Old 02-12-2008, 11:32 PM
Registered User

Question help growing my chives

Ok i just recently put my chives under a 25 watt CFL, in a box with the light hanging over the plant about 4 inches away. right now the chives are very small, only about 4 inches high (with a few strands that are a bit longer, but they kind of sway to the sides. I'm using a timer with it set for on 10 hours, then off 14. I'm watering it with nutrient water and it is in some good soil.

So does anyone know of anything I should do to make it work better or is there anything drastically wrong with my plan like the light times. I'm starting off with one teeny little plant that was the last one from the garden store, got it for like 10 cents cause it was in so bad condition. But after having it sitting in the window a few days i figured it was ready to but put under my light.
Old 03-12-2008, 06:19 PM
Registered User

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrowPro View Post
Ok i just recently put my chives under a 25 watt CFL, in a box with the light hanging over the plant about 4 inches away. right now the chives are very small, only about 4 inches high (with a few strands that are a bit longer, but they kind of sway to the sides. I'm using a timer with it set for on 10 hours, then off 14. I'm watering it with nutrient water and it is in some good soil.

So does anyone know of anything I should do to make it work better or is there anything drastically wrong with my plan like the light times. I'm starting off with one teeny little plant that was the last one from the garden store, got it for like 10 cents cause it was in so bad condition. But after having it sitting in the window a few days i figured it was ready to but put under my light.
I'm not sure why you're trying to grow chives at this time of year. Mine are outside in clumps and die back in the winter, before reappearing in Spring. If you are determined to grow them inside, I would have thought a sunny window sill was all you need. You sound to be going to an awful lot of trouble and expense for something that really isn't worth it.
Old 03-12-2008, 07:24 PM
Registered User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Janet Conroy View Post
I'm not sure why you're trying to grow chives at this time of year. Mine are outside in clumps and die back in the winter, before reappearing in Spring. If you are determined to grow them inside, I would have thought a sunny window sill was all you need. You sound to be going to an awful lot of trouble and expense for something that really isn't worth it.

this is just an experiment before me and my dad create a full-blown herb garden in my room, but we don't have all the lights/setup yet so im just messing around with this one, but it seems to be growing decently.
Old 03-12-2008, 09:16 PM
Registered User

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrowPro View Post
this is just an experiment before me and my dad create a full-blown herb garden in my room, but we don't have all the lights/setup yet so im just messing around with this one, but it seems to be growing decently.
BUT, BUT, BUT, what about your carbon footprint? You are wasting loads of electricity (and increasing your dad's bills) on something that has very little value or culinary use. If you want to grow herbs over the winter, then go for some that are actually useful, like basil, mint and oregano, all of which will survive on a window sill. Outside, plant rosemary, bay, thyme and sage, all of which will survive cold winters as long as they have free-draining soil. I can't imagine why you would want a herb garden in your room - they are so much happier and healthier when grown outside.
Old 04-12-2008, 04:34 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible

Default help growing my chives

On Wed, 03 Dec 2008 19:24:14 +0000, GrowPro wrote:

Janet Conroy;824319 Wrote:
I'm not sure why you're trying to grow chives at this time of year.
Mine are outside in clumps and die back in the winter, before
reappearing in Spring. If you are determined to grow them inside, I
would have thought a sunny window sill was all you need. You sound to
be going to an awful lot of trouble and expense for something that
really isn't worth it.

this is just an experiment before me and my dad create a full-blown herb
garden in my room, but we don't have all the lights/setup yet so im just
messing around with this one, but it seems to be growing decently.

You dad is helping you build an indoor "herb" grow room. That is so
cool. My dad would pull my plants.

stonerfish

Old 04-12-2008, 01:28 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible

Janet Conroy;824319 Wrote:
I'm not sure why you're trying to grow chives at this time of year.
Mine are outside in clumps and die back in the winter, before
reappearing in Spring. *If you are determined to grow them inside, I
would have thought a sunny window sill was all you need. *You sound to
be going to an awful lot of trouble and expense for something that
really isn't worth it.

this is just an experiment before me and my dad create a full-blown herb
garden in my room, but we don't have all the lights/setup yet so im just
messing around with this one, but it seems to be growing decently.

You dad is helping you build an indoor "herb" grow room. *That is so
cool. *My dad would pull my plants.

stonerfish

They have grow lights. They are full spectrum and more like real
sunlight.
Old 05-12-2008, 04:35 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible

--
GrowPro

Think maybe you're lost - Maybe you need alt.drugs.pot.cultivation.
And a fan on the 'herb'plants!!

The 10 Worst Chives of 2002 harvest dancer sci.agriculture 1 26-04-2003 12:30 PM
garlic chives shazzbat United Kingdom 8 09-03-2003 10:11 PM
garlic chives - an excellent slug trap Mike Gilmore United Kingdom 0 08-03-2003 07:45 AM
tomato, chives, basil, parsley varieties Joel Edible Gardening 3 04-03-2003 10:27 PM
tomato, chives, basil, parsley varieties Joel Edible Gardening 0 24-02-2003 10:03 PM