the same.

If anyone knows of this bean, or one like it, please let me know. You can
reach me at .

Thanks
Michael Westwind

Don't recollect anything that exactly matches your description. Some of the
crowder peas (vigna angularis) are called goose beans, but the blue goose is a
grey pea. Peas are quite a different family than beans. If yours had slick
leaves and vines as opposed to hairy, look at various running peas. The flavor
(shell beans) does taste more like a lima than do common (Phaseolus vulgaris)
beans,
Old 25-04-2003, 02:08 AM
Tim B

This wonderful gentleman has a huge selection of heirloom beans:
http://www.heirlooms.org/beans.html

We have had excellent results with him. Here's a goose bean picture, the
pink stripes appear only on some plants, maybe 1 in 100 for us:
http://www.heirlooms.org/beans/goose.html

"Michael Westwind" wrote in message
news
I used to have a variety we called "Goose Beans". I know there are many
beans called that, but these were white, almost perfectly round, about a
half inch wide. They were very hard, and the skin was marbled. The
plants were a little small for a pole bean, and the taste was unusual,
reminding me a little of Lima beans. I have since lost the seed source,
but I know we gave away seed to many people and other people we knew did
the same, so there might be some out there. I once saw some seed of a
"Pea Bean" that looked similar, but I have not found anything recently
that I thought was the same.

If anyone knows of this bean, or one like it, please let me know. You can
reach me at .

Thanks
Michael Westwind

OT Hungarian goose down pillows Sacha United Kingdom 19 17-08-2017 12:32 PM
Dogs eating goose grass Sacha[_3_] United Kingdom 0 09-06-2008 11:20 PM
control of crabgrass,goose grass in vinca Chas Hurst Lawns 3 24-09-2006 08:01 PM
A goose and a catfish... George Ponds 15 26-05-2004 07:05 AM
Duck, duck, goose! Monique Reed Edible Gardening 1 23-10-2003 02:22 AM