Old 26-05-2008, 05:52 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible

Default Is 10-10-10 appropriate fertiliser for tomatoes

I was a little turned off by the prices of fertilisers sold for
gardens (at home depot), but I have a bag of 10-10-10 fertilizer for
lawns, the sort that does not have any herbicides (ie, not a weed and
feed type, just feed).

Would you say that this is approproate for garden with tomatoes and
peppers and so on.

Thanks

posting on Usenet.
http://improve-usenet.org/
Old 26-05-2008, 06:04 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible

Ignoramus22089 wrote:
I was a little turned off by the prices of fertilisers sold for
gardens (at home depot), but I have a bag of 10-10-10 fertilizer for
lawns, the sort that does not have any herbicides (ie, not a weed and
feed type, just feed).

Would you say that this is approproate for garden with tomatoes and
peppers and so on.

Thanks

Yes it's fine. (10-20-10 or 12-24-12 is more traditional for
vegetables) Don't use much or you'll drive the earthworms away.

Bob
Old 26-05-2008, 02:10 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible

On 2008-05-26, zxcvbob wrote:
Ignoramus22089 wrote:
I was a little turned off by the prices of fertilisers sold for
gardens (at home depot), but I have a bag of 10-10-10 fertilizer for
lawns, the sort that does not have any herbicides (ie, not a weed and
feed type, just feed).

Would you say that this is approproate for garden with tomatoes and
peppers and so on.

Thanks

Yes it's fine. (10-20-10 or 12-24-12 is more traditional for
vegetables) Don't use much or you'll drive the earthworms away.

I used 1 tbsp per bush, spread around evenly with 1 ft radius.

posting on Usenet.
http://improve-usenet.org/
Old 26-05-2008, 03:11 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible

On 2008-05-26, zxcvbob wrote:
Ignoramus22089 wrote:
I was a little turned off by the prices of fertilisers sold for
gardens (at home depot), but I have a bag of 10-10-10 fertilizer for
lawns, the sort that does not have any herbicides (ie, not a weed and
feed type, just feed).

Would you say that this is approproate for garden with tomatoes and
peppers and so on.

Thanks

Yes it's fine. (10-20-10 or 12-24-12 is more traditional for
vegetables) Don't use much or you'll drive the earthworms away.

I used 1 tbsp per bush, spread around evenly with 1 ft radius.

That should be fine. Last year, my peppers and tomatoes weren't doing
very well, except for the one tomato that was next to the compost pile.
So I gave them a little fertilizer and they took off. This year, I
bought a pick-up load of compost and tilled it in, along with my little
bit of compost. The purchased compost didn't look very rich (and it
doesn't hold much moisture), so I'll probably have to add nitrogen this
year, but going to use it sparingly.

I used shredded paper for a mulch around my peppers last year (junk
mail, statements, and bills) and the worms loved it. I had to keep
replenishing it as they pulled it down in the ground. That may even
have been part of the problem as the decomposing paper tied up the nitrogen.

Bob
Old 26-05-2008, 03:41 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible

Ignoramus22089 wrote:
On 2008-05-26, zxcvbob wrote:
Ignoramus22089 wrote:
[...]

I always used to use chicken poop for fertilizer, which worked great,
but due to neighbors snitching the chickens had to be eaten.

Has anyone tried composting lawn grass?

Maybe I should save up a pile of it from my lawnmower, and let it rot
for a year or something?

posting on Usenet.
http://improve-usenet.org/

Old 26-05-2008, 03:47 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible

Ignoramus22089 wrote:
On 2008-05-26, zxcvbob wrote:
Ignoramus22089 wrote:
[...]

Lawn clipping make good compost, but you'll need to mix shredded
newspaper with them to get it to work. I prefer to leave the lawn
clippings on the lawn to recycle the nutrients in-place, but if I let
the grass get too long, I bag the clippings (or rake them if it was
*really* long) and compost 'em.

Neighbors shouldn't have cared about you having a few chickens as long
as you didn't have a rooster. (I wish I had a couple of chickens living
under my apple tree to eat the insects)

Bob
Old 31-05-2008, 02:23 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible

:
:Maybe I should save up a pile of it from my lawnmower, and let it rot
:for a year or something?

I put just about anything green in my compost pile, lawn clippings,
leaves, whatever. Wet it occasionally, turn once in a while when I think
of it and summon the energy. If it's not completely decomposed when I
plant I mix with the planting soil anyway. The undecomposed material
will decompose eventually and gradually anyway with the moisture in the
soil and the natural bacteria and release nutrients to the plants.
That's my thinking. Plus it amends my naturally clay soil nicely.
Old 31-05-2008, 02:19 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible

On Mon, 26 May 2008 08:10:00 -0500, Ignoramus22089
wrote:

:I used 1 tbsp per bush, spread around evenly with 1 ft radius.

I put mine in gallon jugs with water ahead of need. Then I spread around
the plants after watering.
Old 26-05-2008, 07:26 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible

In article ,
Ignoramus22089 wrote:

I was a little turned off by the prices of fertilisers sold for
gardens (at home depot), but I have a bag of 10-10-10 fertilizer for
lawns, the sort that does not have any herbicides (ie, not a weed and
feed type, just feed).

