Old 22-08-2008, 12:58 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible,rec.gardens

Default Ironite Questions?

"Marie Dodge" wrote

"Steve Young" bowtieATbrightdslDOTnet wrote

"Marie Dodge" wrote

"polecanoe" wrote

i think it is illegal to sell this toxic waste in most states. get
greensand.

They don't sell greensand here that I know of, and I have 3 large veggie
gardens. What well known stores carry it?

http://www.fertrell.com/soil_amendments.html
http://www.fertrell.com/outlets.html

Thanks. It's odd they have no prices listed for their products. People
have to call for prices.

Actually, I gave you the first link so you could see the amendments used for
organic farming, perhaps learn some of the tricks / solutions we have at our
disposal.

I gave you the second link so you could use it as fodder for searching out a
dealer near you. It is a list you could poke and learn. But, alas, all you
want to do is whine about money.

There's a reason why po folks is po folks

Steve Young

Old 22-08-2008, 09:28 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible,rec.gardens

"Steve Young" bowtieATbrightdslDOTnet wrote in message

Actually, I gave you the first link so you could see the amendments used
for
organic farming, perhaps learn some of the tricks / solutions we have at
our
disposal.

I gave you the second link so you could use it as fodder for searching out
dealer near you. It is a list you could poke and learn. But, alas, all
you
want to do is whine about money.

Alas, I don't have your income and you seem frustrated that not everyone can
afford organic gardening. Why does it bother you so that not everyone has
that kind of money? There was no info there as to how much the products are
or how much is needed for the average garden. So tell me since you're
familiar with the prices... how much would I need for 1000 sw ft garden and
about how much would it cost?

There's a reason why po folks is po folks

Yep, unexpected emergencies. Family issues. Job loss. Two serious
accidents in the recent past. High cost of living. We're not all as
fortunate as someone like you.

Steve Young

Old 22-08-2008, 09:50 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible,rec.gardens

In article , "Marie Dodge"
wrote:

Alas, I don't have your income and you seem frustrated that not everyone can
afford organic gardening.

Is you joshin'? It's too expensive to not have to buy lots of harmful
chemicals for the garden? Or do you mean you can't afford to waist money
on the rarely needed natural products (which tend to cost the same or less
than any other product for the same use) when you have to save funds for
lots of costly chemical swill?

On organically balanced garden with diverse plant species needs no
artificial soil ammendments and is less inclined to pest or disease
problems, incurring few costs. A garden that is out of balance (probably
from chemical use) will be more rather than less susceptible to return of
diseases and pests (for many reasons, such as the fact that harmful
insects bounce back more quickly than the beneficial insects pesticides
also eradicate), inducing the "need" for further purchases of costly
harmful chemicals.

In short, organic gardening is gardening on the cheap! Non-organic methods
feed into themselves -- expense builds on expense.

-paghat the ratgirl
--
visit my temperate gardening website:
http://www.paghat.com
Old 23-08-2008, 01:11 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible,rec.gardens

"paghat" wrote in message
In article , "Marie Dodge"
wrote:

Alas, I don't have your income and you seem frustrated that not everyone
can
afford organic gardening.

Is you joshin'? It's too expensive to not have to buy lots of harmful
chemicals for the garden?

What harmful chemicals? Organicide? Neem Oil? Pyrethrum? Malathion (the
cheapest).... I don't follow you.

Or do you mean you can't afford to waist money
on the rarely needed natural products (which tend to cost the same or less
than any other product for the same use) when you have to save funds for
lots of costly chemical swill?

Excuse me.... Malathion was one of the cheapest of the lot. The organics
didn't work. I tried them first as you already know.

On organically balanced garden with diverse plant species needs no
artificial soil ammendments and is less inclined to pest or disease
problems, incurring few costs.

Exactly! This is an unusual infestation in the one "balanced" garden of
diverse plant species.

A garden that is out of balance (probably
from chemical use) will be more rather than less susceptible to return of
diseases and pests (for many reasons, such as the fact that harmful
insects bounce back more quickly than the beneficial insects pesticides
also eradicate), inducing the "need" for further purchases of costly
harmful chemicals.

And yet this one garden has never once been sprayed since this is it's
second year of use. It laid fallow for 2 years after my accident.

In short, organic gardening is gardening on the cheap!

You haven't priced organic products then. Are you getting all your fish
emulsion etc. for free? Here it's $8.99 a small bottle -enough for one
tomato or pepper plant for the season.

Non-organic methods
feed into themselves -- expense builds on expense.

Yep! That's why I should have bypassed the expensive useless organic sprays
as soon as I saw the first insects appear rather than use them and let the
population build as it did.

-paghat the ratgirl

Old 29-08-2008, 06:32 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible,rec.gardens

"paghat" wrote in message
In article , "Marie Dodge"
wrote:

Alas, I don't have your income and you seem frustrated that not everyone
can
afford organic gardening.

