Old 26-08-2008, 09:58 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible

Default Tea

Does anyone here grow tea? I was thinking the other night that I know
of no one who does...Guess I'll have to research the issue, but it
could be kinda fun...
Old 03-09-2008, 05:13 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible

On Tue, 26 Aug 2008 13:58:28 -0700 (PDT), Merryb wrote:

Does anyone here grow tea? I was thinking the other night that I know
of no one who does...Guess I'll have to research the issue, but it
could be kinda fun...

Like the original poster I am interested in growing tea, as in the tree or shrub
that yields the leaves for common tea. I am not finding any local sources for
tea trees/ shrubs, but think they should grow in growth zone 7/8 if they grow in
similar parts of China. Anybody with any information out there?

Old 04-09-2008, 03:51 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible

On Aug 26, 1:58 pm, Merryb wrote:
Does anyone here grow tea? I was thinking the other night that I know
of no one who does...Guess I'll have to research the issue, but it
could be kinda fun...

Tea comes from the a species of Camellia:
Camellia sinensis.
You will probably need to find a mail order source for plants.

Emilie
Old 04-09-2008, 05:27 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible

"Vandy Terre" wrote in message
On Tue, 26 Aug 2008 13:58:28 -0700 (PDT), Merryb wrote:

Does anyone here grow tea? I was thinking the other night that I know
of no one who does...Guess I'll have to research the issue, but it
could be kinda fun...

Like the original poster I am interested in growing tea, as in the tree or
shrub
that yields the leaves for common tea.

By "common tea" I assume you mean the black tea leaves one puts in a teapot
and then pour water on.

If you mean that, then it is actually fermented and is called (IIRC) 'black
tea'.

Tea leaves which you would harvest from a garden camellia plant and dry for
home use actually end up as what we in the west would call 'green tea'.
These two teas just come from common old camellia sinensis which has
relatively small and insignificant flowers nad it is also a reasonably
common plant so shouldn't be too hard to find.

IIRC, if you want to make 'black tea', you have to first sweat the leaves
and leave them for a reasonably short time to ferment and then dry them to
end up with a product you'd use in your teapot.

Old 04-09-2008, 04:53 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible

There are instructions for home processing of tea (Camellia sinensis) in
Rosalind Creasy's book, Edible Landscaping. It is laborious, but it works,
and makes great tea. (Same leaves but different process for black or green
tea.)

You can mail-order plants from territorialseed.com, and undoubtedly others.
A few years ago there was a mania for named cultivars, the idea being that
different varieties would produce different tea, like wine and grapes. I
think that may have died down by now.

There used to be a tea plantation in Charleston, SC.
http://www.usatoday.com/money/smallb...ston-tea_x.htm
Don't know what's happening with it now. I ordered some of their tea many
years ago, and, I'm sorry to say, it was awful.

I have a couple of (unnamed) tea plants that have disappointed me with their
floppy growth habit. I was hoping to use them as a screen, but they're the
wrong shape. I think the common wisdom is that they like similar conditions
to Camellia japonica, flowering camellias. Don't count on the flowers of C.
sinensis for anything, though; they really are insignificant. (bloom in the
fall)

HTH

--

Visit
www.insectgraphics.com for all your insect gift needs

Old 24-09-2008, 10:23 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible

On Sep 3, 9:27*pm, "FarmI" ask@itshall be given wrote:
[...]

Hi- I just checked and saw I got some responses! Thanks for your
input- I think it would be fun to try, along with making chocolate
from the bean up! I guess I will check out some local nurseries-Thanks
again!

[IBC] SV: [IBC] Fukien Tea tree Per Arne Pedersen Bonsai 2 17-03-2008 01:30 PM
Looking For *Smoky* Hybrid Tea Rose KarenS6556 Roses 2 27-02-2003 09:07 PM
Fukien Tea Phil Bonsai 0 25-02-2003 05:28 AM
[IBC] SV: [IBC] Fukien Tea tree Per Arne Pedersen Bonsai 2 03-02-2003 03:48 PM
[IBC] Fukien Tea tree Per Arne Pedersen Bonsai 2 03-02-2003 01:34 PM