Old 25-04-2010, 07:22 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible

Default How do you apply special treats to your plants?

I spray them with liquid seaweed diluted. Fish emulsion I dilute and
hand pour along the edge line.

I have a bucket with a link to a hose which I could siphon to a hose
but did not like the idea of fish emulsion backing into to my water
system.

What do you find worthy of doing?

Bill

--

łThat means on average 18 veterans commit suicide
each day."
Old 25-04-2010, 07:52 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible
Una Una is offline

Bill who putters wrote:
I have a bucket with a link to a hose which I could siphon to a hose
but did not like the idea of fish emulsion backing into to my water
system.

These siphon systems are supposed to have a design that prevents back
flow. But I don't like to send anything through the garden hose that
is not potable water.

How about filling a garbage can with water and fish emulsion or such,
maybe elevated on some blocks, and using a dedicated hose plus gravity
to siphon the liquid out of the garbage can onto the yard?

Una
Old 26-04-2010, 04:09 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible

Una wrote:
Bill who putters wrote:
I have a bucket with a link to a hose which I could siphon to a hose
but did not like the idea of fish emulsion backing into to my water
system.

These siphon systems are supposed to have a design that prevents back
flow. But I don't like to send anything through the garden hose that
is not potable water.

I'm assuming drip irrigation but I may be mistaken.

Each foot of water = .43 psi. You'd need about 25' to get to the 10 psi
that most drippers need.

Jeff

Old 26-04-2010, 04:34 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible

In article ,
Jeff Thies wrote:

Una wrote:
Bill who putters wrote:
I have a bucket with a link to a hose which I could siphon to a hose
but did not like the idea of fish emulsion backing into to my water
system.

These siphon systems are supposed to have a design that prevents back
flow. But I don't like to send anything through the garden hose that
is not potable water.

I'm assuming drip irrigation but I may be mistaken.

Each foot of water = .43 psi. You'd need about 25' to get to the 10 psi
that most drippers need.

Jeff

How about filling a garbage can with water and fish emulsion or such,
maybe elevated on some blocks, and using a dedicated hose plus gravity
to siphon the liquid out of the garbage can onto the yard?

Una

Oh, you can always punch holes (hot needle) into a length of pvc.
--
- Billy

Old 26-04-2010, 03:37 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible

"Una" wrote in message ...
Bill who putters wrote:
I have a bucket with a link to a hose which I could siphon to a hose
but did not like the idea of fish emulsion backing into to my water
system.

These siphon systems are supposed to have a design that prevents back
flow. But I don't like to send anything through the garden hose that
is not potable water.

Don't consider anything coming through a hose as potable unless the hose is
marked food grade.

Old 26-04-2010, 03:53 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible

In article ,
"Steve Peek" wrote:

"Una" wrote in message ...
Bill who putters wrote:
I have a bucket with a link to a hose which I could siphon to a hose
but did not like the idea of fish emulsion backing into to my water
system.

These siphon systems are supposed to have a design that prevents back
flow. But I don't like to send anything through the garden hose that
is not potable water.

Don't consider anything coming through a hose as potable unless the hose is
marked food grade.

Yikes !

I am leaning more to just hand dispersal as the area is small and the
applications few.

My son Kurt gave me 4 glass balls with glass spouts pulled off it and
seems and it works inside that the water goes out as it is needed. This
house plant stuff but scale does matter.
I know of siphoning but wonder if the reverse is possible?

Currenty looking at
http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&c...plant+water+di
spersion+schemes+home+garden+best+practice+small+s cale&as_q=inexpensive&b
tnG=Search%C2%A0within%C2%A0results

Bill

--

łThat means on average 18 veterans commit suicide
each day."
Five of those veterans are under our care at VA.
http://www.nydailynews.com/news/national/2010/01/
12/2010-01-12_army_suicide_.html#ixzz0m7nSNTq8

OFF TOPIC - help on making bird treats Cheryl Isaak Gardening 17 28-11-2005 04:24 AM
Foound some cheap treats the GF and koi really enjoy ~Roy Ponds 0 20-10-2005 10:16 PM
koi treats btinternet Ponds 7 24-04-2004 06:03 PM
koi treats btinternet Ponds 1 17-04-2004 08:10 PM