Old 22-05-2010, 04:08 PM
Registered User

Default Salad stuff

I want to start growing my own salad stuff, and perhaps a few veggies, in one of those plastic small sort of small greenhouse. Is it too late in the year. I have never grown this sort of thing before except for tomatoes. how do I start with lettuce and mustard cress
Old 22-05-2010, 09:58 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible

Barbara Brown wrote:
I want to start growing my own salad stuff, and perhaps a few veggies,
in one of those plastic small sort of small greenhouse. Is it too late
in the year. I have never grown this sort of thing before except for
tomatoes. how do I start with lettuce and mustard cress

How hot is it where you are?

Some stuff here on hot weather greens:

http://www.motherearthnews.com/Grow-...ernatives.aspx

Unless it is very cold where you are, the warmer temps in the
greenhouse will work against you.

I have some Swiss Chard and Kale (a rescue from KMart) growing in 7b.
Probably too late for them, but the Kale is doing well and the Swiss
Chard is OK. It'll be in the 90's tomorrow, so I'll see.

Jeff

Old 23-05-2010, 12:50 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible

Barbara Brown wrote:
I want to start growing my own salad stuff, and perhaps a few veggies,
in one of those plastic small sort of small greenhouse. Is it too late
in the year. I have never grown this sort of thing before except for
tomatoes. how do I start with lettuce and mustard cress

Without knowing where you are and what your climate is like it is impossible
to say.

David

From: "David Hare-Scott"
Newsgroups: rec.gardens.edible
Subject: Salad stuff
Date: Sun, 23 May 2010 09:50:43 +1000

I would say UK.
Why would a person from gardenbanter.co.uk ask a q here?

From: "David Hare-Scott"
Newsgroups: rec.gardens.edible
Date: Sun, 23 May 2010 09:50:43 +1000

I would say UK.

Quite possibly but there is still a wide range of conditions there.

Why would a person from gardenbanter.co.uk ask a q here?

Because gardenbanter links into usenet and presents posts through its own
interface. Gandenbanter posters often don't know that their stuff is going
international.

David

Old 24-05-2010, 03:22 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible

"PtePike" wrote in message
"David Hare-Scott" wrote in
Barbara Brown wrote:
I want to start growing my own salad stuff, (snip)

Without knowing where you are and what your climate is like it is
impossible to say.

(snip)

I would say UK.
Why would a person from gardenbanter.co.uk ask a q here?

Well why not? I know we all get irritated with Gardenbanter posts, but then
they are no more irritating than any other newsgroup posters. One of my pet
peeves are those posters who live in the US who say they live in Zone X and
thus assume that tells others all they need to know.

We're all victims of our own cultures/assumptions and that applies to
Netland as well as our normal lives. I'm trying to be nice to my pet peeve.
I feed and groom it regularly but sometimes I really am very tempted to just
kick the fertiliser out of it and send it to a peeve shelter where someone
else witll take the responsibility for either rehousing it or putting it to
sleep.

Old 24-05-2010, 07:00 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible

In article ,
"FarmI" ask@itshall be given wrote:

"PtePike" wrote in message
"David Hare-Scott" wrote in
[...]