Old 07-11-2010, 08:26 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible

Default Persimons

Our neighbor just returned from California and gifted some Persimmons.

What shall we do with them? A little reading in Wiki helped. When ripe
would they be okay for a jam or jelly or just eat them like other
fruit?

Very close pic: (same color, etc.)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Persimon.jpg

Thanks.
Old 07-11-2010, 10:18 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible

On 11/7/2010 2:26 PM, Oren wrote:
Our neighbor just returned from California and gifted some Persimmons.

What shall we do with them? A little reading in Wiki helped. When ripe
would they be okay for a jam or jelly or just eat them like other
fruit?

Very close pic: (same color, etc.)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Persimon.jpg

Thanks.

If they're like the one in the picture they're Fuyu persimmons
originally from Japan. Can be eaten out of hand like and apple when
ripe. If not ripe set them on the counter until they get just a little
soft and then eat.

We have a FUYU tree and I peel the simmon, take out the pips, then run
through the food processor until finely chopped, ie. mash. I then freeze
the puree on a bun sheet, cut it to two-cup size with a pizza cutter and
vacuum bag for later use. I have also just chopped them up and put them
in sealable freezer containers for later use.

I have made jam from them but didn't find it very tasty myself.

You can find a multitude of recipes for them on line. HTH
Old 08-11-2010, 03:03 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible

On Sun, 07 Nov 2010 16:18:11 -0600, George Shirley
wrote:

On 11/7/2010 2:26 PM, Oren wrote:
[...]

Yes they are the same in the picture as best I can tell. Only have
five, but was offered more (bag full).

I have them on the counter and will check them for ripeness and give
them a try. I recall Mom saying once she enjoyed them or was it
pomegranates - not certain. They look similar?

When the neighbor passed them over the fence I did ask if they were
pomegranates. Her father grows them in California at his place. Thank
you.
Old 08-11-2010, 05:03 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible

Oren wrote:

Our neighbor just returned from California and gifted some Persimmons.

What shall we do with them? A little reading in Wiki helped. When ripe
would they be okay for a jam or jelly or just eat them like other
fruit?

Before persimmons are ripe they taste like nuclear powered lemon acid
chalk. After they are ripe they are more like pears. The change is
amazing. Out of hand, reduced to jam - Good either way.
Old 08-11-2010, 05:41 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible

In article ,
Doug Freyburger wrote:

Oren wrote:

Our neighbor just returned from California and gifted some Persimmons.

What shall we do with them? A little reading in Wiki helped. When ripe
would they be okay for a jam or jelly or just eat them like other
fruit?

Before persimmons are ripe they taste like nuclear powered lemon acid
chalk. After they are ripe they are more like pears. The change is
amazing. Out of hand, reduced to jam - Good either way.

I'd just point out that there are 2 types of persimmons perhaps more.
The wild or common are large trees with lots of small fruit around here.
I don't know who uses these but would guess a possible wine or jelly
candidate.
The other is the orange baseball size fruit grown somewhere that are
expensive. But left on a kitchen window and becoming very soft they
become a sweet tart astringent counter point to ice cream. Many stars.

--
Bill S. Jersey USA zone 5 shade garden
http://www.informationisbeautiful.ne...l-supplements/

Old 08-11-2010, 07:08 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible

wrote:
On 11/7/2010 2:26 PM, Oren wrote:
[...]

you.- Hide quoted text -

Pomegranates have a hard outer shell, generally red, and are filled
with many small translucent red edible seeds. You definitely have a
persimmon.

Wait until it's really really soft. The skin contains an astringent
that is absolutely dreadful if you eat them before they are truly
ripe. You will never forget it if you do.

Susan B.
Old 08-11-2010, 09:06 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible

Bill who putters wrote:
In article ,
Doug Freyburger wrote:

Oren wrote:

[...]

This describes the two sorts with pics

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Persimmon

David
Old 08-11-2010, 11:47 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible

wrote:

On 11/7/2010 2:26 PM, Oren wrote:
[...]

FUYU's don't ripen soft like the other kind of Japanese persimmons,
don't let them stay to long or they will rot. Pomegranates are a red
fruit from a bushy tree, you eat the pulp from around the seed and toss
the rest, completely different stuff.

When the neighbor passed them over the fence I did ask if they were
pomegranates. Her father grows them in California at his place. Thank
you.

You're welcome. My favorite recipe was a persimmon cake, found the
recipe on the web.

