Old 06-11-2008, 08:10 AM posted to rec.gardens,rec.gardens.edible

Default How raised is raised

"SteveB" toquerville@zionvistas wrote in message
"Sheldon" wrote in message
"Dioclese" wrote:

Another case of geographical location specific advice. ?Quite common
here.
All must read with a grain or more of salt to judge if such advice is
appropriate for themselves.

Don't you know how to construct a sentence properly, what's with all
that broken English gibberish? You express yourself with baby talk,
may as well type goo goo gaa gaa. Dioclese, you should be ashamed of
yourself demonstrating so poor a level of communitating skills in a
public arena, ridiculous sentence fragments make you look the
buffoon. If you are going continue participating with Newsgroups you
will definitely benefit from a remedial writing course.

Hmmmm. Great 'communitating' skills Sheldon.

Funny. I understood him perfectly.

Now I'm confused.

'Him' meaning Sheldon or 'him' being Dioclese?

And are you addressing Sheldon or Farm1?

Does that make me as stupid as you
think he is?

Everyone thinks Sheldon is slightly doolal. Dunno about Dioclese, but given
s/he is posting on usent then s/he has got to be suspect too.

Hmmmm. Lemmee see .......... yep, this is a gardening group, and not
alt.properEnglish ......

Yebbut my petunias use more proper English than many
posters....................

Old 06-11-2008, 01:04 PM posted to rec.gardens,rec.gardens.edible

One material I haven't seen recommended is stabilized rammed earth -
not for the OP, but they could presumably hire out the labor. You'd
build a simple, low open box (just 4 walls). The advantage you get
here is the mass will help warm the bed earlier in spring, stabilize
temps in the fall.

Stabilized earth is a clay mix with 5-10 percent cement added to it,
compressed using simple form works (in Africa, two boards are held
together with rope). Pound a "lift" of material 6-8 inches until it
rings, repeat until desired height is reached.

Cement is bad, but you are not using a lot of it, and it makes it
possible to create the raised beds out of normal construction site
waste (subsoil). Nothing else needed, will stand up to rain/snow. If
you live in a freezing clime, you will need a base of gravel to
prevent frost heave.

This is a LOT more work than the other suggestions, but I was struck
watching a DVD of monks who tended a garden. Their garden had some
low, 1-wall beds that warmed early in the season, and they were able
to shovel snow off the beds for planting early crops. Really
remarkable simplicity.

Offered in the name of the radish spirit!
Old 06-11-2008, 03:23 PM posted to rec.gardens,rec.gardens.edible

In article
,
gonzo wrote:

[...]

Taken as a grain of sand.

Below longish.

http://www.artofeurope.com/blake/bla3.htm

Bill feeling Blake like.

--
Garden in shade zone 5 S Jersey USA

Old 06-11-2008, 03:26 PM posted to rec.gardens,rec.gardens.edible

"Sheldon" wrote in message

Am sorry to hear of your low comprehension level regarding sentences not
constructed to your specifications. Perhaps, if you were genuinely
interested in the attempt at communication (purpose), someone else with
better sentence construction could pipe in with such a translation. But,
its doubtful from where I sit that you are truly interested in that...

I did succeed in the communication as per your subsequent weak reply to the
essence (commnication substance). That was buried at the bottom of your
previous reply. "I happen to know Omelet's location and climate but it's up
to her to post any particulars." Again, read my previous reply. If you
don't understand it, maybe someone can translate.

Pointing out grammatical and spelling errors is quite common when the
replier was placed in a position that he/she may be incorrect, and may want
to respond in a hateful manner as a result.. So, guess I'll overlook the
majority of your response. Have a nice day.
--
Dave

If it looks like fish, smells like fish, its not
a cantaloupe.

Old 07-11-2008, 07:07 PM posted to rec.gardens,rec.gardens.edible

g;day steve,

our plan is to use corrugated to raise our beds even more as we get
older, probably initially we will get the lengths cut into 1/2 width,
and use 6' galvanised star pickets as supports these pickets then can
be used to support tomato's or trellises for beans etc.,.

for us those ready made frames mentioned in a link in another post are
too expensive.

On Wed, 5 Nov 2008 19:11:27 -0800, "SteveB" toquerville@zionvistas
wrote:
snipped
With peace and brightest of blessings,

len & bev

--
"Be Content With What You Have And
A World That You May Not Understand."

http://www.lensgarden.com.au/

Old 08-11-2008, 12:44 AM posted to rec.gardens,rec.gardens.edible

len gardener wrote:

our plan is to use corrugated to raise our beds
even more as we get older.

You can do that because you live in a semi tropical climate. But
thin sheet metal cannot endure the heaving of freezing earth.
Old 08-11-2008, 01:56 AM posted to rec.gardens,rec.gardens.edible

"len gardener" wrote in message
g;day steve,

our plan is to use corrugated to raise our beds even more as we get
older, probably initially we will get the lengths cut into 1/2 width,
and use 6' galvanised star pickets as supports these pickets then can
be used to support tomato's or trellises for beans etc.,.

for us those ready made frames mentioned in a link in another post are
too expensive.

