Old 11-04-2010, 10:07 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible

Default Horseshit!

I've just found a source for free composted horse manure, there is a
horse farm about 1/2 mile from me that gives it away. They have a big
compost pile, you just have to drive up with some containers and take as
much as you want.

I have a few questions about it's usage.

1) Is it good for everything or should I just put it on some crops? I
grow strawberries, blueberries, tomatoes, carrots, parsnips, cucumbers,
peas, broccoli, spinach and cord.

2) Should I work it into the soil as a soil conditioner?

3) Can I use it as a mulch?

4) How much is too much?
Old 11-04-2010, 10:34 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible

In article ,
General Schvantzkoph wrote:

I've just found a source for free composted horse manure, there is a
horse farm about 1/2 mile from me that gives it away. They have a big
compost pile, you just have to drive up with some containers and take as
much as you want.

I have a few questions about it's usage.

1) Is it good for everything or should I just put it on some crops? I
grow strawberries, blueberries, tomatoes, carrots, parsnips, cucumbers,
peas, broccoli, spinach and cord.

2) Should I work it into the soil as a soil conditioner?

3) Can I use it as a mulch?

4) How much is too much?

Don't pass go . Get it.

Spread around in you leisure .

Consider a visit to your local barber and see if all that ugly nasty
cut hair can be taken. N2

Dead stuff once alive is gold. Passed thru a digestive tract
platinum.

You the same guy with seed info clueless on establishing life force?
Seems weird that you do not know of life.

--
Bill Garden in shade zone 5 S Jersey USA

Old 11-04-2010, 11:24 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible

On 4/11/2010 5:07 PM, General Schvantzkoph wrote:
I've just found a source for free composted horse manure, there is a
horse farm about 1/2 mile from me that gives it away. They have a big
compost pile, you just have to drive up with some containers and take as
much as you want.

I have a few questions about it's usage.

1) Is it good for everything or should I just put it on some crops? I
grow strawberries, blueberries, tomatoes, carrots, parsnips, cucumbers,
peas, broccoli, spinach and cord.

2) Should I work it into the soil as a soil conditioner?

3) Can I use it as a mulch?

4) How much is too much?

There was an organic farmer used to post here that cautioned using it on
vegetables because of pesticide put on it to keep flies down.
Old 11-04-2010, 11:39 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible

In article ,
General Schvantzkoph wrote:

I've just found a source for free composted horse manure, there is a
horse farm about 1/2 mile from me that gives it away. They have a big
compost pile, you just have to drive up with some containers and take as
much as you want.

I have a few questions about it's usage.

1) Is it good for everything or should I just put it on some crops? I
grow strawberries, blueberries, tomatoes, carrots, parsnips, cucumbers,
peas, broccoli, spinach and cord.

2) Should I work it into the soil as a soil conditioner?

3) Can I use it as a mulch?

4) How much is too much?

Jeeze General, for tomatoes, peppers, and corn 28 lbs/100sq. ft.
They need high nitrogen. The rest you are going to have to look up.
Maybe buy or borrow "Vegetable Gardener' Bible" by Edward C. Smith.
http://www.amazon.com/Vegetable-Gard...Gardening/dp/1
580172121/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1206815454&sr=1-1

How common manures measure up

Manure Chicken Diary cow Horse Steer Rabbit Sheep
N 1.1 .257 .70 .70 2.4 .70
P .80 .15 .30 .30 1.4 .30
K .50 .25 .60 .40 .60 .90

Sources: Rodale's All-New Encyclopedia of Organic Gardening, An
Illustrated Guide to
Organic Gardening, by Sunset Publishing, and the Rodale Guide to
Composting.

Note: Nutrient values of manures vary greatly, depending on the diet and
age of the animals, and the nature and quantiy of bedding in the mix.
Http://www.plantea.com/manuer.htm
--
- Billy
Old 12-04-2010, 12:09 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible

General Schvantzkoph wrote:
I've just found a source for free composted horse manure, there is a
horse farm about 1/2 mile from me that gives it away. They have a big
compost pile, you just have to drive up with some containers and take
as much as you want.

I have a few questions about it's usage.

1) Is it good for everything or should I just put it on some crops? I
grow strawberries, blueberries, tomatoes, carrots, parsnips,
cucumbers, peas, broccoli, spinach and cord.

Yes

2) Should I work it into the soil as a soil conditioner?

Yes

3) Can I use it as a mulch?

Yes

4) How much is too much?

Use liberally. It is hard to over do it especially if it is well composted,
it does not burn in excess like poultry manure.

David

Old 12-04-2010, 12:10 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible

In article ,
Bill who putters wrote:

In article ,
General Schvantzkoph wrote:

I've just found a source for free composted horse manure, there is a
horse farm about 1/2 mile from me that gives it away. They have a big
compost pile, you just have to drive up with some containers and take as
much as you want.

I have a few questions about it's usage.

1) Is it good for everything or should I just put it on some crops?

If crop established, side dress and cover it with mulch.
If it is fresh, don't eat crops for at least 3 month.
If crops not established, lasagna garden. Spread amendments. Spread
manure. Cover with newspaper. Cover with mulch. Hose it down. Wait 2
weeks, and plant.

grow strawberries, blueberries, tomatoes, carrots, parsnips, cucumbers,
peas, broccoli, spinach and cord.

2) Should I work it into the soil as a soil conditioner?

3) Can I use it as a mulch?

4) How much is too much?

