Old 26-05-2008, 05:52 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible

Default Is 10-10-10 appropriate fertiliser for tomatoes

I was a little turned off by the prices of fertilisers sold for
gardens (at home depot), but I have a bag of 10-10-10 fertilizer for
lawns, the sort that does not have any herbicides (ie, not a weed and
feed type, just feed).

Would you say that this is approproate for garden with tomatoes and
peppers and so on.

Thanks

posting on Usenet.
http://improve-usenet.org/
Old 26-05-2008, 06:04 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible

Ignoramus22089 wrote:
I was a little turned off by the prices of fertilisers sold for
gardens (at home depot), but I have a bag of 10-10-10 fertilizer for
lawns, the sort that does not have any herbicides (ie, not a weed and
feed type, just feed).

Would you say that this is approproate for garden with tomatoes and
peppers and so on.

Thanks

Yes it's fine. (10-20-10 or 12-24-12 is more traditional for
vegetables) Don't use much or you'll drive the earthworms away.

Bob
Old 26-05-2008, 07:26 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible

In article ,
Ignoramus22089 wrote:

I was a little turned off by the prices of fertilisers sold for
gardens (at home depot), but I have a bag of 10-10-10 fertilizer for
lawns, the sort that does not have any herbicides (ie, not a weed and
feed type, just feed).

Would you say that this is approproate for garden with tomatoes and
peppers and so on.

Thanks

Use it half strength, get some fish emulsion, and mulch with alfalfa or
alfalfa pellets.
--

Billy
Bush Behind Bars
Old 26-05-2008, 02:10 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible

On 2008-05-26, zxcvbob wrote:
Ignoramus22089 wrote:
I was a little turned off by the prices of fertilisers sold for
gardens (at home depot), but I have a bag of 10-10-10 fertilizer for
lawns, the sort that does not have any herbicides (ie, not a weed and
feed type, just feed).

Would you say that this is approproate for garden with tomatoes and
peppers and so on.

Thanks

Yes it's fine. (10-20-10 or 12-24-12 is more traditional for
vegetables) Don't use much or you'll drive the earthworms away.

I used 1 tbsp per bush, spread around evenly with 1 ft radius.

posting on Usenet.
http://improve-usenet.org/
Old 26-05-2008, 03:11 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible

On 2008-05-26, zxcvbob wrote:
Ignoramus22089 wrote:
I was a little turned off by the prices of fertilisers sold for
gardens (at home depot), but I have a bag of 10-10-10 fertilizer for
lawns, the sort that does not have any herbicides (ie, not a weed and
feed type, just feed).

Would you say that this is approproate for garden with tomatoes and
peppers and so on.

Thanks

Yes it's fine. (10-20-10 or 12-24-12 is more traditional for
vegetables) Don't use much or you'll drive the earthworms away.

I used 1 tbsp per bush, spread around evenly with 1 ft radius.

That should be fine. Last year, my peppers and tomatoes weren't doing
very well, except for the one tomato that was next to the compost pile.
So I gave them a little fertilizer and they took off. This year, I
bought a pick-up load of compost and tilled it in, along with my little
bit of compost. The purchased compost didn't look very rich (and it
doesn't hold much moisture), so I'll probably have to add nitrogen this
year, but going to use it sparingly.

I used shredded paper for a mulch around my peppers last year (junk
mail, statements, and bills) and the worms loved it. I had to keep
replenishing it as they pulled it down in the ground. That may even
have been part of the problem as the decomposing paper tied up the nitrogen.

Bob

Old 26-05-2008, 03:41 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible

Ignoramus22089 wrote:
On 2008-05-26, zxcvbob wrote:
Ignoramus22089 wrote:
[...]

I always used to use chicken poop for fertilizer, which worked great,
but due to neighbors snitching the chickens had to be eaten.

Has anyone tried composting lawn grass?

Maybe I should save up a pile of it from my lawnmower, and let it rot
for a year or something?

posting on Usenet.
http://improve-usenet.org/
Old 26-05-2008, 03:47 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible

Ignoramus22089 wrote:
On 2008-05-26, zxcvbob wrote:
Ignoramus22089 wrote:
[...]

Lawn clipping make good compost, but you'll need to mix shredded
newspaper with them to get it to work. I prefer to leave the lawn
clippings on the lawn to recycle the nutrients in-place, but if I let
the grass get too long, I bag the clippings (or rake them if it was
*really* long) and compost 'em.

Neighbors shouldn't have cared about you having a few chickens as long
as you didn't have a rooster. (I wish I had a couple of chickens living
under my apple tree to eat the insects)

Bob
Old 26-05-2008, 03:51 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible

Ignoramus22089 wrote:
On 2008-05-26, zxcvbob wrote:
Ignoramus22089 wrote:
[...]

