Old 05-10-2008, 04:07 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible

Default More on horse manure

I haven't posted here in quite a few years and have peeked in to see an
interesting thread about horse manure. I regularly use fresh horse
manure in the garden with no ill results.

A friend posted these results when she had her chicken and horse manure
tested. As you can see, horse manure is pretty low in nitrogen. It
definitely improves the organic content of the soil but IME, the chances
of burning is low.

The results:

"in the never ending quest to kill time,I thought I'd publish our
manure sample results...one is horse manure and the other chicken
litter..both about 60dys old:

lbs per ton horse

.365 N
8.39 P
11.4 K

moisture 45.2%

lbs per ton litter

23.2 N
80.3 P
70.1 K

moisture 37%"

Years ago, I remember reading an article which compared the nitrogen
content of the manures of various farm animals and horses were at the
bottom, and poultry was at the top, and these results support that ranking.

We generally don't like to use herbicides around horses, even safe ones,
because horses are born trying to commit suicide and are relatively
"delicate", especially gastrointestinally speaking.

Some people do use feed-thru fly control (most well known is Equitrol
mfg. by Farnam Corp.) but there are questions about the safety of that.
If you google Equitrol, you can find a lot of data about it including
the MSDS at:
http://msds.farnam.com/m000238.htm

A LOT of horse owners who used to use Equitrol have switched to fly
predators instead.

BTW, I still had to add significant nitrogen to my garden even though I
regularly add horse manure all winter. P & K values were good though.

Hope this is interesting info for someone.

Regards,
Mary
Zone 6, CT

Old 07-10-2008, 01:39 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible

"Mary McHugh" wrote in message
[...]

Another nice thing about chicken feces is its counter PH effect upon soil
with high alkaline content. Even works on pure caliche.
--
Dave

Old 07-10-2008, 04:26 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible

On Oct 5, 11:07*am, Mary McHugh wrote:
[...]

I got some horse manure, aged, that gave me so many weeds in that
garden that I am loathe to use it again. What do you do about that?
Nan in DE
Old 07-10-2008, 11:16 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible

In article e65e9c42-b139-40d1-891c-22af83c57631
@m36g2000hse.googlegroups.com, says...

I got some horse manure, aged, that gave me so many weeds in that
garden that I am loathe to use it again. What do you do about that?
Nan in DE

I'd probably incorporate it into a compost pile that's built to heat up
fast and stay hot long enough to kill the weed seeds.
Old 08-10-2008, 01:02 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible

"Nanzi" wrote in message

I got some horse manure, aged, that gave me so many weeds in that
garden that I am loathe to use it again. What do you do about that?
______________________________________

You mulch and then you weed anything that comes through the mulch.

There is no such thing as a garden where weeding can be avoided as there is
alwyas wind borne weed seeds and if you use animal manures other than
poultry manure, there will always be weeds.

I'm so convinced of the improvements that horse manure makes to my soil that
I put up with any amount of weeding because I believe that horse manure is a
magic ingredient.

Old 09-10-2008, 03:11 AM
Registered User

Location: Armidale, northern tablelands, new south wales , Australia

G'day. Just reading the post. I always use Horse manure on my patch. Horses in Aust. are wormed regularly, so we have to leave the manure for three months to nullify the effects of chemicals etc. I do compost with paper and leaves and garden scraps. Heat composting , as opposed to cold composting, will kill most weed seeds in the manure. Like someone else said, it is a bit low in nitrogen, but if you mix it with other stuff in the compost it will be balanced. It really is a great soil improver. Hope this helps.ad. x x
Old 09-10-2008, 03:11 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible

"ozadam" wrote in message

G'day. Just reading the post. I always use Horse manure on my patch.
Horses in Aust. are wormed regularly, so we have to leave the manure
for three months to nullify the effects of chemicals etc.

I've read that comment often and I disagree with it. I think it's an old
wive's tale and it also isn't a view that I've been able to find has much
support in the scientific literature on vermicides.

The worms found in horses are an entirely different species to earthworms.

I collect my horsepoop from a farm which has 20+ horses and where the owner
has a regular worming program. The poops are cleared out of the stable or
paddock every day and always placed in 2 piles in 2 particular spots. These
spots have been in regular use for at least 15 years.

I've been collecting the poops from these spots for years now and there are
always worms there. Mostly the worms there are the ones I call Red
Wrigglers which are the real manure worms but sometimes the worms are just
the normal earthworms. I collect then up too as I'm not going to let a free
earthworm escape from going into my garden.

I also spread horse poop as it comes (often almost still steaming) straight
onto garden beds and it results in a huge worm population explosion.

The range of vermicides used in horses is huge but the ones most commonly
used round here (rural Aus.) are probably those that contain avermectin.
The following cites all say that toxicity to earthworms really isn't a
problem.
http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/1...ubmed_RVDocSum

http://lib.bioinfo.pl/pmid:8346641

http://lib.bioinfo.pl/pmid:8346641