Old 11-07-2008, 03:05 PM
Registered User

Smile Cabbage collars

Hi

I went to my allotment this morning and somehow the 20 or so cabbage collars i put around the bae of my plants in the hope that it might help prevent root fly are no longer around the stem of the plants. Each of them are now about a foot away from the plant and there are signs of disturbance around the base!

Any ideas what could have done this, has anyone expereineced thios before and how i could prevent it from happening again?

Thanks
Old 11-07-2008, 03:33 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible

Default Cabbage collars

Hi All,
"mw80" wrote in message

Hi

I went to my allotment this morning and somehow the 20 or so cabbage
collars i put around the bae of my plants in the hope that it might
help prevent root fly are no longer around the stem of the plants. Each
of them are now about a foot away from the plant and there are signs of
disturbance around the base!

Any ideas what could have done this, has anyone expereineced thios
before and how i could prevent it from happening again?

I have had this happen to me, but do not know what has caused it. It will be
interesting to find out.

Richard M. Watkin.

Thanks

--
mw80

Old 11-07-2008, 04:37 PM
Registered User

Smile

mw80;803257 Hi

I went to my allotment this morning and somehow the 20 or so cabbage collars i put around the bae of my plants in the hope that it might help prevent root fly are no longer around the stem of the plants. Each of them are now about a foot away from the plant and there are signs of disturbance around the base!

Any ideas what could have done this, has anyone expereineced thios before and how i could prevent it from happening again?

Thanks

u say that it looks like there was some form of disturbance around your cabbages--does it look like someone might have taken them off of the
cabbages or an animal might have had something to do with it?
hope u find out soon. good luck. cyaaaaaa, sockiescat.
Old 11-07-2008, 05:37 PM
Registered User

Quote:
Originally Posted by sockiescat View Post
mw80;803257 Hi

I went to my allotment this morning and somehow the 20 or so cabbage collars i put around the bae of my plants in the hope that it might help prevent root fly are no longer around the stem of the plants. Each of them are now about a foot away from the plant and there are signs of disturbance around the base!

Any ideas what could have done this, has anyone expereineced thios before and how i could prevent it from happening again?

Thanks

u say that it looks like there was some form of disturbance around your cabbages--does it look like someone might have taken them off of the
cabbages or an animal might have had something to do with it?
hope u find out soon. good luck. cyaaaaaa, sockiescat.
Possibly an animal? I am i the Midlands and we have had lots of wind and rain but i can't imagine that would have done it?!
Old 13-07-2008, 11:39 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible
Ed Ed is offline

On 11/07/08 15:05, mw80 wrote:
Hi

I went to my allotment this morning and somehow the 20 or so cabbage
collars i put around the bae of my plants in the hope that it might
help prevent root fly are no longer around the stem of the plants. Each
of them are now about a foot away from the plant and there are signs of
disturbance around the base!

Any ideas what could have done this, has anyone expereineced thios
before and how i could prevent it from happening again?

Thanks

What are your collars made of?

Old 13-07-2008, 05:05 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible

Hi all,
"Ed" ex@directory wrote in message
et...
On 11/07/08 15:05, mw80 wrote:

I went to my allotment this morning and somehow the 20 or so cabbage
collars i put around the bae of my plants in the hope that it might
help prevent root fly are no longer around the stem of the plants. Each
of them are now about a foot away from the plant and there are signs of
disturbance around the base!

Any ideas what could have done this, has anyone expereineced thios
before and how i could prevent it from happening again?

Thanks

What are your collars made of?

Old carpet or underlay.

Richard M. Watkin.

Old 15-07-2008, 12:59 PM
Registered User

Quote:
Originally Posted by R M. Watkin View Post
On 11/07/08 15:05, mw80 wrote:

I went to my allotment this morning and somehow the 20 or so cabbage
collars i put around the bae of my plants in the hope that it might
help prevent root fly are no longer around the stem of the plants. Each
of them are now about a foot away from the plant and there are signs of
disturbance around the base!

Any ideas what could have done this, has anyone expereineced thios
before and how i could prevent it from happening again?

Thanks

What are your collars made of?

Old carpet or underlay.

Richard M. Watkin.
Mine are the purpose bought ones:

http://www.organiccatalog.com/catalo...roducts_id=518

It happened again last night!!!
Old 15-07-2008, 04:29 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible

In article , mw80.2f25e26
@gardenbanter.co.uk says...

--

-
What are your collars made of?-

Old carpet or underlay.

Richard M. Watkin.

Mine are the purpose bought ones:

http://tinyurl.com/64qyuf

It happened again last night!!!

Probably some critter moving them to get at the bugs sheltering under
them.

Moving cabbage trees. Geopelia Gardening 8 31-03-2009 10:40 PM
spiked tree collars aj United Kingdom 0 11-04-2005 04:13 PM
How early can cabbage be set out in zone 4? zxcvbob Edible Gardening 4 22-04-2003 07:44 PM
Walking Stick Cabbage Steve Harris United Kingdom 7 13-02-2003 07:26 PM
Suggestion for smaller Winter Cabbage John Towill United Kingdom 9 20-12-2002 07:42 PM