20 lbs/100 sq. ft., or when your plants die. Whichever comes first ;O)

Old 12-04-2010, 12:22 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible

In article ,
Frank wrote:

On 4/11/2010 5:07 PM, General Schvantzkoph wrote:
I've just found a source for free composted horse manure, there is a
horse farm about 1/2 mile from me that gives it away. They have a big
compost pile, you just have to drive up with some containers and take as
much as you want.

I have a few questions about it's usage.

1) Is it good for everything or should I just put it on some crops? I
grow strawberries, blueberries, tomatoes, carrots, parsnips, cucumbers,
peas, broccoli, spinach and cord.

2) Should I work it into the soil as a soil conditioner?

3) Can I use it as a mulch?

4) How much is too much?

There was an organic farmer used to post here that cautioned using it on
vegetables because of pesticide put on it to keep flies down.

Frank is referring to a problem in Britain the last few years with
aminopyralid. Bad stuff, but not a problem, as far as I know, here in
the colonies.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Aminopyralid
Aminopyralid is a selective hormone-based herbicide manufactured by Dow
AgroSciences for control of broadleaf weeds on grassland, such as docks,
thistles and nettles. It was first registered for use in 2005, in the
USA under the brand name "Milestone".[2]
Aminopyralid is of concern to vegetable growers as it can enter the food
chain via manure which contains long lasting residues of the herbicide.
It affects potatoes, tomatoes and beans, causing deformed plants, and
poor or non-existent yields. Problems with manure contaminated with
Aminopyralid residue surfaced in the UK in June and July 2008, and at
the end of July 2008 Dow AgroSciences implemented an immediate
suspension of UK sales and use of herbicides containing Aminopyralid.
--
- Billy
Old 12-04-2010, 12:35 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible

On Sun, 11 Apr 2010 16:22:58 -0700, Billy wrote:

In article ,
Frank wrote:

[...]

The horse farm where I'm getting this from isn't a commercial venture,
they only have a couple of horses so I doubt they are using anything
exotic.

Old 12-04-2010, 01:26 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible

General Schvantzkoph wrote:
I've just found a source for free composted horse manure, there is a
horse farm about 1/2 mile from me that gives it away. They have a
big
compost pile, you just have to drive up with some containers and
take
as much as you want.

If there is a choice, fill your containers from the pile where it's
been there the longest and is well composted. That is what we call
Black Gold where I live. I cover my garden with 6 to 8 inches in the
fall and till it. Besides being already composted, most of the weed
seeds will have already sprouted and died. I just put it down every 2
years & I have loam soil about a foot deep where it use to be red clay
that was like a brick when dry!! If it's not already composted, get
it anyway and use as mulch and work into the soil after harvest. BTW,
I don't think you can get too much if it's already composted!! Good
soil will crumble in your hand like the potting soil you buy at the
nursery at 3 or 4 bucks a bag!!

Tom J

Old 12-04-2010, 01:33 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible

On 4/11/2010 7:22 PM, Billy wrote:
In ,
wrote:

[...]

Farmer was here in the US in Maryland and it may have been as long as
over 10 years ago. I cannot recall what the insecticide was but I
believe it was sprayed on manure in the stable.

Old 12-04-2010, 02:31 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible

wrote:

[...]

Very helpful. Thank you, Frank.
--
- Billy
Old 12-04-2010, 03:03 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible
Una Una is offline

General Schvantzkoph wrote:
I've just found a source for free composted horse manure, there is a
horse farm about 1/2 mile from me that gives it away. They have a big
compost pile, you just have to drive up with some containers and take as
much as you want.

Good stuff there. Go for it.

1) Is it good for everything or should I just put it on some crops? I
grow strawberries, blueberries, tomatoes, carrots, parsnips, cucumbers,
peas, broccoli, spinach and cord.

For below ground crops, you'll want to use well cooked manure. Even an
old manure pile might not be all that well cooked. Do you have room to
do your own composting? Use your own composted manure for those crops,
for best quality control.

2) Should I work it into the soil as a soil conditioner?

Certainly, if the soil needs improvement and you want to do the work.

3) Can I use it as a mulch?

Yes. Especially if you put it on top of growing weeds. Smothers them.
There may or may not be viable seeds in the manure.

4) How much is too much?

In a vegetable garden there is no such thing as too much horse manure.

Some horse owners do spray problem spots with insecticide, but it is a
limited application and done only when flies are a problem. So not in
winter outside the tropics. During winter many horse owners also cut
back on treatments for intestinal worms. And the horses tend to be fed
more (only?) from hay bales or other processed feed, so seeds are at an
absolute minimum. Winter manure is the best manure you can find, and
it is most abundant in spring. How convenient!

Enjoy,

Una

Old 12-04-2010, 08:30 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible

Una wrote:

1) Is it good for everything or should I just put it on some crops? I
grow strawberries, blueberries, tomatoes, carrots, parsnips,
cucumbers, peas, broccoli, spinach and cord.

For below ground crops, you'll want to use well cooked manure. Even
an old manure pile might not be all that well cooked. Do you have
room to do your own composting? Use your own composted manure for
those crops, for best quality control.

I presume a 'below ground' crop is a root ot tuber and that 'well cooked'
means well composted and degraded.. Why should the manure be well cooked in
that particular case?

David

Old 12-04-2010, 12:50 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible

On Sun, 11 Apr 2010 20:03:19 -0600, Una wrote:

[...]

I've just ordered a composter, I think I'll cook some of it some more.
This stuff is only partially composted,