Old 16-08-2010, 09:49 PM
Registered User

Unhappy cucumber frustration :(

i tried growing cucumbers last yr and again this yr but got nabbed by a virus both
yrs, so frustrating . i checked to see if they were blight resistant and virus resistant as well so it just adds to the frustration of things.
anyone else have problems
Old 17-08-2010, 07:43 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible

Default cucumber frustration :(

"sockiescat" wrote in message

i tried growing cucumbers last yr and again this yr but got nabbed by a
virus both
yrs, so frustrating . i checked to see if they were blight resistant
and virus resistant as well so it just adds to the frustration of
things.
anyone else have problems

I don't have virus problems, but my cucumber seedlings kept getting eaten by
earwigs. I finally planted seeds in peat pellets and set the pellets right
up on the ground surrounded by cardboard, and some of them finally grew, but
they are only about a foot high at this point in mid-August! Slow year for
me, definitely.
--S.

Old 17-08-2010, 12:09 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible

sockiescat said:

i tried growing cucumbers last yr and again this yr but got nabbed by a
virus both
yrs, so frustrating . i checked to see if they were blight resistant
and virus resistant as well so it just adds to the frustration of
things.
anyone else have problems

Mine always succumb to bacterial wilt.

For a while, I was growing them under screening, to exclude the
beetles that carry bacterial wilt. So then they started dying of fungus
(no real air circulation under the screen).

So I skipped a couple of years. This year, no screening, the seedlings
were mercilessly attacked by earwigs, overcame that to start setting
some fruit, then died of wilt. I got two cucumbers.

I used to be able to buy an insecticide specific for cucumber beetles
(encapsulated bait made with cucurbitacin). I used to grow such nice
melons and cukes. Not anymore.

--
Pat in Plymouth MI

nutrients..." --Largo Potter, Valkyria Chronicles

email valid but not regularly monitored

Old 17-08-2010, 06:45 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible

On Tue, 17 Aug 2010 07:09:50 -0400, Pat Kiewicz
wrote:

sockiescat said:

[...]

We have basically the same problem here. Haven't had a decent crop of
pickling cucumbers or muskmelons for years.

Ross.
Old 17-08-2010, 08:31 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible

wrote:

sockiescat said:

[...]

I'm having a great year for cucumbers, in fact I'm about to start
pickling them because I've saturated on eating fresh cumcumbers. I've
also have a million tomatoes, the pumpkins are doing well and I did OK
with peas. I only had blueberries for a couple of weeks this year as did
the strawberries. Last year I got no cucumbers, no peas, and hardly any
tomatoes but I had blueberries from the spring through the fall. The
difference was that last year was cold and wet which killed all of my
vegetables but was great for my fruit, this year is hot and dry which is
great for the vegetables and sucks for the fruit.

Old 18-08-2010, 02:21 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible

"sockiescat" wrote in message

i tried growing cucumbers last yr and again this yr but got nabbed by
virus both
yrs, so frustrating . i checked to see if they were blight resistant
and virus resistant as well so it just adds to the frustration of
things.
anyone else have problems

--
sockiescat

Don’t think I have a virus, maybe rootbound. Yellow leaf edges, and
spots. But I did get a half dozen cuks from the vine. I'm waiting to
see if the last two inflate This vine was grown in a pot. First time
I tried growing cucumbers.

Cheers

Old 19-08-2010, 03:36 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible

I am going to experiment with clove oil and liquid 7, in some type of a
yellow container.
Every day I went out and pulled about 5-10 cucumber beetles out of the
flowers, cucumbers, squash, zucchini, they love yellow.
I used a small thin needle nose pliers. Was able to get down where they do
their thing..
Gotta trap them before they get time to do the damage..
Clove oil is an attractant and the 7 kills them, a buddy of mine uses a tbsp
of tobacco juice, mouthwash, and dishwasher liquid., he sprays the plants,
however the leaves don't like it...gotta be a way of doing them in.....

