Old 19-07-2011, 09:52 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible

Default ping Nad R & Billy

songbird wrote:

being a techie and interested in AI i've
always liked any books that are about how
computers/robots try to take over the world
or are misunderstood. and first contact
stories too. i had a nice collection of
these kinds along with the cyberpunk
authors, but then sold them all off.

Then you will love "Rainbows End by Vernor Vinge".

Old 19-07-2011, 02:37 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible

Nad R wrote:
songbird wrote:

being a techie and interested in AI i've
always liked any books that are about how
computers/robots try to take over the world
or are misunderstood. and first contact
stories too. i had a nice collection of
these kinds along with the cyberpunk
authors, but then sold them all off.

Then you will love "Rainbows End by Vernor Vinge".

i think i've read it, but i will double
check next time i get a chance.

songbird
Old 19-07-2011, 09:11 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible

In article ,
songbird wrote:

Nad R wrote:
songbird wrote:

being a techie and interested in AI i've
always liked any books that are about how
computers/robots try to take over the world
or are misunderstood. and first contact
stories too. i had a nice collection of
these kinds along with the cyberpunk
authors, but then sold them all off.

Then you will love "Rainbows End by Vernor Vinge".

i think i've read it, but i will double
check next time i get a chance.

songbird

I like this series.

Lord Foul's Bane (The Chronicles of Thomas Covenant the Unbeliever, Book
1)

12 books in all or at least 9. Not Sci-fi but fantasy. I have a hard
time distinguishing the two labels.

"Tell them at Riverstone that there is no help for the land."

--
Bill S. Jersey USA zone 5 shade garden

http://honest-food.net/

Old 19-07-2011, 09:35 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible

Bill who putters wrote:

12 books in all or at least 9. Not Sci-fi but fantasy. I have a hard
time distinguishing the two labels.

For the most part it goes like this:

Science Fiction tends to deal in the future. Fantasy tends to deal in the
past.
Science Fiction tends to have the hero solving a technical or social
problem. Fantasy tends to have the hero on a quest of some kind.

I do not read that many books in the fantasy arena. "American Gods by Neil
Gaiman" and last book I read from fantasy was book one of three, (2&3) not
out yet, was "The Left Hand of God by Paul Hoffman". I tend to avoid
authors that have a series of them if know before hand. So I will wait for
Mr Hoffman to release the last two novels, however, Hoffman's writing do
flow well, it was a good read".

Old 20-07-2011, 07:17 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible

"Bill who putters" wrote in message
I like this series.

Lord Foul's Bane (The Chronicles of Thomas Covenant the Unbeliever, Book

I know I've read at least one of them, but I'm darned if I can remember
anythign about them/it. Were they vaguely Medieval?

Old 20-07-2011, 09:48 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible

In article ,
"FarmI" ask@itshall be given wrote:

"Bill who putters" wrote in message
I like this series.

Lord Foul's Bane (The Chronicles of Thomas Covenant the Unbeliever, Book

I know I've read at least one of them, but I'm darned if I can remember
anythign about them/it. Were they vaguely Medieval?

Present day alternate universe.

--
Bill S. Jersey USA zone 5 shade garden

http://honest-food.net/

ping Nad R David Hare-Scott[_2_] Gardening 1 01-03-2011 11:09 AM
Ping Chuck, Billy et al (cider stupidity & cooking sherry) George[_14_] Gardening 31 25-03-2010 05:02 AM
Ping Billy FarmI Edible Gardening 3 24-08-2008 05:34 AM
Ping Billy The Water cure 1902 Bill[_13_] Gardening 16 24-02-2008 06:54 PM
Ping Charlie and Billy William Wagner[_2_] Gardening 10 27-10-2007 06:28 AM