Old 11-10-2009, 09:37 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible,rec.gardens.organic

Default Garlic harvest finished!

The garlic has been hanging in the shed curing for a while, but I finally
got to trimming, weighing, etc. 76 pounds of assorted varieties, so I
should be all set for the winter at least.
For the truly obsessed, there's a spreadsheet on my personal page in the
..sig at the end of this.
And none too soon; I need to crack some bulbs apart and start planting
before the snow flies.

Cheers....

Old 12-10-2009, 02:35 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible,rec.gardens.organic

"Gary Woods" wrote in message
The garlic has been hanging in the shed curing for a while, but I finally
got to trimming, weighing, etc. 76 pounds of assorted varieties, so I
should be all set for the winter at least.
For the truly obsessed, there's a spreadsheet on my personal page in the
.sig at the end of this.
And none too soon; I need to crack some bulbs apart and start planting
before the snow flies.

Cheers....

Planted 15 varieties today. I hope it wasnt to early.

Old 12-10-2009, 03:03 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible,rec.gardens.organic

"Aluckyguess" wrote:

Planted 15 varieties today. I hope it wasnt to early.

Where are you located? The rule of thumb I've heard is to plant 6-8 weeks
before ground frost, which most years at my location is well into December.
Ideally, you want the garlic to put down good root growth before the ground
freezes, but little if any top growth.
More rules to be severely bent... I do things when I can!

We had our first real frost last night; there was just the lightest "kiss"
of frost a couple of weeks ago. Didn't even kill the Basil. I'm sure this
one did; the squash foliage is already looking wilted out there.

Old 13-10-2009, 02:45 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible,rec.gardens.organic

"Gary Woods" wrote in message
"Aluckyguess" wrote:

Planted 15 varieties today. I hope it wasnt to early.

Where are you located? The rule of thumb I've heard is to plant 6-8 weeks
before ground frost, which most years at my location is well into
December.
Ideally, you want the garlic to put down good root growth before the
ground
freezes, but little if any top growth.
More rules to be severely bent... I do things when I can!

We had our first real frost last night; there was just the lightest "kiss"
of frost a couple of weeks ago. Didn't even kill the Basil. I'm sure
this
one did; the squash foliage is already looking wilted out there.

Southern ca. Sometimes we never get a frost. Around easter it starts to
get cold.

Old 13-10-2009, 03:39 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible,rec.gardens.organic

"Aluckyguess" wrote in message

"Gary Woods" wrote in message
"Aluckyguess" wrote:

Planted 15 varieties today. I hope it wasnt to early.

Where are you located? The rule of thumb I've heard is to plant 6-8
weeks
before ground frost, which most years at my location is well into
December.
Ideally, you want the garlic to put down good root growth before the
ground
freezes, but little if any top growth.
More rules to be severely bent... I do things when I can!

We had our first real frost last night; there was just the lightest
"kiss"
of frost a couple of weeks ago. Didn't even kill the Basil. I'm sure
this
one did; the squash foliage is already looking wilted out there.

Southern ca. Sometimes we never get a frost. Around easter it starts to
get cold.

I meant Halloween. Don't know why I said Easter.