Old 29-07-2008, 06:27 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible
Ed Ed is offline

Default How can I save my dying plants?

On 29/07/08 19:17, jenijenijeni wrote:
Hi there,

I've signed up to this forum as I have recently started to grow
vegetables out on my patio/balcony in pots and am having varied
success.

A couple of weeks ago I bought some (very) reduced pepper plants from a
shop, in the hope that some tender loving care would restore them to a
healthy plant. When I got them home I realised I may have been a bit
hasty - once I cut the dead off the plants, only one was left with any
leaves (though it seems to be quite well!). The other two, now just
sticks, are sitting in 'miracle grow' soil having been repotted. They
remain sticks, and as hard as I look I see no signs of new growth.

I just followed some advice from a site which suggested cutting off all
dead/ sick leaves (already done), then watering with cold coffee and
tying a plastic bag around the entire plant to create a mini
greenhouse. I have done this on all three pepper plants, including the
healthy one, plus a half-dead kiwi plant I also purchased.

I am now worrying that I may have sealed their fate, and was hoping
that someone might be able to offer me some advice, such as what else I
can do and when (if at all) I should expect to see some new growth? Or
have I out-and-out now killed them?

Thank you in advance,

Jeni

Jeni,

It's really good that you've decided to grow some plants/herbs on your
patio/balcony.

But, if you buy plants, then buy quality plants!!! Don't buy things
that are half dead or diseased. There is no need to buy in trouble.

I don't have any advice on how your peppers might survive, but I give
you every encouragement to continue growing in the future.

And please, don't be put off if some things fail. My runner beans have
been a disaster this year, but I will try them again next year.

Your doing grand!!

Ed

Old 29-07-2008, 11:12 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible

jenijenijeni wrote in
:

[...]

I picked up some root bound tomatoes, and expected half the plants to die
off. Of those that survived, the ones that seem to be doing best are
getting partial shade and regular water. The ones that get full sun
aren't doing so well, as they're burning up.

Tomatoes are a lot heartier than peppers, so you might not get the same
results.

Puckdropper

Old 31-07-2008, 01:44 AM
Registered User

I wont be discouraged! I am leaving those plants the way suggested by the site I looked at, and if they live, great - if not, I do still have a few success stories this year! No fruit yet... but there's always next year!

The coffee thing seemed strange, but then Starbucks give away coffee grinds for gardening, so maybe it does work!
Old 31-07-2008, 05:20 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible

--
jenijenijeni

Coffee grinds are useful for compost, I feed them to my composting
worms. Be careful, because coffee/coffee grinds are a bit acidic. I
put them with my tomato plants as well as my hydrangeas when I want
them to be more "blue."

Simon

How to save dying plant? starrburst Gardening 1 05-11-2004 09:15 PM
Help: Fish STILL dying (was "fish are dying" JGW Ponds 16 15-06-2004 01:06 AM
Can I save my plants n shrubs? shannie United Kingdom 16 06-04-2004 09:50 PM
Can I save this paph? ceng Orchids 3 09-02-2003 08:01 AM
Is my lewisia dying back or actually dying! Lynda Thornton United Kingdom 2 23-10-2002 06:36 PM