Yes, exactly the point. I usually mulch the grass also. But if I can
use some of it for compost, that would be cool.

Neighbors shouldn't have cared about you having a few chickens as long
as you didn't have a rooster. (I wish I had a couple of chickens living
under my apple tree to eat the insects)

Yes, they should not have, but they did.
posting on Usenet.
http://improve-usenet.org/
Old 26-05-2008, 11:47 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible

In article ,

On 2008-05-26, zxcvbob wrote:
Ignoramus22089 wrote:

[...]

Neighbors shouldn't have cared about you having a few chickens as long
as you didn't have a rooster. (I wish I had a couple of chickens living
under my apple tree to eat the insects)

Yes, they should not have, but they did.

One way to get neighbors to ignore illicit chickens is to give them a
box of eggs once in awhile. Yes, it's bribery, but it usually works.
Old 27-05-2008, 11:58 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible

zxcvbob wrote in
:

Ignoramus22089 wrote:
On 2008-05-26, zxcvbob wrote:
Ignoramus22089 wrote:
[...]

Better still, use the grass clippings as a mulch around plants to retain
moisture and keep the weeds down. After the season, work the the
clippings into the soil. Great for the worms and the soil.

Old 27-05-2008, 03:54 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible

On 2008-05-27, TomC wrote:
zxcvbob wrote in
:

Ignoramus22089 wrote:
On 2008-05-26, zxcvbob wrote:
Ignoramus22089 wrote:
[...]

This seems like a good idea, can you clarify, do you mean to use them
as mulch around food plants like tomatoes?

How thick layer would you use?

posting on Usenet.
http://improve-usenet.org/
Old 27-05-2008, 06:06 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible

Ignoramus8233 wrote in
:

On 2008-05-27, TomC wrote:
zxcvbob wrote in
:

Ignoramus22089 wrote:
On 2008-05-26, zxcvbob wrote:
Ignoramus22089 wrote:
[...]

2-3" layer around the plants; enough to keep weeds out and moisture in.
Leave about 2" open around the plant stems so they don't rot and bugs
won't have a place to hide and eat away at the stems.
Old 28-05-2008, 12:38 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible

In article ,
TomC wrote:

Ignoramus8233 wrote in
:

On 2008-05-27, TomC wrote:
zxcvbob wrote in
:

Ignoramus22089 wrote:
On 2008-05-26, zxcvbob wrote:
Ignoramus22089 wrote:
[...]

Mulch to about 6", if you can. Mulch will feed your soil and make it
healthy but around heat dependent plants like tomatoes, it can work
as a barrier to heat. I would wait until your weather is regularly
running 85F to mulch. Then pull it back again in the fall, as the
weather starts to cool. Build it back up again for the winter or
plant green manure.

The other possibility is to use plastic sheeting (plastic mulch)
over the (organic) mulch and drip irrigation under it, to feed and
heat the soil. The down side is that it is possible to over heat
the soil, 90F, in which case the plastic should be removed until
the weather cools. At the end of the season, the plastic should be
removed to allow for the penetration of the rain into the soil and
the garden should be mulched as needed.
--

Billy
Bush Behind Bars
Old 28-05-2008, 06:49 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible

"Ignoramus22089" wrote in message
I was a little turned off by the prices of fertilisers sold for
gardens (at home depot), but I have a bag of 10-10-10 fertilizer for
lawns, the sort that does not have any herbicides (ie, not a weed and
feed type, just feed).

Yes, it works well in a variety of veggies. I also use it in the flower beds
along with compost and some wood-ash from the fireplace. Woodash is alkaline
so don't use too much of it.

Would you say that this is approproate for garden with tomatoes and
peppers and so on.

Thanks

--
Due to extreme spam originating from Google Groups, and their
inattention

Old 31-05-2008, 02:18 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible

On Sun, 25 May 2008 23:52:37 -0500, Ignoramus22089
wrote:

:I was a little turned off by the prices of fertilisers sold for
:gardens (at home depot), but I have a bag of 10-10-10 fertilizer for
:lawns, the sort that does not have any herbicides (ie, not a weed and
:feed type, just feed).
:
:Would you say that this is approproate for garden with tomatoes and
eppers and so on.
:
:Thanks

I too was turned off by what I saw at Home Depot and bought nothing. I
usually use a 5-10-5 or 5-10-10. Last few years I've used 15-30-15
Miracle Grow, only 1/3rd as much. I'm looking around for alternatives
now, but finding nothing I like. Used to be I could buy a 20 lb bag of
5-10-5 for $8 or so in a local hardware store but I haven't been able to
find anything like that anywhere. It boggles my mind, frankly.