Old 02-04-2004, 04:24 AM
shannie

Default Can I save my plants n shrubs?

Hi All,

Im really hoping someone can help me on this. Due to circumstances very much
beyond my control it is necessary for me to move house this year, probably
in mid/late summer. The house is to be demolished to make a road (the price
of progress!!) so I am able to take the plants I want to take with me. Last
year we did a huge revamp of the gardens and there are some very new plants
I'd like to take, phormiums (sp?) bottle brush, dogwoods, cottoneaster, and
some other assorted shrubs and grass's. There is a japenese maple, planted
three years ago and a horse chestnut tree I've been growing since it was a
conker, it's about 8ft tall now and the sticky buds are just begining to
open. I have lots of 45gallon drums which I can cut in half and Im thinking
if I dig up the plants now and pop them into them then they'd be ready for
transporting for late summer. Is this the best way to go? Or does anyone
have any other ideas/suggestions I could go with. One way or another Im to
lose lots of my plants so I figure it's worth trying to save some.

TIA

Shannie

Old 02-04-2004, 04:24 AM
Emrys Davies

'Shannie',

You be able to save those shrubs|trees if you follow a few simple rules
as outlined in these informative sites.

http://www.ext.nodak.edu/extpubs/pla...ees/f1147w.htm

http://gardenline.usask.ca/trees/moving.html

As you will see it is important that you secure an ample rootball, wrap
it in hessian or similar and keep it moist. Spray the whole plant in
hot weather to replace lost moisture caused by the root disturbance and
if practical shade from direct sunshine.

I wish you luck.

Regards,
Emrys Davies.

Old 02-04-2004, 04:24 AM
David Hill

"........Due to circumstances very much beyond my control it is necessary
for me to move house this year, probably in mid/late summer. The house is to
be demolished to make a road (the price of progress!!) so I am able to take
the plants I want to take with me. ..........."

Lift and pot as much as you can ASAP. But remember if you use large
containers they will be HEAVY and if you have an 8ft or so tree ...How will
you transport it?
Will you have a week or so to move the plants from one property to another?
It's not a mornings work

--
David Hill
Abacus nurseries

Old 02-04-2004, 04:24 AM
shannie

"David Hill" wrote in message
"........Due to circumstances very much beyond my control it is necessary
for me to move house this year, probably in mid/late summer. The house is

be demolished to make a road (the price of progress!!) so I am able to

take
the plants I want to take with me. ..........."

Lift and pot as much as you can ASAP.

Great looks like that's my weekend sorted

But remember if you use large
containers they will be HEAVY and if you have an 8ft or so tree ...How

will
you transport it?

My partner drives a truck so transportation isn't a problem, it's got one of
those hydraulic lift things on the back so that's a bonus!

Will you have a week or so to move the plants from one property to

another?
It's not a mornings work

Yes, we're taking a fortnight to do the move, a week for the garden (incl
greenhouse) and a week for the house, well, that's the idea anyway.

Thanks for that David.
Shan

--
David Hill
Abacus nurseries

Old 02-04-2004, 04:24 AM
shannie

"shannie" wrote in message

it is necessary for me to move house this year, probably
in mid/late summer. The house is to be demolished to make a road (the price
of progress!!) so I am able to take the plants I want to take with me. I

"Emrys Davies" wrote in message
'Shannie',
You be able to save those shrubs|trees if you follow a few simple rules as
outlined in these informative sites.
http://www.ext.nodak.edu/extpubs/pla...ees/f1147w.htm
http://gardenline.usask.ca/trees/moving.html
As you will see it is important that you secure an ample rootball, wrap it
in hessian or similar and keep it moist. Spray the whole plant in
hot weather to replace lost moisture caused by the root disturbance and if
practical shade from direct sunshine.
I wish you luck.

Regards,
Emrys Davies.

Thank-you Emrys, just the kind of sites I was looking for and couldn't find

Shan

Old 06-04-2004, 09:45 PM
Janet Baraclough..

The message
from "shannie" contains these words:

Hi All,

I have lots of 45gallon drums which I can cut in half and Im thinking
if I dig up the plants now and pop them into them then they'd be ready for
transporting for late summer. Is this the best way to go? Or does anyone
have any other ideas/suggestions I could go with. One way or another Im to
lose lots of my plants so I figure it's worth trying to save some.

You'll find most will easily survive being dug up and
container-planted at this time of year. Any that you can fit into
smaller containers than 45 gall, do; lighter and much more manageable.
If you were thinking of putting several plants together in one drum, I'd
recommend not. A single container per plant is much better. It ALWAYS
takes much longer that anticipated to get round to replanting after the
move (I still have lifted plants waiting 18 months later, perfectly
happy in their pot). During the wait, mixed plants would get their roots
all tangled together and separating them will cause a lot more shock
than just slipping a single one out of its own container with soil and
roots intact. Hotels, restaurants, institutional and commercial kitchens
etc often throw out useful sizes of plastic containers.

Sounds a bit of a bum situation, sorry about that. Hope all goes well

Janet

Old 06-04-2004, 09:45 PM
JennyC

"shannie" wrote

"........Due to circumstances very much beyond my control it is necessary
for me to move house this year, probably in mid/late summer.

Beg borrow or steal whatever containers you can. I found some excellent huge
plastic tubs in a skip outside a Chinese restaurant when in a similar situation
to you ! In fact two roses and a Rhus are still in their 'Chinese pots.

If you run out of pots for smaller shrubs you can put them into heavy duty
dustbin bags. This keeps the moisture in and they will be OK for some time
provided you water them.

Jenny

Old 06-04-2004, 09:46 PM
Kay Easton

In article , Janet Baraclough.
.. writes
[...]

Even plastic carrier bags will do at a pinch.
--
Kay Easton

Edward's earthworm page: