Old 17-08-2009, 05:08 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible

Default micro irrigation

jeff wrote:

I'm thinking about micro irrigation (drip irrigation) for my micro
garden. I've noticed that leaving the garden alone for a few days during
the dog days of summer is not beneficial.

Any pointers om either equipment or technique?

Thanks to all. I bought a rain drip Landscape Kit. I didn't see the
Vegetable Kit which has 1/2 gallon (inline) drippers instead of 1 gallon
PC end type and more 1/4" tubing and no 1/2".

Since my garden is compact (runs of 6' to 10' max) I'm thinking the
1/4" line will be easier to manipulate. Should I be thinking 1/4" for
everything using Ts on the 1/4" line instead of piercing the 1/2"?

What's the 10 gallon pressure compensating flow control for? I have
more than 10 1 gallon pressure compensating drippers in the kit.

Is there any info on how much typical vegetables actually need? It is
hard for me to tell when tomatoes, carrots and the blueberries need
water. The cucurbits (particularly the cukes) seem like they always do.

How do I water carrot rows? I didn't see 1/4" soaker hose. Mister, or
just keep hand watering? Or the 1/2 gallon inline every 6"?

Since I have different vegetables I wonder if I should put valves
inline for the different sections and set this up for the water
frequency of those neediest (cukes at the moment) and shut off the water
to the sections that don't need more. That seems easier than changing
the flow rate. The adjustables seem to be 1 to 10 gallon/hour. So
keeping everything in my clayish to normal soil at 1 gph and having
several sequential watering periods and turning off the sections that
don't need more water in the later sequences...

The "bad" news is that I won't be able to put in my irrigation system
because it is raining all week!

Jeff

Jeff

Old 20-08-2009, 07:43 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible

"jeff" wrote in message

Since my garden is compact (runs of 6' to 10' max) I'm thinking the 1/4"
line will be easier to manipulate. Should I be thinking 1/4" for
everything using Ts on the 1/4" line instead of piercing the 1/2"?

You should have at least one main 1/2" line. Having all of the water flow
through 1/4" tubes might cause backup at some point, whereas allowing
several small lines to come out of the big line will keep things flowing
smoothly. I like a single big line just for running along the edge of the
bed, with the little tubes doing all of the creative work among the plants.

What's the 10 gallon pressure compensating flow control for? I have more
than 10 1 gallon pressure compensating drippers in the kit.

I have never used the flow control. I just adjust my flow manually.

How do I water carrot rows? I didn't see 1/4" soaker hose. Mister, or
just keep hand watering? Or the 1/2 gallon inline every 6"?

I hand-watered mine. (I didn't have rows, I broadcast them so they filled
the bed.) Using a mister works well too, but you shouldn't have misters on
the same circuit as drippers. (Use a splitter at the water source.) There
are also 1/4" tubes that have holes every 6 inches, but I have found they
tend to clog, so you'd have to be ready to go out there with a needle every
few weeks. You could also use a needle to put holes in regular 1/4"
tube--that would allow the water to come at intervals closer than 6" if you
wanted.

Since I have different vegetables I wonder if I should put valves inline
for the different sections and set this up for the water frequency of
those neediest (cukes at the moment) and shut off the water to the
sections that don't need more.

That would work. What I do is simply use more drippers on the water-loving
plants, and make them for 1 or 2 GPH instead of 1/2 GPH. This allows more
water to reach each water-loving plant from a single circuit. You can just
turn the flow on and leave for an hour, and all the plants will get their
proper amount of water at the same time.
--S.

Old 20-08-2009, 06:06 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible

"jeff" wrote in message
jeff wrote:

[...]

One thing you need to be aware of is the carrying capacity of your supply
lines. 1/2 inch tubing can only supply a maximum of 220 gallons per hour. I
don't know how much 1/4 inch can carry, but it is significantly less. This
may not be an issue for you, but it most certainly is for larger gardens.

Steve

Old 21-08-2009, 01:13 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible

In article ,
"Suzanne D." wrote:

"jeff" wrote in message

[...]

When I got my 1/4" line with emitters, I was told that emitters wouldn't
supply their rated volume after 20 ft. and that was for 1/2 gal/hr.
emitters. Seems likes it would be a shorter with large emitters. You
would still get water, just not at the volume rated for the emitter.
I think you should keep your 1/2 tubing as the back bone of your drip
system, if for no other reason, t be able to know how much water a plant
is getting.

--
³When you give food to the poor, they call you a saint. When you ask why the poor have no food, they call you a communist.²
-Archbishop Helder Camara

http://tinyurl.com/o63ruj
http://countercurrents.org/roberts020709.htm
Old 21-08-2009, 03:04 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible

Suzanne D. wrote:

Hello,

"jeff" wrote in message

Since my garden is compact (runs of 6' to 10' max) I'm thinking the
1/4" line will be easier to manipulate. Should I be thinking 1/4" for
everything using Ts on the 1/4" line instead of piercing the 1/2"?

You should have at least one main 1/2" line. Having all of the water
flow through 1/4" tubes might cause backup at some point, whereas
allowing several small lines to come out of the big line will keep
things flowing smoothly. I like a single big line just for running
along the edge of the bed, with the little tubes doing all of the
creative work among the plants.

OK, I've laid out the backbone 1/2" line to run along the edges of
the garden. I think what I'll do is run taps with valves for each
section. Each section will have about 4 or 5 emitters and a max length
of 10'.

I suppose since the backbone runs along the garden path also, I'll tap
off for a few other plants, the roses have taken a beating...

I have a hard time believing that those 1/4" taps on the 1/2" line
don't leak. Everything I've ever done with plumbing leaked! That's why
I'm trying to minimize the taps.

What's the 10 gallon pressure compensating flow control for? I have
more than 10 1 gallon pressure compensating drippers in the kit.

I have never used the flow control. I just adjust my flow manually.

How do I water carrot rows? I didn't see 1/4" soaker hose. Mister,
or just keep hand watering? Or the 1/2 gallon inline every 6"?

I hand-watered mine. (I didn't have rows, I broadcast them so they
filled the bed.) Using a mister works well too, but you shouldn't have
misters on the same circuit as drippers. (Use a splitter at the water
source.) There are also 1/4" tubes that have holes every 6 inches, but
I have found they tend to clog, so you'd have to be ready to go out
there with a needle every few weeks. You could also use a needle to put
holes in regular 1/4" tube--that would allow the water to come at
intervals closer than 6" if you wanted.

OK, I'll do the hand watering here. I pulled a carrot from the edge of
the garden a while back. Although it was almost an 1" in diameter, it
wasn't much longer!

Since I have different vegetables I wonder if I should put valves
inline for the different sections and set this up for the water
frequency of those neediest (cukes at the moment) and shut off the
water to the sections that don't need more.

That would work. What I do is simply use more drippers on the
water-loving plants, and make them for 1 or 2 GPH instead of 1/2 GPH.
This allows more water to reach each water-loving plant from a single
circuit. You can just turn the flow on and leave for an hour, and all
the plants will get their proper amount of water at the same time.

Will do.

I've got a pressure regulator and more tees coming from Drip Depot.

I've shopped at 4 different Home Depots and a Lowes looking at drip
supplies. Amazingly none of them had the same parts. It's almost like
one shipment got divided between 5 stores! I did find some 1/4" vinyl
line made by Mister Landscaper that looks like great stuff.

Raining again...

Jeff

--S.

Old 21-08-2009, 05:08 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible

"jeff" wrote in message

I suppose since the backbone runs along the garden path also, I'll tap off
for a few other plants, the roses have taken a beating...

Might as well. It's just a couple of extra lines and drippers. You may
find that you start to go a little crazy once you get into it. More lines!
More emitters! What else can I water??

I have a hard time believing that those 1/4" taps on the 1/2" line don't
leak. Everything I've ever done with plumbing leaked! That's why I'm
trying to minimize the taps.

By "taps" are you talking about the holes and the connectors that go in
them? I've had a few leaks among my 50 or so holes, but for the most part
they stay pretty tight. They might deteriorate after a few years; I haven't
had them long enough to know.

OK, I'll do the hand watering here. I pulled a carrot from the edge of the
garden a while back. Although it was almost an 1" in diameter, it wasn't
much longer!

If you have clayey soil, that'll be pretty common. I always try to grow
long ones, and they just look stupid. It's best to plant the shorter
varieties--that way all the energy can go into filling them out rather than
making them long. Next year mix a little sand in with the carrot soil--that
might loosen it up a bit.

I've shopped at 4 different Home Depots and a Lowes looking at drip
supplies. Amazingly none of them had the same parts. It's almost like one
shipment got divided between 5 stores!

I've noticed that too! Seems like I have to go to two different stores to
get the full range of what I need. Weird.
--S.

Old 23-08-2009, 03:47 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible

Suzanne D. wrote:

"jeff" wrote in message

I suppose since the backbone runs along the garden path also, I'll tap
off for a few other plants, the roses have taken a beating...

Might as well. It's just a couple of extra lines and drippers. You may
find that you start to go a little crazy once you get into it. More
lines! More emitters! What else can I water??

OK. I've got it "wired"! The one thing I've noticed is that I seriously
underestimated how much 1/4" line I would need! I've used it up 80'
watering 16 plants with a max of 4 plants per line (with a 60' 1/2"
backbone). No line left for the roses.

Drip Depot from Oregon to Atlanta priority mail took 2 days, I'm impressed!

I'd like to get a timer as I'm often away for a few days. I notice that
they have water cycles from about a week to every hour. Who waters every
hour? Or even every 8 hours?

My thinking is that I should be watering every day or two depending
on how hot. Perhaps with the deeper drip irrigation I can lengthen that.
The cukes are the problem child seeming to need water in the heat of the
day.

With the drippers under the mulch does it matter as much when to
water or should I aim to water after sunrise but before it heats up?

How close to the base of the plant should I put the drippers? An inch
or two?

Jeff
Old 23-08-2009, 08:08 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible

"jeff" wrote in message

I'd like to get a timer as I'm often away for a few days. I notice that
they have water cycles from about a week to every hour. Who waters every
hour? Or even every 8 hours?

If someone is trying to get seeds to germinate and live in a very dry area,
they might want to mist every hour or two to keep the soil damp.
--S.

Micro irrigation Yuri United Kingdom 6 18-01-2016 09:20 AM
Gardena "Micro Drip" irrigation system Martin Pentreath United Kingdom 5 15-02-2008 09:01 PM
micro-irrigation systems Taz United Kingdom 7 03-07-2007 05:38 PM
Micro Tennelus Ghazanfar Ghori Freshwater Aquaria Plants 0 20-04-2003 06:11 AM
micro-cells H United Kingdom 6 03-02-2003 11:16 PM