Is you joshin'? It's too expensive to not have to buy lots of harmful
chemicals for the garden? Or do you mean you can't afford to waist money
on the rarely needed natural products (which tend to cost the same or less
than any other product for the same use) when you have to save funds for
lots of costly chemical swill?

I have no idea what you're talking about. I posted the prices of organic
products from the Co-Op store. What chemical swill are you talking about?
The Organic oils and Soaps? Pyrethrum? All those expensive products I
tried that didn't work?

On organically balanced garden with diverse plant species needs no
artificial soil ammendments and is less inclined to pest or disease
problems, incurring few costs.

In your fanatical dreams. Balanced gardens occur in Nature, not in a bean
patch or tomato patch. Pests will be attracted to any plant they use as food
or for reproduction, be that plant healthy or sickly. You need to do some
studying on crop pests. A sickly plant will succumb faster than a healthy
one. That's the only difference.

A garden that is out of balance (probably
from chemical use) will be more rather than less susceptible to return of
diseases and pests (for many reasons, such as the fact that harmful
insects bounce back more quickly than the beneficial insects pesticides
also eradicate), inducing the "need" for further purchases of costly
harmful chemicals.

And useless Organic pesticides that don't work. Agreed, that's why these
gardens were not sprayed with chemicals untill everything else had been
tried.

In short, organic gardening is gardening on the cheap! Non-organic methods
feed into themselves -- expense builds on expense.

LOL!!!! Those products are cheap? Now I know you're dreaming or have stock
in one of the Co's that produce this stuff! A measly 4 lb bag of Kelp Meal
was $17.99, say $18.00 or almost $130 to do my gardens. And that's just for
the Kelp Meal........ you must live in lala land or are very wealthy.

-paghat the ratgirl

Old 29-08-2008, 06:56 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible,rec.gardens

"Marie Dodge" wrote

"paghat" wrote

In short, organic gardening is gardening on the cheap! Non-organic
methods
feed into themselves -- expense builds on expense.

LOL!!!! Those products are cheap? Now I know you're dreaming or have
stock in one of the Co's that produce this stuff!
A measly 4 lb bag of Kelp Meal was $17.99, say $18.00
or almost $130 to do my gardens. And that's just for the Kelp
Meal........ you must live in lala land or are very wealthy.

You use the products incorrectly and you insist on buying the most expensive
(organically certified). I buy kelp at a feed mill for under $1 a pound. I
garden 3 times the space you do and my annual sack cost is under $100. What
is it that I'm doing wrong?

Old 30-08-2008, 05:05 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible,rec.gardens

"Steve Young" bowtieATbrightdslDOTnet wrote in message
"Marie Dodge" wrote

"paghat" wrote

In short, organic gardening is gardening on the cheap! Non-organic
methods
feed into themselves -- expense builds on expense.

LOL!!!! Those products are cheap? Now I know you're dreaming or have
stock in one of the Co's that produce this stuff!
A measly 4 lb bag of Kelp Meal was $17.99, say $18.00
or almost $130 to do my gardens. And that's just for the Kelp
Meal........ you must live in lala land or are very wealthy.

You use the products incorrectly and you insist on buying the most
expensive (organically certified).

You can stop the justifications. This was the only Kelp Meal to be found
and I must have made 20 phone calls. Are you going to tell me I can buy, and
pay shipping besides, for less than that? There's nothing on the bag that
says it's certified by any org. It's Espoma brand. Already you're accusing
us of using it incorrectly and the bag hasn't even been opened yet! LOL!!!
Funnier yet,... you're accusing the co that makes it of giving the buyer the
WRONG advice. Yoo Hoooo... try reading the bag.

I buy kelp at a feed mill for under $1 a pound. I
garden 3 times the space you do and my annual sack cost is under $100.
What is it that I'm doing wrong?

So you think I have access to your feed mill? There are no feed mills, as
such, where I live. The last feed mill now supplies the yuppies in the new
subdivisions with fertilizers and weed killers, lawn mowers and flea spray
for their dogs. Why are you assuming everyone has access to what YOU have?

Old 30-08-2008, 05:22 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible,rec.gardens

Default Ping: Marie

Marie Dodge wrote:

[...]

What exactly are you trying to accomplish? Kelp meal? WTF?
Old 30-08-2008, 12:47 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible,rec.gardens

Jangchub said:

You're doing nothing wrong Steve. You are caught in the troll trap
called Marie Dodge.

Googling the posting history...scanning the group list...the number
of postings...

Yeah.

After enlightenment, the laundry.

Ironite Questions? Marie Dodge Gardening 210 15-02-2011 04:34 PM
Soils and adding IRONITE madgardener Gardening 17 09-06-2004 05:26 AM
Soils and adding IRONITE madgardener Gardening 3 04-05-2004 03:03 PM
Ironite J Kolenovsky Gardening 7 09-12-2003 11:03 PM
Ironite on lawn? Ron Lawns 1 09-06-2003 05:08 AM