Old 15-06-2008, 07:23 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible

Default Pressure canners

Hi.. now that our gardens are starting to produce is anyone here a canner?
I searched all over for a canner with a pressure dial like my old canner had
and couldn't find one anywhere. The one I bought is a Presto and has the
weight and other things on top, but no pressure dial anymore. Which ones do
you prefer? Which do you feel do a better job at canning safely?

Old 16-06-2008, 01:10 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible

On Sun, 15 Jun 2008 13:23:12 -0500, "Katey Didd"
wrote:

Hi.. now that our gardens are starting to produce is anyone here a canner?
I searched all over for a canner with a pressure dial like my old canner had
and couldn't find one anywhere. The one I bought is a Presto and has the
weight and other things on top, but no pressure dial anymore. Which ones do
you prefer? Which do you feel do a better job at canning safely?

All-American models have a pressure gauge.

http://www.homesteadharvest.com/pressurecanners.html
Old 16-06-2008, 02:51 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible

wrote:

Hi.. now that our gardens are starting to produce is anyone here a canner?
I searched all over for a canner with a pressure dial like my old canner
had
and couldn't find one anywhere. The one I bought is a Presto and has the
weight and other things on top, but no pressure dial anymore. Which ones
do
you prefer? Which do you feel do a better job at canning safely?

All-American models have a pressure gauge.

http://www.homesteadharvest.com/pressurecanners.html

Hi again, we decided to take this one back and get the Presto 23 qt with the
pressure dial. I wont be canning enough to justify those over $200 canners.
The kids are grown and gone. It's just the two of us now. We're on SS, so
our income is limited. To save shipping we're going to order it from
Wal*Mart and pick it up at the store near us.

Old 16-06-2008, 02:59 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible

wrote:

Hi.. now that our gardens are starting to produce is anyone here a canner?
I searched all over for a canner with a pressure dial like my old canner
had
and couldn't find one anywhere. The one I bought is a Presto and has the
weight and other things on top, but no pressure dial anymore. Which ones
do
you prefer? Which do you feel do a better job at canning safely?

Don't be skimpy when it comes to food safety, as you are obviously
concerned about. These are pricey, to be sure, but I have never
ordered anything from Lehman's that wasn't absolutely the highest
quality and built for a lifetime.

http://www.lehmans.com/shopping/prod...ProductID=3661

Very nice but pricey. If we were still young with a growing family it would
pay. I think the Presto 23 qt should do it for us seniors. I had a Mirro
w/pressure gauge years ago and am now sorry I sold it when we moved up here
to the country. Now that we're retired we have the time to get back into
some serious gardening.

Charlie

Old 16-06-2008, 03:48 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible

wrote:

[...]

Buy it and pass it on to the family. We have the 921 model that is
over 50 years old and the only service has been replacement gaskets.

Tom J

Old 16-06-2008, 04:15 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible

Tom J wrote:

Buy it and pass it on to the family. We have the 921 model that is
over 50 years old and the only service has been replacement gaskets.

I goofed on that post. That canner hasn't even needed a gasket,
because it doesn't have one.
:-)

It's a smaller Presto Canner that has to have gaskets. :-(

Tom J

Old 16-06-2008, 05:18 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible

wrote:

Hi.. now that our gardens are starting to produce is anyone here a canner?
I searched all over for a canner with a pressure dial like my old canner had
and couldn't find one anywhere. The one I bought is a Presto and has the
weight and other things on top, but no pressure dial anymore. Which ones do
you prefer? Which do you feel do a better job at canning safely?

One benefit of the weight "jiggler" type is that they never go out of
calibration whereas the dial gauge type should be checked and, if
necessary, recalibrated before each season's use. This could be a bit
of an inconvenience but result in problems with the processed food if
not done. In the USA, I believe this check and recalibration is a
service provided by University Extension Services. Here in Canada I
know of no such service so I stick to the weight gauge type.

Ross.

Simoniz pressure washer serious problem Andy Kalsey Lawns 1 13-10-2003 04:32 PM
Maximum PSI Pressure created by DIY CO2 Harry Muscle Freshwater Aquaria Plants 2 29-03-2003 03:20 PM
low pressure mist/fog nozzles P. J. Bloodworth Orchids 3 10-03-2003 12:57 AM
Pressure washer help Mark Lawns 0 09-02-2003 05:55 PM
pressure treated wood for training boxes? John Bonsai 0 23-01-2003 04:07 PM