Old 03-12-2010, 10:50 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible

Default Catalogues arriving N. America

Yesterday Nichols Garden Nursery was at my door. Also the largest
Johnny's catalogue I've ever seen. Already stated thinking about trying
different sprouting mixes. Alfalfa was #1 here but Red Russian Kale is
very new to me and I wonder how it will do on our plates.

--
Bill S. Jersey USA zone 5 shade garden

Daniel Moynihan and Dennis Kucinich in 2012 !

Old 04-12-2010, 06:45 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible

Bill who putters wrote:
Yesterday Nichols Garden Nursery was at my door. Also the largest
Johnny's catalogue I've ever seen. Already stated thinking about
trying different sprouting mixes. Alfalfa was #1 here but Red
Russian Kale is very new to me and I wonder how it will do on our
plates.

I like kale. I haven't grown Red Russian but I think it would be worth a
try. The ones I have grown are easy to grow, hardy, nutritious and tasty.
Some find the flavour a little strong but if you like brassicas you will
like kale. This is not a "sprout" it is a biennial that grows about 3-5ft
high with cut-and-come-again leaves.

David

Old 04-12-2010, 11:02 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible

In article ,
"David Hare-Scott" wrote:

Bill who putters wrote:
Yesterday Nichols Garden Nursery was at my door. Also the largest
Johnny's catalogue I've ever seen. Already stated thinking about
trying different sprouting mixes. Alfalfa was #1 here but Red
Russian Kale is very new to me and I wonder how it will do on our
plates.

I like kale. I haven't grown Red Russian but I think it would be worth a
try. The ones I have grown are easy to grow, hardy, nutritious and tasty.
Some find the flavour a little strong but if you like brassicas you will
like kale. This is not a "sprout" it is a biennial that grows about 3-5ft
high with cut-and-come-again leaves.

David

Never saw it offered for sprouting till now.

http://www.johnnyseeds.com/p-6806-ka...ussian-og.aspx

Old 05-12-2010, 07:32 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible

"Bill who putters" wrote in message
Yesterday Nichols Garden Nursery was at my door. Also the largest
Johnny's catalogue I've ever seen. Already stated thinking about trying
different sprouting mixes. Alfalfa was #1 here but Red Russian Kale is
very new to me and I wonder how it will do on our plates.

--
Bill S. Jersey USA zone 5 shade garden

Daniel Moynihan and Dennis Kucinich in 2012 !

I ordered a Johnies . To check it out.

Dennis Kucinich, You live in Ohio with me /?

Old 05-12-2010, 07:51 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible

Bill who putters wrote:

Red Russian Kale is
very new to me and I wonder how it will do on our plates.

I've got about a three-lifetime supply of seed; didn't occur to me to make
sprouts....will give it a try!
For eating, I really like "Tuscan" AKA "Dinosaur" kale.

Old 05-12-2010, 08:43 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible

In article ,
"DogDiesel" wrote:

"Bill who putters" wrote in message
Yesterday Nichols Garden Nursery was at my door. Also the largest
Johnny's catalogue I've ever seen. Already stated thinking about trying
different sprouting mixes. Alfalfa was #1 here but Red Russian Kale is
very new to me and I wonder how it will do on our plates.

--
Bill S. Jersey USA zone 5 shade garden

Daniel Moynihan and Dennis Kucinich in 2012 !

I ordered a Johnies . To check it out.

Dennis Kucinich, You live in Ohio with me /?

Not from Ohio but like it once spent a few days in a college town in
1968. Remember streams running across the road. Now it comes to me it
was Athens, Ohio when tuition was free for state residents. Went
there to visit some folks that moved there from NJ.

Kucinich is intelligent Monynihan was too wrote several books. I'd
like a hybrid of both of these guys. A little right a little left stir
and make mistakes that hurt the wealthy for a change.