Old 16-05-2008, 02:36 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible
Sam Sam is offline

Default Best place to buy ladybugs

I would like some ladybugs for my SMALL garden. 9foot by 5 foot. I
have ants, so I assume aphids. Where is the best place online to by a
small qty of them.

Any tips for keeping them around?
Old 16-05-2008, 02:54 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible
Sam Sam is offline

I'm pretty sure those are those orangey ladybugs, and not the bright
red ones. I think they are Asian beetles. I'm pretty sure regular
ladybug are fine.

On May 16, 9:46 am, The Cook wrote:
On Fri, 16 May 2008 06:36:15 -0700 (PDT), Sam
wrote:

I would like some ladybugs for my SMALL garden. 9foot by 5 foot. I
have ants, so I assume aphids. Where is the best place online to by a
small qty of them.

Any tips for keeping them around?

Careful. I don't know the whole story, but someone brought in
ladybugs into this area a few years ago. Now they are everywhere and
do like to come in when the weather cools.
--
Susan N.

Old 16-05-2008, 03:39 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible

Sam wrote:
I'm pretty sure those are those orangey ladybugs, and not the bright
red ones. I think they are Asian beetles. I'm pretty sure regular
ladybug are fine.

The only problem, in my area anyway, was when the orange lady bugs
appeared by the thousands in the yard as well as in the house, I
haven't seen a red lady bug since. That was 5 or 6 years ago.

Tom J

Old 16-05-2008, 04:14 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible

wrote:

I would like some ladybugs for my SMALL garden. 9foot by 5 foot. I
have ants, so I assume aphids. Where is the best place online to by a
small qty of them.

Any tips for keeping them around?

Careful. I don't know the whole story, but someone brought in
ladybugs into this area a few years ago. Now they are everywhere and
do like to come in when the weather cools.

But I'll bet you have few garden pests! g They eat aphids, scale,
mealy bug and other things. Another good predator are lacewing larvae.
I got rid of a persistant scale infection on the succulents in my
greehouse using those...
--
Peace! Om

until they put their foot down." -- Stephan Rothstein

Old 16-05-2008, 04:15 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible

In article
,
Sam wrote:

I'm pretty sure those are those orangey ladybugs, and not the bright
red ones. I think they are Asian beetles. I'm pretty sure regular
ladybug are fine.

I brought in a couple of hundred here and never had a problem. The seem
to like to pupate in my asparagus patch.

Old 16-05-2008, 04:18 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible

In article
,
Sam wrote:

I would like some ladybugs for my SMALL garden. 9foot by 5 foot. I
have ants, so I assume aphids. Where is the best place online to by a
small qty of them.

Any tips for keeping them around?

Okay, so nobody else answered your question... I've seen them for sale
in various garden catalogues and I don't think it seems to matter. I
bought some beneficial nematodes at random and have had very few fleas
since!

Let's try google:

http://tinyurl.com/5e5quo

Look thru the sites the search turned up and just choose the best price
with a LIVE DELIVERY guarantee. :-)

I got lucky and got mine for free. I went out to the employee parking
lot one night and evidently they were migrating! They were all over the
cars under the lights.

I spend two hours gathering as many as I could find...

Old 16-05-2008, 06:33 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible

"Sam" wrote in message
I would like some ladybugs for my SMALL garden. 9foot by 5 foot. I
have ants, so I assume aphids. Where is the best place online to by a
small qty of them.

Any tips for keeping them around?

Don't waste your money. They will leave your garden in hours.

Old 16-05-2008, 06:36 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible

In article , Persephone
wrote:

On Fri, 16 May 2008 10:18:34 -0500, Omelet
wrote:

In article
,
Sam wrote:

I would like some ladybugs for my SMALL garden. 9foot by 5 foot. I
have ants, so I assume aphids. Where is the best place online to by a
small qty of them.

Any tips for keeping them around?

Okay, so nobody else answered your question... I've seen them for sale
in various garden catalogues and I don't think it seems to matter. I
bought some beneficial nematodes at random and have had very few fleas
since!

Let's try google:

http://tinyurl.com/5e5quo

Look thru the sites the search turned up and just choose the best price
with a LIVE DELIVERY guarantee. :-)

I got lucky and got mine for free. I went out to the employee parking
lot one night and evidently they were migrating! They were all over the
cars under the lights.

I spend two hours gathering as many as I could find...

How does one gather ladybugs?

