Old 11-04-2011, 11:49 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible

Default How I am planning my summer.

Billy wrote:

How was last years harvest, and what are you planting this year?
Anything new? Any changes to your garden?

Last years harvest was horrible. I neglected my garden and plants because
of my retirement and working extra hours training my replacement. This year
I want to make the yard look better. Nothing extra in terms of plants.

I am going to rip up all plastic border materials and toss them into trash.
I will go with natural borders using a half moon spade. I got a book on
making ones own concrete garden ornaments and hypertufas. My intentions is
making my own custom made patio blocks for pathways ( this is an experiment
and short lived since money is tight this year ).

Next month Bessy will have her calf and I will learn all about making my
own cheese, yogurt and ice cream. Cheese making equipment is not cheap, I
hope it is not a wallet breaker. The way food prices are now with high gas
prices, I may be in good shape for the coming years.

I will continue my personal studies on mathematics and get some books on
computer modeling techniques. This is how I am planning my summer.

Old 11-04-2011, 03:44 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible

"Nad R" wrote in message
Billy wrote:

[...]

Go online to www.winepress.net . It's mostly winemaking, but they do have a
cheesemaking group with some knowledgeable people there.

Old 11-04-2011, 07:41 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible

In article ,
Nad R wrote:

Billy wrote:

How was last years harvest, and what are you planting this year?
Anything new? Any changes to your garden?

Last years harvest was horrible. I neglected my garden and plants because
of my retirement and working extra hours training my replacement. This year
I want to make the yard look better. Nothing extra in terms of plants.

How big is your gardening area? It's all raised beds, right?

I am going to rip up all plastic border materials and toss them into trash.
I will go with natural borders using a half moon spade.

Wow, is that the same as a Crescent Moon Spade? Is this for gardening or
varmints?

I got a book on
making ones own concrete garden ornaments and hypertufas.

Is that "Creative Concrete Ornaments for the Garden: Making Pots,
Planters, Birdbaths, Sculpture & More by Sherrie Warner Hunter"?
http://www.amazon.com/Creative-Concr...irdbaths/dp/15
79905854/ref=sr_1_2?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1302546411&sr=1-2

My intentions is
making my own custom made patio blocks for pathways ( this is an experiment
and short lived since money is tight this year ).

Next month Bessy will have her calf and I will learn all about making my
own cheese, yogurt and ice cream. Cheese making equipment is not cheap, I
hope it is not a wallet breaker.

What? Is that because it is stainless steel or porcelain?
What do you do if Bessy's baby is a bull? Any pot roasts in your future?

The way food prices are now with high gas
prices, I may be in good shape for the coming years.

I will continue my personal studies on mathematics and get some books on
computer modeling techniques.

What branch of mathematics?

This is how I am planning my summer.

Don't forget to go swimin', and smell the roses.

"I guess a good gardener always starts as a good weeder."
- Amos Pettingill, clergyman, 1780 - 1830
--
- Billy
Every gun that is made, every warship launched, every rocket fired signifies in the final sense, a theft from those who hunger and are not fed, those who are cold and are not clothed. This world in arms is not spending money alone. It is spending the sweat of its laborers, the genius of its scientists, the hopes of its children. This is not a way of life at all in any true sense. Under the clouds of war, it is humanity hanging on a cross of iron.

Old 11-04-2011, 09:55 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible

Billy wrote:

How big is your gardening area? It's all raised beds, right?

Three areas for veggies, the fenced in area is about 50x50 feet for
canning, there are no raised beds here good soil. Another area is about
150x75 feet unfenced for corn and extra canning foods, six 4x24 raised beds
in this area. Soil is mostly clay and in bad shape here but getting better.
A kitchen garden box close to my back deck is about 4x12 feet is the salad
garden box. In the back fields about two acres of dent corn and three apple
trees.

Wow, is that the same as a Crescent Moon Spade? Is this for gardening or
varmints?

For gardening to create natural boards between the flower beds and the
lawn. unless I am missing something here about varmints? It is a half
circle cutting/trench tool for landscaping.

I got a book on
making ones own concrete garden ornaments and hypertufas.