After unloading the sheets for my shade cover, I have decided that it will
do just fine to get about 3' (1 meter in your town) lengths, and then bury
them about a foot with dirt tamped around the bottom. 2 x 4 (sorry, don't
know the metric for that) tops to protect from the sharp edges, and some
brackets to hold the wood together. Easy, cheap, and fast. If they rust
out, I'll just do them again, or maybe even do a double layer to start.

Steve

Old 08-11-2008, 06:25 PM posted to rec.gardens,rec.gardens.edible

steve,

for the top edge so no body gets cut you could rune some cheap 1/2" or
3/4" garden hose around and tied with cable ties the hose needs to be
cut along the length so it will fit over the edge of the metal.

Old 09-11-2008, 02:41 AM posted to rec.gardens,rec.gardens.edible

In article ,
"SteveB" toquerville@zionvistas wrote:

"len gardener" wrote in message
steve,

for the top edge so no body gets cut you could rune some cheap 1/2" or
3/4" garden hose around and tied with cable ties the hose needs to be
cut along the length so it will fit over the edge of the metal.

I have worse luck with splitting hose than anything else. And I take
Coumadin, so I avoid sharp things when I can.

Steve

Have someone do it for you.
You can also get cable covers from radio shack that are essentially the
same thing. I had to put them over electrical cords in my house to keep
the cockatoo from chewing them, until I built her her aviary. ;-)
--
Peace! Om

"Love and compassion are necessities, not luxuries. Without them humanity cannot survive." -- Dalai Lama

Old 09-11-2008, 01:39 PM posted to rec.gardens,rec.gardens.edible

Everyone needs this "multi purpose" shear anyway: http://tinyurl.com/6d83do

http://www.cooperhandtools.com/brand...20%20%20%20%20

Old 13-11-2008, 01:19 PM posted to rec.gardens,rec.gardens.edible

On Thu, 6 Nov 2008 19:10:11 +1100, "FarmI" ask@itshall be given
wrote:

Everyone thinks Sheldon is slightly doolal. Dunno about Dioclese, but given
s/he is posting on usent then s/he has got to be suspect too.

Hmm...Google was no help with "doolal".

All I could find was "doolally" which seems to fit the context.

http://encarta.msn.com/encnet/featur...earch=doolally

Definition: U.K. an offensive term meaning irrational ( informal )

Is that definition close?

Old 14-11-2008, 09:19 AM posted to rec.gardens,rec.gardens.edible

Hi All,
wrote:

Everyone thinks Sheldon is slightly doolal. Dunno about Dioclese, but
given
s/he is posting on usent then s/he has got to be suspect too.

Hmm...Google was no help with "doolal".

All I could find was "doolally" which seems to fit the context.

http://encarta.msn.com/encnet/featur...earch=doolally

Definition: U.K. an offensive term meaning irrational ( informal )

Is that definition close?

From what I can gather from people who were in the British army. There is a
place called Dolally, if you were sent to this camp nothing happened and you
ended up going mad with sheer boredom. that is were th phrase came from.
hope this helps you.

Richard M. Watkin.

Old 27-11-2008, 07:30 PM posted to rec.gardens,rec.gardens.edible

I made 4 raised beds 4x10 by 1ft hi nade then close enough I am able to sit
on one and work on the other
"SteveB" toquerville@zionvistas wrote in message
news
We are ready to till up our garden, and want to raise it in beds or
platforms so us old people don't have to bend over so much. Is it
practical to raise them to desk level, or is just a foot or two
sufficient? I would think that whatever you made the raised bed from
would rot from water and gook within a few years. And then, if you use
cinderblock or cement, you're talking high cost and a lot of skilled
labor.

Help appreciated.

Steve

--
-Never underestimate the power of stupid people in large numbers.-

Old 02-12-2008, 03:44 PM posted to rec.gardens,rec.gardens.edible

On Nov 3, 10:13*pm, "Val" wrote:
You, David E. Ross, are without a doubt one of the most arrogantly ignorant
twits ever encountered in this group!! No, I take that back........you are
just a dumb ****!! Val

Having just arrived in this news group, although I follow several
others on a regular basis; it is interesting to observe that many of
them have their resident nitwit, idiot or ill mannered lout or louts.
The above posting here, by someone called 'Val', seems to confirm the
fact?

The use of language that calls a person a 'twit' or arrogant seems ill
mannered and not supported by any facts?

I found the posting by David Ross somewhat factual towards answering
the OPs question; also providing some other personal info/experience
that was pertinent.

Ah well. Guess the poor (in this case poorly motivated?) are, as it is
said "Always with us".

After a long wet and not too warm but sometimes humid so called summer
here, we are now having a wet and warm fall. No leaves on the trees,
they've all blown away! In passing blueberries and other wild berries
did not seem as plentiful this year.

Cheers.