Old 23-08-2010, 04:18 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible

On 8/16/2010 4:49 PM, sockiescat wrote:
i tried growing cucumbers last yr and again this yr but got nabbed by a
virus both
yrs, so frustrating . i checked to see if they were blight resistant
and virus resistant as well so it just adds to the frustration of
things.
anyone else have problems

I gave up on my cukes long ago, got a few. The squash just disappeared,
like it was never there. Something is eating my habenaro pepper, both
leaves and peppers, but how many habenaro peppers do I need?

It's been a bit a hot year, and I've been very busy, so I've been
negligent.

My blueberies, planted last year, have done well. Peaches look good
too, although I don't know what to expect in the season.

My tomatoes have done well, and my neighbor who has all the sunlight,
is a tomato factory. Neither of us has had any musk melons, some
honeydew.No bell peppers.

Since, we are novice gardeners, we assume we just screwed up! But
nature has been quirky.

With El Nino warming things up we can get over the last few "cool"
years (there's been a La Nina). Should be interesting.

Jeff

Old 23-08-2010, 07:20 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible

In article ,
Jeff Thies wrote:

I gave up on my cukes long ago, got a few. The squash just disappeared,
like it was never there. Something is eating my habenaro pepper, both
leaves and peppers, but how many habenaro peppers do I need?

It's been a bit a hot year, and I've been very busy, so I've been
negligent.

When I looked up recipes that used habaneros, the most that I saw used
was 1/2. Usually it was 1/4. They have great heat, but will definitly
take the edge off any excess testosterone that you may have. Personally,
I like the flavor of jalapenos better.

Praise the lord, we will be getting our 3rd day of 90+°F (32°C) today.
(Not in a row, but for the season:O( I'm expecting the tomato patch to
turn red this afternoon.
--
- Billy
http://www.democracynow.org/2010/7/2/maude
Old 24-08-2010, 03:41 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible

On Aug 23, 11:20*am, Billy wrote:
In article ,
*Jeff Thies wrote:

I gave up on my cukes long ago, got a few. The squash just disappeared,
like it was never there. Something is eating my habenaro pepper, both
leaves and peppers, but how many habenaro peppers do I need?

* *It's been a bit a hot year, and I've been very busy, so I've been
negligent.

When I looked up recipes that used habaneros, the most that I saw used
was 1/2. Usually it was 1/4. They have great heat, but will definitly
take the edge off any excess testosterone that you may have. Personally,
I like the flavor of jalapenos better.

Praise the lord, we will be getting our 3rd day of 90+°F (32°C) today..
(Not in a row, but for the season:O( I'm expecting the tomato patch to
turn red this afternoon.
--
- Billy
merger of state and corporate power." - Benito Mussolini.http://www.democracynow.org/2010/7/2...01072816515308...

Well we didn't make it to 100 today, only 98.6. But with 14% humidity
and a strong
wind, it really dried everything out. Will have to water everything in
the am.
Since July 1, we have had 4 days in the high 80s, 9 days over 100,
and the rest
all between 90 and 99. It is "supposed" to get down to 77 by Sat. We
shall see.

You might enjoy looking at a very nice farm near here. Same family for
almost 100 years.

www.chaffinfamilyfarms.com/

Emilie

Old 24-08-2010, 05:33 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible

In article
,
mleblanca wrote:

On Aug 23, 11:20*am, Billy wrote:
In article ,
*Jeff Thies wrote:

I gave up on my cukes long ago, got a few. The squash just disappeared,
like it was never there. Something is eating my habenaro pepper, both
leaves and peppers, but how many habenaro peppers do I need?

* *It's been a bit a hot year, and I've been very busy, so I've been
negligent.

When I looked up recipes that used habaneros, the most that I saw used
was 1/2. Usually it was 1/4. They have great heat, but will definitly
take the edge off any excess testosterone that you may have. Personally,
I like the flavor of jalapenos better.

