Old 22-08-2008, 08:42 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible,rec.gardens

Default Ironite Questions?

"Jangchub" wrote in message
On Fri, 22 Aug 2008 02:19:17 -0500, "Marie Dodge"
wrote:

Oh, I use the Ironite once a year. It's turned over with the fertilizer
and
organic matter. I'll see what Seaweed costs. I may not be able to afford
spray a 900 to 100 sq. ft of garden every 10 days with it. To spray the
plants lightly takes 3 to 4 gallons of water. More organic fertilizers are
now being priced outside our budget. I can no longer afford bone and blood
meal. Organic gardening is becoming something for those of higher incomes,
not for the retired.

You are overusing Ironite. I mean, use it if you want, but you are
wasting money by using it too often. What are the symptoms you get
which tell you to apply Ironite yearly?

The plants are not a good rich green color once planted out in the gardens.
The get paler as summer passes. The soil is alkaline from natural limestone
locking up any iron in the soil. By late summer they're almost chlorotic.
That doesn't happen with Ironite. Also, our Hollies and Azaleas would die
from chlorosis before we started using sulfur and Ironite. I did buy some
stuff for Hollies and Azaleas this year. I didn't use the Ironite on them.
But who knows what poisons are in any of these products? There's no way to
know. How can I even know what's in the 10-10-10 I buy?

I' d be more honored if they ate their natural diet and not my veggies.
Wild turkeys were out under the pear tree today munching on the fallen
pears. Actually we don't suffer too much damage from animals.

What do scavengers eat naturally?

That depends on which scavenger you're talking about. Even humans can fit
into that category. Insects and bugs are the worst garden pests here, not
animals.

Old 22-08-2008, 09:03 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible,rec.gardens

In article ,
"Marie Dodge" wrote:

The plants are not a good rich green color once planted out in the gardens.
The get paler as summer passes. The soil is alkaline from natural limestone
locking up any iron in the soil. By late summer they're almost chlorotic.
That doesn't happen with Ironite. Also, our Hollies and Azaleas would die
from chlorosis before we started using sulfur and Ironite. I did buy some
stuff for Hollies and Azaleas this year. I didn't use the Ironite on them.
But who knows what poisons are in any of these products? There's no way to
know. How can I even know what's in the 10-10-10 I buy?

Sometimes you just canąt grow an acid loving plant in a alkaline area.
Sure you can try to over ride this limitation but it requires energy aka
money. AND the odds are not in your favor.

http://www.demesne.info/Garden-Help/Solutions/Soil/Alkaline-Soils.htm

http://www.gardeninghelpuk.com/plants_for_acid_soil.htm

What state do you reside in?

I have to deal with Acid here in NJ.

Bill

--
Garden in shade zone 5 S Jersey USA
Old 22-08-2008, 11:30 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible,rec.gardens

"Bill" wrote in message
In article ,
"Marie Dodge" wrote:

[...]

I'm on limestone rock in TN. As the Azaleas died I haven't replaced them.
The Hollies are doing great in their mix of compost, sand, clay soil and
Ironite. Now that we have the Internet I look up plants before I buy them.
They shouldn't be selling plants here that need acid soil.

Bill

--
Garden in shade zone 5 S Jersey USA

Old 22-08-2008, 11:43 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible,rec.gardens

"Jangchub" wrote in message
On Fri, 22 Aug 2008 14:42:03 -0500, "Marie Dodge"
wrote:

The plants are not a good rich green color once planted out in the
gardens.
The get paler as summer passes. The soil is alkaline from natural
limestone
locking up any iron in the soil. By late summer they're almost chlorotic.
That doesn't happen with Ironite. Also, our Hollies and Azaleas would die
from chlorosis before we started using sulfur and Ironite. I did buy some
stuff for Hollies and Azaleas this year. I didn't use the Ironite on them.
But who knows what poisons are in any of these products? There's no way to
know. How can I even know what's in the 10-10-10 I buy?