Is that "Creative Concrete Ornaments for the Garden: Making Pots,
Planters, Birdbaths, Sculpture & More by Sherrie Warner Hunter"?
http://www.amazon.com/Creative-Concr...irdbaths/dp/15
79905854/ref=sr_1_2?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1302546411&sr=1-2

Yep that is the book. Do have that book also? I have not yet made anything
from it yet. Does the formulas work? I wonder if the concrete holds up
during the cold winters? I wonder if I would be wasting my time and money
on this.

What? Is that because it is stainless steel or porcelain?

I am lost here?

What do you do if Bessy's baby is a bull? Any pot roasts in your future?

Then it would become a steer.

Don't forget to go swimin', and smell the roses.

I am too fat and ugly to be seen in bathing suit and I hate roses

Old 11-04-2011, 10:33 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Monk's_spade a.k.a. Crescent Moon Spade.

I got a book on
making ones own concrete garden ornaments and hypertufas.

Is that "Creative Concrete Ornaments for the Garden: Making Pots,
Planters, Birdbaths, Sculpture & More by Sherrie Warner Hunter"?
http://www.amazon.com/Creative-Concr...irdbaths/dp/15
79905854/ref=sr_1_2?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1302546411&sr=1-2

Yep that is the book. Do have that book also?

I looked at it too briefly, because I am up to my neck in political
stuff. I'll get back to it, when I've ploughed through my present
reading list.

And then there a

Making Bentwood Trellises, Arbors, Gates & Fences (Rustic Home Series)
(Paperback)
by Jim Long
http://www.amazon.com/Making-Bentwoo...es/dp/15801705
1X/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1272814682&sr=1-1

The Australian Decks and Pergolas Construction Manual 2nd Edition
(Paperback)
by Allan Staines
http://www.amazon.com/Australian-Dec...n-Manual/dp/18
7521710X/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1247443124&sr=1-1

I found the first one in the local library, which doesn't have the
second one. In "Making Bentwood Trellises", I copied the directions for
making a trellis, but haven't actualized it yet.
I have not yet made anything
from it yet. Does the formulas work? I wonder if the concrete holds up
during the cold winters? I wonder if I would be wasting my time and money
on this.

What? Is that because it is stainless steel or porcelain?

I am lost here?

You were writing about the cost of cheese making equipment devouring
your wallet.

What do you do if Bessy's baby is a bull? Any pot roasts in your future?

Then it would become a steer.

Don't forget to go swimin', and smell the roses.

I am too fat and ugly to be seen in bathing suit and I hate roses

Hey, everybody has to look like something. My old Tae Kwon Do instructor
looked like a bowling ball, and could do one arm cartwheels. Intercourse
them, if they can't take a joke ;O))

Old 11-04-2011, 11:16 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible

Wildbilly un-binned wrote:
In article ,
Nad R wrote:

For gardening to create natural boards between the flower beds and the
lawn. unless I am missing something here about varmints? It is a half
circle cutting/trench tool for landscaping.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Monk's_spade a.k.a. Crescent Moon Spade.

I stand corrected, half moon "edger" for the flower beds around the house.

I looked at it too briefly, because I am up to my neck in political
stuff. I'll get back to it, when I've ploughed through my present
reading list.

And then there a

Making Bentwood Trellises, Arbors, Gates & Fences (Rustic Home Series)
(Paperback)
by Jim Long
http://www.amazon.com/Making-Bentwoo...es/dp/15801705
1X/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1272814682&sr=1-1

The Australian Decks and Pergolas Construction Manual 2nd Edition
(Paperback)
by Allan Staines
http://www.amazon.com/Australian-Dec...n-Manual/dp/18
7521710X/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1247443124&sr=1-1

Another soul like me addicted to books, I feel your pain.

What? Is that because it is stainless steel or porcelain?

I am lost here?

You were writing about the cost of cheese making equipment devouring
your wallet.

Yes, stainless steel everything from milk containers, cheese presses.
Double boilers, home pasteurizer and modified small refrigerator. That is
going to one massive learning curve. Perhaps a yogurt machine and ice-cream
maker later.

Don't forget to go swimin', and smell the roses.

I am too fat and ugly to be seen in bathing suit and I hate roses

Hey, everybody has to look like something. My old Tae Kwon Do instructor
looked like a bowling ball, and could do one arm cartwheels. Intercourse
them, if they can't take a joke ;O))

This is a very small world, my instructor was sixty when I took lessons at
thirty and he could easily kick my ass. I was stronger but he was faster.
Today I just know enough to get my self into trouble.