Old 31-05-2008, 10:49 AM
Registered User

Default black spots on my tomato leaves

Just got back into gardening after many years of not bothering and grown my own tomato plants from seeds I probably put them outside a bit too early (two weeks ago) now I notice the lower leaves have black spots on them and not looking very good.
I Googled for an answer but I'm not sure I've had the definitive reply exactly, so far it's only the lower leaves and the plants have started to grow again after the sudden shock of all that cold rain...are they doomed do you think?
Old 31-05-2008, 03:39 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible

In article ,
martin godliman wrote:

Just got back into gardening after many years of not bothering and grown
my own tomato plants from seeds I probably put them outside a bit too
early (two weeks ago) now I notice the lower leaves have black spots on
them and not looking very good.
I Googled for an answer but I'm not sure I've had the definitive reply
exactly, so far it's only the lower leaves and the plants have started
to grow again after the sudden shock of all that cold rain...are they
doomed do you think?

Look at the following. They may help.

http://hgic.clemson.edu/factsheets/HGIC2217.htm

http://aggie-horticulture.tamu.edu/t...ves/index.html
--

Billy
Bush Behind Bars
Old 31-05-2008, 05:52 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible
PDM PDM is offline

"martin godliman" wrote in
message ...

Just got back into gardening after many years of not bothering and grown
my own tomato plants from seeds I probably put them outside a bit too
early (two weeks ago) now I notice the lower leaves have black spots on
them and not looking very good.
I Googled for an answer but I'm not sure I've had the definitive reply
exactly, so far it's only the lower leaves and the plants have started
to grow again after the sudden shock of all that cold rain...are they
doomed do you think?
martin godliman

Are they spots or patches? Are they black or purplish brown? Are they brown
on the outer edge of the leaf? If spots are they small or large?

If they are purplish brown starting on the lower leaves, then it sounds like
Tomato Leaf mould. This usually occurs in greenhouses but can happen outside
too.

If brown on the outer part of the leaf then blight could be the cause.

If small spots occur then a deficiency may be the cause or the cold which
has a similar affect (the plant can't access the nutrients properly if the
weather is cold.).

PDM

Old 31-05-2008, 06:55 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible

On May 31, 2:49 am, martin godliman martin.godliman.
wrote:
Just got back into gardening after many years of not bothering and grown
my own tomato plants from seeds I probably put them outside a bit too
early (two weeks ago) now I notice the lower leaves have black spots on
them and not looking very good.
I Googled for an answer but I'm not sure I've had the definitive reply
exactly, so far it's only the lower leaves and the plants have started
to grow again after the sudden shock of all that cold rain...are they
doomed do you think?

--
martin godliman

I had same problem with plastic greenhouse... trying to get early crop
in Southern Cal. I sprayed with very dilute Naccosan and cut off the
affected leaves. Removed plastic and all is Ok now.

Old 31-05-2008, 07:26 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible

In article ,
martin godliman wrote:

Just got back into gardening after many years of not bothering and grown
my own tomato plants from seeds I probably put them outside a bit too
early (two weeks ago) now I notice the lower leaves have black spots on
them and not looking very good.
I Googled for an answer but I'm not sure I've had the definitive reply
exactly, so far it's only the lower leaves and the plants have started
to grow again after the sudden shock of all that cold rain...are they
doomed do you think?

and it's spots and not burned edges of the leaf? which could mean that
they weren't hardened off properly. If that be the case you can relax
now, the damage is over, and they will recommence to develop normally.

--
Bush Behind Bars

Billy
http://au.youtube.com/watch?v=7WBB0s...eature=related
Old 31-05-2008, 10:01 PM
Registered User

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by rondoc View Post
wrote:
Just got back into gardening after many years of not bothering and grown
my own tomato plants from seeds I probably put them outside a bit too
early (two weeks ago) now I notice the lower leaves have black spots on
them and not looking very good.
I Googled for an answer but I'm not sure I've had the definitive reply
exactly, so far it's only the lower leaves and the plants have started
to grow again after the sudden shock of all that cold rain...are they
doomed do you think?

--
martin godliman

I had same problem with plastic greenhouse... trying to get early crop
in Southern Cal. I sprayed with very dilute Naccosan and cut off the
affected leaves. Removed plastic and all is Ok now.

Thanks for the replies Rondoc and the others I though when I posted I was talking on a UK forum so by south I meant London ! but I guess basic principles apply
I can't do anything until I know which of the replies are nearest to what's going on for me I suspect higher fertility might be needed in ground that has been uncultivated for some few years.
Thanks again.
Old 01-06-2008, 07:21 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible

wrote:-
[...]

If you have planted in the last two weeks, the soil fertility will have
little to do with it unless you are growing in a toxic waste site.
--

Billy
Bush Behind Bars