Old 07-07-2011, 01:28 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible

Default beetroot

Billy wrote:

Pixels are
really limited, ya know? You're making me look like a cranky old man.
Say what you like. I am not old.

Now I'm really, really puzzled: Where did I say anything about your age,
or impute a heightened level of A(crank)? I've been well aware of the
limitations of cyberspace, ever since the first BBS programs ran on a
dial-in line on a Commodore 64, and it hasn't gotten any better.
As for the Beta name game, I am not a botanist, nor do I play one on TV.
You now seem to have chard as a sub species, which is getting close to
"variety" or "landrace." I notice that even the scientific types who
determine these things keep changing their minds, much to the dismay of
nursery folk.
I'm sure the "blocking the view" bit is a reference missing from my
archives; not to worry, the biggest hat I have is a cloth fisherman's
hat-think Walter Matthau.
I gotta go plant something....leaving for the SSE campout next week, and
I'm way behind as usual.

Old 07-07-2011, 05:11 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible

In article ,
Gary Woods wrote:

Billy wrote:

[...]

Is that the Society for Sensible Explanations, or Seed Saver's Exchange?
Bring back a doggie bag of knowledge in any event.

- Billy

Mad dog Republicans to the right. Democratic spider webs to the left. True conservatives, and liberals not to be found anywhere in the phantasmagoria
of the American political landscape.

America is not broke. The country is awash in wealth and cash.
It's just that it's not in your hands. It has been transferred, in the
greatest heist in history, from the workers and consumers to the banks
and the portfolios of the uber-rich.
http://www.politifact.com/wisconsin/.../michael-moore
/michael-moore-says-400-americans-have-more-wealth-/
Old 07-07-2011, 05:12 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible

In article ,
"David Hare-Scott" wrote:

Billy wrote:
In article ,
Gary Woods wrote:

Billy wrote:

Now go away, you're blocking the view.

A little harsh, eh?

You've never eaten beet leaves? Taste a lot like chard?

Oh, well, I'm going....

Gary Woods AKA K2AHC- PGP key on request, or at
home.earthlink.net/~garygarlic Zone 5/4 in upstate New York, 1420'
elevation. NY WO G

I would have sworn that David would come out to play. (shrug)

Again? I served.

Huh? It must have been the wrong table.

Old 07-07-2011, 07:37 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible

Billy wrote:

Is that the Society for Sensible Explanations, or Seed Saver's Exchange?

The latter; it's a 3-day road trip from here, with visits, sightseeing,
etc. on the way.

Bring back a doggie bag of knowledge in any event.

Suzanne Ashworth is speaking, and I'll get the newest edition of "Seed to
Seed" autographed, and possibly kiss her ring, or approach on my knees or
something. Most-used book on the shelf here.
Last year, quite by chance, I met Rob Johnston.

There will be lots of pictures!

Old 07-07-2011, 08:34 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible

In article ,
Gary Woods wrote:

Billy wrote:

Is that the Society for Sensible Explanations, or Seed Saver's Exchange?

The latter; it's a 3-day road trip from here, with visits, sightseeing,
etc. on the way.

Do you go by Cleveland, or Toronto?

No electricity for campers. I hope they have hot showers.

Old 08-07-2011, 03:06 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible

"Gary Woods" wrote in message
Billy wrote:

Is that the Society for Sensible Explanations, or Seed Saver's Exchange?

The latter; it's a 3-day road trip from here, with visits, sightseeing,
etc. on the way.

Bring back a doggie bag of knowledge in any event.

Suzanne Ashworth is speaking, and I'll get the newest edition of "Seed to
Seed" autographed, and possibly kiss her ring, or approach on my knees or
something. Most-used book on the shelf here.

Enjoy. But I'm not an admirer as it's a book that irritates me. If I need
information of seed saving, I prefer to use "The Seed Savers Handbook" by
Michel and Jude Fanton.

Old 08-07-2011, 03:50 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible

"FarmI" ask@itshall be given wrote:

Enjoy. But I'm not an admirer as it's a book that irritates me.

Discuss? I'm always looking for good sources of information.
As I get older, I realize I know less and less.

Old 09-07-2011, 06:21 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible

"Gary Woods" wrote in message
"FarmI" ask@itshall be given wrote:

Enjoy. But I'm not an admirer as it's a book that irritates me.

Discuss? I'm always looking for good sources of information.
As I get older, I realize I know less and less.

My irritation probably stems more from the style and author assumption than
anything. When I'm looking for info on seed saving, I've usually in a hurry
and 'Seed to Seed' drones on and on and takes too long to get to the point
and there seems to be an underlying assumption that the reader knows nothing
and needs to be told in with extreme due care because they are a bit dim.
TMWOT, it's more a book for bedtime and/or armchair gardening reading when
one likes to ponder and mull rather than actually do anything.

Beetroot Nitro® United Kingdom 2 28-05-2007 12:55 PM
Advice please about radish and beetroot scallyally Edible Gardening 0 22-05-2007 11:53 AM
Beetroot tops The Reids United Kingdom 9 26-08-2004 10:37 AM
Beetroot Darkginger United Kingdom 5 08-07-2003 11:41 PM
Beetroot farmerbrown.fsnet.co.uk@fs United Kingdom 1 26-02-2003 05:39 AM