Persephone

Picking them up off the car hoods/bonnets carefully with fingernails and
placing them gently into a jar. ;-)

Seriously, they were all over the cars in the lot! This was around
midnight.

When I was a kid, I used to gather them for mom out of a local field
where they were all over the grass.

Old 16-05-2008, 06:37 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible

In article ,
"Katey Didd" wrote:

"Sam" wrote in message
I would like some ladybugs for my SMALL garden. 9foot by 5 foot. I
have ants, so I assume aphids. Where is the best place online to by a
small qty of them.

Any tips for keeping them around?

Don't waste your money. They will leave your garden in hours.

But they left their eggs. :-) I've had a good population now for
several years. When I dumped my lot, I put them onto some grapvine
leaves that were covered in Aphids.

Feed them and they will at least leave some progeny.

You can also, as I said, purchase lacewing eggs. That way you get the
best predatory stage. The larvae.

Old 16-05-2008, 06:42 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible

"Omelet" wrote in message
news

wrote:

I would like some ladybugs for my SMALL garden. 9foot by 5 foot. I
have ants, so I assume aphids. Where is the best place online to by a
small qty of them.

Any tips for keeping them around?

Careful. I don't know the whole story, but someone brought in
ladybugs into this area a few years ago. Now they are everywhere and
do like to come in when the weather cools.

But I'll bet you have few garden pests! g They eat aphids, scale,
mealy bug and other things. Another good predator are lacewing larvae.
I got rid of a persistant scale infection on the succulents in my
greehouse using those...

I remember my ex-husband releasing them in our large vegetable garden years
ago. At least 90% were gone the next day. A few days later we didn't find
any. Same thing with praying mantis he bought. We never ordered any more
beneficials.

Old 16-05-2008, 07:01 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible

In article ,
"Katey Didd" wrote:

"Omelet" wrote in message
news

wrote:

[...]

How wet do you keep the yard?

I'm sorry you had bad luck. It worked very well for me!

I did, however, have a similar experince with a mantis casing. I found
a few the next year but the trouble with those is that they are
cannibals.

Old 16-05-2008, 09:13 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible

On Fri, 16 May 2008 12:37:52 -0500, Omelet wrote:

In article ,
"Katey Didd" wrote:

"Sam" wrote in message
I would like some ladybugs for my SMALL garden. 9foot by 5 foot. I
have ants, so I assume aphids. Where is the best place online to by a
small qty of them.

Any tips for keeping them around?

Don't waste your money. They will leave your garden in hours.

But they left their eggs. :-) I've had a good population now for
several years. When I dumped my lot, I put them onto some grapvine
leaves that were covered in Aphids.

Feed them and they will at least leave some progeny.

You can also, as I said, purchase lacewing eggs. That way you get the
best predatory stage. The larvae.

Lacewing - Don't the larvae eat azalea leaves ? Something was
devastating our azaleas. When we described the symtoms to
the local aggy extension service they said it sounded like lacewing.
It took forever to spray them away with various pesticide applications.
If you have azaleas around and you enjoy them, stick w/the ladies ...

= Me =

Old 16-05-2008, 09:43 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible

On Fri, 16 May 2008 12:33:15 -0500, Katey Didd wrote:

"Sam" wrote in message

I would like some ladybugs for my SMALL garden. 9foot by 5 foot. I
have ants, so I assume aphids. Where is the best place online to by a
small qty of them.

Any tips for keeping them around?

Don't waste your money. They will leave your garden in hours.

Not true. If they have a supply of food, and you mist your plants with
water before releasing them in the evening, they will hang out. Then if
any of them are fertile they will lay eggs. You want them to lay eggs.
After you find some eggs, protect them. When the larvae hatch, move
them, by picking a leaf they are on, and put the leaf on a plant with
problems. The larvae are what I like to have around. They start off
very small, and grow bigger and bigger each day. If you have a plant
like fennel, that is wispy, it makes a great lady bug factory. The
larvae are easy to find, little dark specks on the thin green leaves.
And if you mist it, it holds lots of tiny droplets of water. Once you
discover what the larvae and the eggs look like, and learn to protect
them, you will never be without lady bugs. Oh, one more thing, don't put
any pesticide on your plants or your lady bugs will die. Also let your
factory plant have aphids.

You can also move a leaf with egg clusters, but I find that letting them
hatch first and moving the larvae works better.

I have a very small scale garden, but I think it would work the same, if
you have time and a bigger space.

Now if I could figure out how to make the decollate snails stay.

stonerfish