Old 22-02-2011, 04:35 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible

Default Rhubarb

Looks like most of my rhubarb has survived another winter. Several
are questionable but I am hoping the some or the others can be
divided. Got them all weeded and the next move is to put some compost
on them. Last week I emptied one of the compost boxes and sifted the
compost into a couple of smaller garbage cans with wheels. Shall see
how far that goes. I have one more box that could use emptying. Then
out into the woods for the composted grass clippings. Some of it was
already there when we moved here 7 years ago. Should be good.

Most of the seeds I started a couple of weeks ago are getting their
second leaves. I need to move them into larger quarters.
--
USA
North Carolina Foothills
Old 22-02-2011, 06:05 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible

In article ,
The Cook wrote:

Looks like most of my rhubarb has survived another winter. Several
are questionable but I am hoping the some or the others can be
divided. Got them all weeded and the next move is to put some compost
on them. Last week I emptied one of the compost boxes and sifted the
compost into a couple of smaller garbage cans with wheels. Shall see
how far that goes. I have one more box that could use emptying. Then
out into the woods for the composted grass clippings. Some of it was
already there when we moved here 7 years ago. Should be good.

Most of the seeds I started a couple of weeks ago are getting their
second leaves. I need to move them into larger quarters.

.. . . and so it begins :O)
--
Every gun that is made, every warship launched, every rocket fired signifies in the final sense, a theft from those who hunger and are not fed, those who are cold and are not clothed. This world in arms is not spending money alone. It is spending the sweat of its laborers, the genius of its scientists, the hopes of its children. This is not a way of life at all in any true sense. Under the clouds of war, it is humanity hanging on a cross of iron.
- Dwight D. Eisenhower, 16 April 1953
Old 28-02-2011, 05:23 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible

My understanding of rhubarb is 10/10/10 in the start of the growing season,
keep mulched and organic compost in the fall..
In our 3rd year now and they are coming along great...this year we will be
using it..
I never allow weeds of any kind in any of my beds, I have four 4X4X10s
raised beds and doing great in one