Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
  #1   Report Post  
Old 07-05-2009, 04:26 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible
external usenet poster
 
First recorded activity by GardenBanter: May 2009
Posts: 44
Default arugula germination

I'm a beginning vegetable gardener in Atlanta.

From seed, I've planted, snow peas, cantaloupe, honeydew, cucumbers,
carrots and arugula several weeks ago.

It's all up and growing except the arugula. I planted this very
shallow (less than a quarter inch) and have lightly watered the soil
every day.

I'm thinking that I need to restart the arugula crop. What should I
do this time?

Jeff

  #2   Report Post  
Old 07-05-2009, 12:26 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible
external usenet poster
 
First recorded activity by GardenBanter: Oct 2008
Posts: 509
Default arugula germination

Jeff said:


I'm a beginning vegetable gardener in Atlanta.

From seed, I've planted, snow peas, cantaloupe, honeydew, cucumbers,
carrots and arugula several weeks ago.

It's all up and growing except the arugula. I planted this very
shallow (less than a quarter inch) and have lightly watered the soil
every day.

I'm thinking that I need to restart the arugula crop. What should I
do this time?


Get fresh seed, I guess. Try germinating some of what you have left
in a sterile potting mix. If anything comes up, you can transplant it
out into the garden. But if your carrots came up ok and your arugula
didn't, it seems to me that there is likely something wrong with the
arugula seed.

I'm concerned about your mix of plants. If it's warm enough for melons
and cucumbers, you're well past your ideal date for planting snow peas
and arugula.

--
Pat in Plymouth MI

"So, it was all a dream."
"No dear, this is the dream, you're still in the cell."

email valid but not regularly monitored


  #3   Report Post  
Old 07-05-2009, 01:18 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible
external usenet poster
 
First recorded activity by GardenBanter: May 2009
Posts: 44
Default arugula germination

Pat Kiewicz wrote:
Jeff said:

I'm a beginning vegetable gardener in Atlanta.

From seed, I've planted, snow peas, cantaloupe, honeydew, cucumbers,
carrots and arugula several weeks ago.

It's all up and growing except the arugula. I planted this very
shallow (less than a quarter inch) and have lightly watered the soil
every day.

I'm thinking that I need to restart the arugula crop. What should I
do this time?


Get fresh seed, I guess.


I think the seed was fresh and I believe Ferry Morse.

Try germinating some of what you have left
in a sterile potting mix. If anything comes up, you can transplant it
out into the garden. But if your carrots came up ok and your arugula
didn't, it seems to me that there is likely something wrong with the
arugula seed.

I'm concerned about your mix of plants. If it's warm enough for melons
and cucumbers, you're well past your ideal date for planting snow peas
and arugula.


I see this bit about warm weather and cool weather plants, but it
looked to me that they should all needed to be planted in early April. I
suppose I should have put these in a starter tray earlier. The melons
took a while to come up, as did the cukes, the snow peas took off. Next
year I'll adjust as you suggested.

What green do you think I should put in place of the Arugula?

Jeff

  #4   Report Post  
Old 07-05-2009, 06:02 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible
external usenet poster
 
First recorded activity by GardenBanter: Dec 2008
Posts: 1,179
Default arugula germination

In article ,
Jeff wrote:

Pat Kiewicz wrote:
Jeff said:

I'm a beginning vegetable gardener in Atlanta.

From seed, I've planted, snow peas, cantaloupe, honeydew, cucumbers,
carrots and arugula several weeks ago.

It's all up and growing except the arugula. I planted this very
shallow (less than a quarter inch) and have lightly watered the soil
every day.

I'm thinking that I need to restart the arugula crop. What should I
do this time?


Get fresh seed, I guess.


I think the seed was fresh and I believe Ferry Morse.

Try germinating some of what you have left
in a sterile potting mix. If anything comes up, you can transplant it
out into the garden. But if your carrots came up ok and your arugula
didn't, it seems to me that there is likely something wrong with the
arugula seed.

I'm concerned about your mix of plants. If it's warm enough for melons
and cucumbers, you're well past your ideal date for planting snow peas
and arugula.