Praise the lord, we will be getting our 3rd day of 90+°F (32°C) today.
(Not in a row, but for the season:O( I'm expecting the tomato patch to
turn red this afternoon.
--
- Billy
merger of state and corporate power." - Benito
Mussolini.http://www.democracynow.org/2010/7/2...lish.aljazeera
.net/video/middleeast/2010/07/201072816515308...

Well we didn't make it to 100 today, only 98.6. But with 14% humidity
and a strong
wind, it really dried everything out. Will have to water everything in
the am.
Since July 1, we have had 4 days in the high 80s, 9 days over 100,
and the rest
all between 90 and 99. It is "supposed" to get down to 77 by Sat. We
shall see.

You might enjoy looking at a very nice farm near here. Same family for
almost 100 years.

www.chaffinfamilyfarms.com/

Emilie

Nice thought, but we've always lived near the ocean, What can I say?

We didn't make it to 90°F. It was 88°F but that was OK because no one
here is ready for 90°F weather. They'd be swooning in the streets. We
stayed inside most of the day. Gotta et up early tomorrow to stack fire
wood, before it gets almost warm ;O)
Old 24-08-2010, 04:53 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible

In article
,
Billy wrote:

In article
,
mleblanca wrote:

On Aug 23, 11:20*am, Billy wrote:

Mussolini.http://www.democracynow.org/2010/7/2...nglish.aljazee
[...]

Well, my social networking isn't working too well. Personal accounts had
yesterdays temps at less than 90°F, but the local paper says we hit 96°F
yesterday, and they have us penciled in for 99°F today, oy. Had all the
windows open last night to cool off the house. I was planning on doing a
quiche tonight, but maybe I'll put that off, and do salad and cheese
instead.

I enjoyed looking at www.chaffinfamilyorchards.com/. That is what we
need more of in this country. It doesn't look as if they are as
intensive as Salatin, but the food looks just as healthy, and admittedly
it is more varied. They mention that grass raised beef is less likely to
have E. coli 0157:H7 (the deadly kind), that is because E. coli 0157:H7
thrives in an acidic environment which steers get in their rumens when
they eat grain. If steers weren't slaughtered at 6 mo., they would die
from stomach ulcers anyway.

Too bad it gets so hot (103°F in Chico, so you should be about 99°F
today and 98°F tomorrow). Do you go to Lake Oroville to escape the heat,
or up the mountain? When it gets hot here, we pack a lunch and run for
the coast. We used to go to the river, but it is getting more and more
polluted.

Well, my wood is waiting. I'd better get to it. Stay cool.
Old 14-09-2010, 08:38 PM
Registered User

Smile

Billy[_10_];898356']In article
,
Billy
wrote:

In article
,
mleblanca
wrote:

On Aug 23, 11:20*am, Billy wrote:
In article ,
*Jeff Thies wrote:

[...]

I enjoyed looking at Chaffin Family Orchards, Family farm products in Oroville, Butte County, California. That is what we
[...]

Maude Barlow: "The World Has Divided into Rich and Poor as at No Time in History"
Israel cracks down on dissent - middleeast - Al Jazeera English

ended up with blight/virus on the tomatoes and the cucumbers as well as the melons this year--really sucked but did manage to get the maters off and was able to use them--a lot were green but cooked up great in relish, chutney and other things .
got a few cucus off before they went bottom up--even though they were listed as virus and blight free they sure werent .
good to hear that some had great luck though--always raises a person spirits . cyaaaaaa, sockiescat.

RHS FRUSTRATION! Janet Tweedy United Kingdom 16 31-12-2009 12:46 PM
Frustration!!! Ray B Orchids 1 29-09-2007 09:41 PM
potting mix frustration 0tterbot Australia 26 23-12-2006 05:13 AM
Lotus Frustration EliezerE Ponds 46 10-07-2003 01:56 PM