Would you say that this is approproate for garden with tomatoes and
peppers and so on.

Thanks

Use it half strength, get some fish emulsion, and mulch with alfalfa or
alfalfa pellets.
--

Billy
Bush Behind Bars
Old 28-05-2008, 06:49 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible

"Ignoramus22089" wrote in message
I was a little turned off by the prices of fertilisers sold for
gardens (at home depot), but I have a bag of 10-10-10 fertilizer for
lawns, the sort that does not have any herbicides (ie, not a weed and
feed type, just feed).

Yes, it works well in a variety of veggies. I also use it in the flower beds
along with compost and some wood-ash from the fireplace. Woodash is alkaline
so don't use too much of it.

Would you say that this is approproate for garden with tomatoes and
peppers and so on.

Thanks

--
Due to extreme spam originating from Google Groups, and their
inattention

Old 31-05-2008, 02:18 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible

On Sun, 25 May 2008 23:52:37 -0500, Ignoramus22089
wrote:

:I was a little turned off by the prices of fertilisers sold for
:gardens (at home depot), but I have a bag of 10-10-10 fertilizer for
:lawns, the sort that does not have any herbicides (ie, not a weed and
:feed type, just feed).
:
:Would you say that this is approproate for garden with tomatoes and
eppers and so on.
:
:Thanks

I too was turned off by what I saw at Home Depot and bought nothing. I
usually use a 5-10-5 or 5-10-10. Last few years I've used 15-30-15
Miracle Grow, only 1/3rd as much. I'm looking around for alternatives
now, but finding nothing I like. Used to be I could buy a 20 lb bag of
5-10-5 for $8 or so in a local hardware store but I haven't been able to
find anything like that anywhere. It boggles my mind, frankly.
Old 07-06-2008, 04:02 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible

wrote:
:
::I was a little turned off by the prices of fertilisers sold for
::gardens (at home depot), but I have a bag of 10-10-10 fertilizer for
::lawns, the sort that does not have any herbicides (ie, not a weed and
::feed type, just feed).
::
::Would you say that this is approproate for garden with tomatoes and
:eppers and so on.
::
::Thanks
:
:I too was turned off by what I saw at Home Depot and bought nothing. I
:usually use a 5-10-5 or 5-10-10. Last few years I've used 15-30-15
:Miracle Grow, only 1/3rd as much. I'm looking around for alternatives
:now, but finding nothing I like. Used to be I could buy a 20 lb bag of
:5-10-5 for $8 or so in a local hardware store but I haven't been able to
:find anything like that anywhere. It boggles my mind, frankly.

I found an inexpensive source, being a 20 lb bag of 16-16-16 at Ace
Hardware. Brand is Shultz, and it includes micronutrients. They market
it as pretty much all purpose including vegetables (photo of tomato). I
figure it might be a little high on the N, but I think my tomatoes are a
bit N starved at the moment, anyway. I plan to use it very sparingly and
it will probably last me for a few years since I've determined to lean
on homemade compost very heavily. I figure with enough compost, very
little is needed in the way of commercial fertilizer (if any).

Dan
Old 07-06-2008, 04:20 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible

wrote:
:
[...]

You may want to try to intersperse beans or peas among your
other crops or rotate them as a crop on different patches in
your garden. This will give you food and put nitrogen in the soil.
Additionally, you can avoid chemical fertilizers, which cannot help your
soil and risk damaging the micro flora and fauna that promote healthier
plants. Chemical nitrogen quickly accumulates in the leaves of
plants, which in turn attract plant pests to them.
--

Billy
Bush and Pelosi Behind Bars
Old 02-06-2008, 02:16 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible

Ignoramus22089 wrote in
:

I was a little turned off by the prices of fertilisers sold for
gardens (at home depot), but I have a bag of 10-10-10 fertilizer for
lawns, the sort that does not have any herbicides (ie, not a weed and
feed type, just feed).

Would you say that this is approproate for garden with tomatoes and
peppers and so on.

You should be able to find some cheap fertilizer that dissolves in water
at Home Depot or Walmart. I got a big box of 15-30-15 at Walmart for less
than $10.

I like to fix the fertilizer with equal parts pulverized lime to take care
of ph issues and prevent blossom end rot.
Old 02-06-2008, 05:58 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible

In article , Deuteros wrote:

Ignoramus22089 wrote in
:

I was a little turned off by the prices of fertilisers sold for
gardens (at home depot), but I have a bag of 10-10-10 fertilizer for
lawns, the sort that does not have any herbicides (ie, not a weed and
feed type, just feed).

Would you say that this is approproate for garden with tomatoes and
peppers and so on.

You should be able to find some cheap fertilizer that dissolves in water
at Home Depot or Walmart. I got a big box of 15-30-15 at Walmart for less
than $10.

I like to fix the fertilizer with equal parts pulverized lime to take care
of ph issues and prevent blossom end rot.

Get some fish emulsion and use it at full strength and throw your
10-10-10 away. If you can't do that, then use it with your fish emulsion
at a quarter strength. Chemical fertilizers kill soil organisms that
will feed your plants. If you grow soil, the soil will grow your plants.
--

Billy
Bush Behind Bars