I see this bit about warm weather and cool weather plants, but it
looked to me that they should all needed to be planted in early April. I
suppose I should have put these in a starter tray earlier. The melons
took a while to come up, as did the cukes, the snow peas took off. Next
year I'll adjust as you suggested.

What green do you think I should put in place of the Arugula?

Jeff


Do you like arugula? "Of colors and taste" and all that but I find the
stuff vile, and it used to volunteer in the garden until I was able to
eradicate it. Personally, I'd tell you to thank your lucky stars.
--

- Billy
"For the first time in the history of the world, every human being
is now subjected to contact with dangerous chemicals, from the
moment of conception until death." - Rachel Carson

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WI29wVQN8Go

http://www.haaretz.com/hasen/spages/1072040.html
  #5   Report Post  
Old 07-05-2009, 07:51 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible
external usenet poster
 
First recorded activity by GardenBanter: Dec 2008
Posts: 182
Default arugula germination

On Thu, 07 May 2009 09:02:37 -0700, Billy
wrote:

In article ,
Jeff wrote:

Pat Kiewicz wrote:
Jeff said:

I'm a beginning vegetable gardener in Atlanta.

From seed, I've planted, snow peas, cantaloupe, honeydew, cucumbers,
carrots and arugula several weeks ago.

It's all up and growing except the arugula. I planted this very
shallow (less than a quarter inch) and have lightly watered the soil
every day.

I'm thinking that I need to restart the arugula crop. What should I
do this time?

Get fresh seed, I guess.


I think the seed was fresh and I believe Ferry Morse.

Try germinating some of what you have left
in a sterile potting mix. If anything comes up, you can transplant it
out into the garden. But if your carrots came up ok and your arugula
didn't, it seems to me that there is likely something wrong with the
arugula seed.

I'm concerned about your mix of plants. If it's warm enough for melons
and cucumbers, you're well past your ideal date for planting snow peas
and arugula.


I see this bit about warm weather and cool weather plants, but it
looked to me that they should all needed to be planted in early April. I
suppose I should have put these in a starter tray earlier. The melons
took a while to come up, as did the cukes, the snow peas took off. Next
year I'll adjust as you suggested.

What green do you think I should put in place of the Arugula?

Jeff


Do you like arugula? "Of colors and taste" and all that but I find the
stuff vile, and it used to volunteer in the garden until I was able to
eradicate it. Personally, I'd tell you to thank your lucky stars.


Love arugala, especially the spicy. It reminds me of sunflower seeds.

I'd plant green beans instead, which reminds me I need to buy seed
today. Okra and corn like it hot and both are fun to have, just for
the plants themselves.

Kate - oh for enough room for a dozen rows of corn!


  #6   Report Post  
Old 08-05-2009, 12:42 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible
external usenet poster
 
First recorded activity by GardenBanter: Aug 2006
Posts: 417
Default arugula germination


"Billy" wrote in message
...
In article ,
Jeff wrote:

Pat Kiewicz wrote:
Jeff said:

I'm a beginning vegetable gardener in Atlanta.

From seed, I've planted, snow peas, cantaloupe, honeydew, cucumbers,
carrots and arugula several weeks ago.

It's all up and growing except the arugula. I planted this very
shallow (less than a quarter inch) and have lightly watered the soil
every day.

I'm thinking that I need to restart the arugula crop. What should I
do this time?

Get fresh seed, I guess.


I think the seed was fresh and I believe Ferry Morse.

Try germinating some of what you have left
in a sterile potting mix. If anything comes up, you can transplant it
out into the garden. But if your carrots came up ok and your arugula
didn't, it seems to me that there is likely something wrong with the
arugula seed.

I'm concerned about your mix of plants. If it's warm enough for melons
and cucumbers, you're well past your ideal date for planting snow peas
and arugula.


I see this bit about warm weather and cool weather plants, but it
looked to me that they should all needed to be planted in early April. I
suppose I should have put these in a starter tray earlier. The melons
took a while to come up, as did the cukes, the snow peas took off. Next
year I'll adjust as you suggested.