Oh, this explains it. You are trying to grow plants which absoltely
detest those conditions. If you use 1/4 cup of black strap molassas
with 1/2 cup of epsom salts to a gallon of water you will be providing
the iron you need. The magnesium helps unlock to soils iron. There
is plenty there.

Magnesium (Epsom Salts) is added at planting time for the veggies and
flowers. No more shrubs will be planted as they need too much water in this
climate.

Ironite, if used, should only be used once every
three to five years or you risk overdoing it. Ironite kills soil
biota which is far more important than using Ironite to green things
up.

I found no sites showing Ironite kills soil biota, frogs, turtles, birds,
earthworms, grubs or anything else that may wander into a garden.

If you use a quality fertilizer like Medina you will be in a much
better position. However, you've come up with many excuses or reasons
to continue using Ironite so maybe this discussion should end. It's a
waste of time.

Unless you can prove that to me, and then loan me several hundred dollars to
buy it - why push it on me? So far I've tried several organic things that
someone on these groups and forums told me worked and it was bullcrap. Then
when these expensive useless products don't work, you pro-organic fanatics
get ****ed off and insist they worked for their mother's neighbor's son's
father-in-law's cousin.........

Why didn't you just answer the questions I asked in stead of trying to push
your favorite soil amendments off on me? I already have several loads of
free organic matter to go into the garden this fall. How many people have
been sickened or killed by Ironite? Where are the statistics children are
somehow ingesting lead from Ironite treated soil? Where are the studies?
Very little Ironite is needed. You seem to think 50lb sacks are dumped in
the gardens. One coffee can full does one whole garden for the season.

That depends on which scavenger you're talking about. Even humans can fit
into that category. Insects and bugs are the worst garden pests here, not
animals.

Humans are not scavengers. Scavengers eat anything, including carion.

OK, we don't have wolves here but do have Buzzards. The buzzies don't bother
gardens. Humans in their natural state will eat almost anything other than
carrion.

Humans are omnivores and we're on the top of the food chain.

And this has WHAT to do with the issues concerning the use of Ironite?

Old 23-08-2008, 01:18 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible,rec.gardens

"Jangchub" wrote in message

I am going to say this one last thing;

Oh for **** sake go away.

Why? Because I'm not a rabid organic fanatic? I see how you side-stepped the
questions concerning Ironite.

Old 23-08-2008, 03:21 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible,rec.gardens

In article , Jangchub
wrote:

On Fri, 22 Aug 2008 17:43:50 -0500, "Marie Dodge"
wrote:

[...]

Oh hee hee, i get it now, the Dodger is a standard issue troll! One of
those guys who never had enough attention from their mommies! He slipped
right past me with that good basic troll-trick of pretending to be female
human such as might deserve to be taken seriously for a minute. Cuz you
just can't overestimated human capacity for iggerunce and worth trying to
help such an "invalid" at least once before they're sent into the land of
the plonked.

Sometimes trolls are FUNNY since living in their mommy's basement & never
having been on a date, they have lots of time to think up puns between
posts. Punning is wayyy important to trolls and twelve year olds, but
Dodgy One seems to have only hit age ten. Since none of it's witty even on
childhood's level, I'm now only reading whoever responds to the trollings
as the perpetrator lacks even the usual low level of troll charm to waste
time reading. If you get witty on his ass I'll notice that though.

-paghat the ratgirl
--
visit my temperate gardening website:
http://www.paghat.com

Ironite Questions? Marie Dodge Gardening 210 15-02-2011 04:34 PM
Soils and adding IRONITE madgardener Gardening 17 09-06-2004 05:26 AM
Soils and adding IRONITE madgardener Gardening 3 04-05-2004 03:03 PM
Ironite J Kolenovsky Gardening 7 09-12-2003 11:03 PM
Ironite on lawn? Ron Lawns 1 09-06-2003 05:08 AM