Old 09-11-2010, 12:01 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible

On 11/8/2010 11:41 AM, Bill who putters wrote:
In ,
Doug wrote:

Oren wrote:

Our neighbor just returned from California and gifted some Persimmons.

What shall we do with them? A little reading in Wiki helped. When ripe
would they be okay for a jam or jelly or just eat them like other
fruit?

Before persimmons are ripe they taste like nuclear powered lemon acid
chalk. After they are ripe they are more like pears. The change is
amazing. Out of hand, reduced to jam - Good either way.

I'd just point out that there are 2 types of persimmons perhaps more.
The wild or common are large trees with lots of small fruit around here.
I don't know who uses these but would guess a possible wine or jelly
candidate.

FIL used to make persimmon wine from the American persimmon. My Dad
always waited until after the first frost to eat any of them, said it
sweetened them. They still tasted like distilled battery acid to me.

The other is the orange baseball size fruit grown somewhere that are
expensive. But left on a kitchen window and becoming very soft they
become a sweet tart astringent counter point to ice cream. Many stars.

There are at least two types of Japanese persimmon here in the states.
The Fuyu, the one the original correspondent had the picture of and the
other, the name of which I can't remember at the moment. The Fuyu can be
eaten out of hand without waiting for it to get soft and is crisp and
sweet. The other, more common, Japanese persimmon must be absolutely
soft to eat. My DW like to put the whole common persimmon in the
freezer, get it frozen solid, then eat it like sherbet. I have used that
one for pies, cakes, cookies, and about anything that calls for any sort
of fruit. Both are prolific in my USDA Zone 9b.

Unfortunately, my clueless next door neighbor sprayed Round Up along our
common fence line and both my Fuyu persimmon and my St. John's quince
dropped their fruit. We've had a chat about it and he won't spray my
fence line anymore. I will weed eat it each time he mows and that saves
him time. He's a deputy sheriff and is always busy so I forgave him - once.

Old 09-11-2010, 12:03 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible

Bill who putters wrote:
In article ,
Doug Freyburger wrote:

Oren wrote:

[...]

That's the other common Japanese persimmon I was trying to think of,
Hachiya, you're right about the ripening. Just remembered a friend has a
Hachiya tree in his yard and doesn't use the fruit, will contact him
tomorrow.

Old 10-11-2010, 02:02 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible

On Mon, 8 Nov 2010 17:03:04 +0000 (UTC), Doug Freyburger
wrote:

Before persimmons are ripe they taste like nuclear powered lemon acid
chalk.

chuckle I checked them this morning for softening. At least one
seems close enough to eat. I'll try it tomorrow.

Hope my mouth doesn't pucker real bad.
Old 10-11-2010, 02:09 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible

On Mon, 08 Nov 2010 17:47:18 -0600, George Shirley
wrote:

FUYU's don't ripen soft like the other kind of Japanese persimmons,
don't let them stay to long or they will rot.

One is soft for me to try in the morning. I've never eaten one so I
hope I enjoy it G.
Old 10-11-2010, 04:31 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible

wrote:
FUYU's don't ripen soft like the other kind of Japanese persimmons,
don't let them stay to long or they will rot.

One is soft for me to try in the morning. I've never eaten one so I
hope I enjoy it G.

A somewhat related question about persimmons: can I just plant the
seeds from ripe persimmons to grow new trees or do they need to be
chilled or frozen before they sprout?

Paul
Old 10-11-2010, 05:01 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible

In article
,

wrote:
FUYU's don't ripen soft like the other kind of Japanese persimmons,
don't let them stay to long or they will rot.

One is soft for me to try in the morning. I've never eaten one so I
hope I enjoy it G.

A somewhat related question about persimmons: can I just plant the
seeds from ripe persimmons to grow new trees or do they need to be
chilled or frozen before they sprout?

Paul

http://chestofbooks.com/gardening-ho...al-And-Subtrop
ical-Fruits/Japanese-Persimmon-Propagation.html

The local inferior persimmons can handle simple plant of seed.
Japanese persimmons seem a tad more involved.

Old 10-11-2010, 09:24 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible

Bill who putters wrote:

The local inferior persimmons can handle simple plant of seed.
Japanese persimmons seem a tad more involved.

Isn't the collar grafting method standard issue with apple trees?
Apples do not breed true (they must have very complex genetics) so root
stock from seed is used and the trunk and up is a branch from an
established tree.