What green do you think I should put in place of the Arugula?

Jeff


Do you like arugula? "Of colors and taste" and all that but I find the
stuff vile, and it used to volunteer in the garden until I was able to
eradicate it. Personally, I'd tell you to thank your lucky stars.
--


Here, here

- Billy
"For the first time in the history of the world, every human being
is now subjected to contact with dangerous chemicals, from the
moment of conception until death." - Rachel Carson

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WI29wVQN8Go

http://www.haaretz.com/hasen/spages/1072040.html



  #7   Report Post  
Old 08-05-2009, 01:53 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible
external usenet poster
 
First recorded activity by GardenBanter: Sep 2008
Posts: 3,036
Default arugula germination

Billy wrote:

Do you like arugula? "Of colors and taste" and all that but I find
the stuff vile, and it used to volunteer in the garden until I was
able to eradicate it. Personally, I'd tell you to thank your lucky
stars.


This seems to be like coriander leaf. I would imagine there are other
pungent herbs the same. Some love it and some hate it. I like it; SWMBO
doesn't, we compromise.

David

  #8   Report Post  
Old 08-05-2009, 03:14 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible
external usenet poster
 
First recorded activity by GardenBanter: May 2009
Posts: 44
Default arugula germination

Billy wrote:
In article ,
Jeff wrote:

Pat Kiewicz wrote:
Jeff said:
I'm a beginning vegetable gardener in Atlanta.

From seed, I've planted, snow peas, cantaloupe, honeydew, cucumbers,
carrots and arugula several weeks ago.

It's all up and growing except the arugula. I planted this very
shallow (less than a quarter inch) and have lightly watered the soil
every day.

I'm thinking that I need to restart the arugula crop. What should I
do this time?
Get fresh seed, I guess.

I think the seed was fresh and I believe Ferry Morse.

Try germinating some of what you have left
in a sterile potting mix. If anything comes up, you can transplant it
out into the garden. But if your carrots came up ok and your arugula
didn't, it seems to me that there is likely something wrong with the
arugula seed.

I'm concerned about your mix of plants. If it's warm enough for melons
and cucumbers, you're well past your ideal date for planting snow peas
and arugula.

I see this bit about warm weather and cool weather plants, but it
looked to me that they should all needed to be planted in early April. I
suppose I should have put these in a starter tray earlier. The melons
took a while to come up, as did the cukes, the snow peas took off. Next
year I'll adjust as you suggested.

What green do you think I should put in place of the Arugula?

Jeff


Do you like arugula?



Damn if I know! Being of a competitive nature, if Obama was growing
Arugula, I was going to grow it. I'm not really sure what it tastes like.

I think it may be too late for spinach. The part of the garden I want
to replant gets some mid day shade.

Jeff

"Of colors and taste" and all that but I find the
stuff vile, and it used to volunteer in the garden until I was able to
eradicate it. Personally, I'd tell you to thank your lucky stars.

  #9   Report Post  
Old 08-05-2009, 03:57 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible
external usenet poster
 
First recorded activity by GardenBanter: Dec 2008
Posts: 1,179
Default arugula germination

In article ,
"David Hare-Scott" wrote:

Billy wrote:

Do you like arugula? "Of colors and taste" and all that but I find
the stuff vile, and it used to volunteer in the garden until I was
able to eradicate it. Personally, I'd tell you to thank your lucky
stars.


This seems to be like coriander leaf. I would imagine there are other
pungent herbs the same. Some love it and some hate it. I like it; SWMBO
doesn't, we compromise.

David


I don't recognize that as arugula. Coriander is more like parsley, or
chervil. Try
http://www.google.com/imgres?imgurl=...log/verbal_rem
edy/2008/08/21/files/arugula1219364897.jpg&imgrefurl=http://open.salon.co
m/blog/verbal_remedy/2008/08/21/lifes_little_indulgences&h=326&w=305&sz=3
9&tbnid=64KDvYEF29Iz6M::&tbnh=118&tbnw=110&prev=/images%3Fq%3Darugula,%2B
picture&usg=__NClVDqZZslj1GG5ZosF6A3aP5X8=&ei=_5AD SufZNYL8swOzx6HKAQ&sa=X
&oi=image_result&resnum=4&ct=image
--

- Billy
"For the first time in the history of the world, every human being
is now subjected to contact with dangerous chemicals, from the
moment of conception until death." - Rachel Carson

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WI29wVQN8Go

http://www.haaretz.com/hasen/spages/1072040.html
  #10   Report Post  
Old 08-05-2009, 09:14 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible
external usenet poster
 
First recorded activity by GardenBanter: Nov 2006
Posts: 20
Default arugula germination



David


I don't recognize that as arugula. Coriander is more like parsley, or
chervil. Tryhttp://www.google.com/imgres?imgurl=http://open.salon.com/blog/verbal...



- Billy


Arugula = rocket.

Gilly


  #11   Report Post  
Old 08-05-2009, 11:01 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible
external usenet poster
 
First recorded activity by GardenBanter: Sep 2008
Posts: 3,036
Default arugula germination

Billy wrote:
In article ,
"David Hare-Scott" wrote:

Billy wrote:

Do you like arugula? "Of colors and taste" and all that but I find
the stuff vile, and it used to volunteer in the garden until I was
able to eradicate it. Personally, I'd tell you to thank your lucky
stars.


This seems to be like coriander leaf. I would imagine there are
other pungent herbs the same. Some love it and some hate it. I
like it; SWMBO doesn't, we compromise.

David


I don't recognize that as arugula. Coriander is more like parsley, or
chervil. Try
http://www.google.com/imgres?imgurl=...log/verbal_rem
edy/2008/08/21/files/arugula1219364897.jpg&imgrefurl=http://open.salon.co
m/blog/verbal_remedy/2008/08/21/lifes_little_indulgences&h=326&w=305&sz=3
9&tbnid=64KDvYEF29Iz6M::&tbnh=118&tbnw=110&prev=/images%3Fq%3Darugula,%2B
picture&usg=__NClVDqZZslj1GG5ZosF6A3aP5X8=&ei=_5AD SufZNYL8swOzx6HKAQ&sa=X
&oi=image_result&resnum=4&ct=image


I meant it is like coriander in the divided preference not the particular
flavour.

David


  #12   Report Post  
Old 08-05-2009, 11:37 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible
external usenet poster
 
First recorded activity by GardenBanter: Oct 2008
Posts: 509
Default arugula germination

Jeff said:

I see this bit about warm weather and cool weather plants, but it
looked to me that they should all needed to be planted in early April. I
suppose I should have put these in a starter tray earlier. The melons
took a while to come up, as did the cukes, the snow peas took off. Next
year I'll adjust as you suggested.

What green do you think I should put in place of the Arugula?


Summer greens

....hmmm...
Some spinach-y stuff, like vegetable amaranth, New Zealand spinach,
and Malabar spinach--this is a vine.

Another unusual summer green is red orach.

And there's a type of mallow that's grown for its leaves. I planted this
once and let it go to seed. Pops up in the garden by itself, now.

Purslane, the weed, also available in a larger, more upright, and prettier
cultivar.


--
Pat in Plymouth MI

"So, it was all a dream."
"No dear, this is the dream, you're still in the cell."

email valid but not regularly monitored




Reply
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules

Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
arugula James Edible Gardening 4 11-06-2007 08:42 PM
Novice - Growing Arugula Big G Edible Gardening 1 14-09-2003 10:02 PM
hardy geraniums - id and germination Victoria Clare United Kingdom 9 28-03-2003 08:44 PM
Why some seeds need low temp store to aid germination Jo Edible Gardening 0 25-01-2003 01:09 AM
Grass seed germination Guy Goldich Lawns 1 11-01-2003 10:37 PM


All times are GMT +1. The time now is 08:10 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Copyright ©2000 - 2021, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright 2004-2021 GardenBanter.co.uk.
The comments are property of their posters.
 

About Us

"It's about Gardening"

 

Copyright © 2017