Old 18-07-2011, 04:47 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible

Default ping Nad R & Billy

Nad - I've been reading a book from the "River Cottage Handbook" series and
thought you might be interested since you too seem to be interested in bread
baking. I'm going to buy a copy when I can figure out how to buy the one
that was for the UK audience not the US, but the one I am reading is
specifically for the US market.

Billy - you may be interested in this because of a brief mention of the
introduction of the 'Chorleywood bread process' whihc is worth reading aoubt
if you care about what you eat.

Daniel Stevens is the author - the US version of the has 2 loaves being
turned out of bread proving baskets, whereas the UK version just has a pile
of loaves on the cover:
http://www.randomhouse.com/book/2008...daniel-stevens

Old 18-07-2011, 06:25 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible

In article ,
"FarmI" ask@itshall be given wrote:

Nad - I've been reading a book from the "River Cottage Handbook" series and
thought you might be interested since you too seem to be interested in bread
baking. I'm going to buy a copy when I can figure out how to buy the one
that was for the UK audience not the US, but the one I am reading is
specifically for the US market.

Billy - you may be interested in this because of a brief mention of the
introduction of the 'Chorleywood bread process' whihc is worth reading aoubt
if you care about what you eat.

Daniel Stevens is the author - the US version of the has 2 loaves being
turned out of bread proving baskets, whereas the UK version just has a pile
of loaves on the cover:
http://www.randomhouse.com/book/2008...andbook-by-dan
iel-stevens

Ordered from the library.

What's the difference between the British and the American books?

Apparently, Donna Leon's books have been printed in every language,
except Italian, the language used where she lives.

There is also a video series about Venetian Commissario Guido Brunetti,
in German, "avec sous titres".
--
- Billy
America is not broke. The country is awash in wealth and cash.

You put Lloyd Blankfein in pound-me-in-the-ass prison for one six-month term, and all this bullshit would stop, all over Wall Street. That's all it would take. Just once.
Old 18-07-2011, 11:33 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible

Billy wrote:
[...]

Seems that they are a series of "River Cottage" books on the country life,
similar to the "Storey's Country Living" series that are popular here in
the US. The book does look interesting, like Peter Rienhart's books on
bread making does not completely dismiss the use of Mixer Machines but
teaches not use that much. What I not going build is a brick oven. But they
are clay cloche for oven use that I have not tried to use.

I do have to count my pennies these days and I have bread books already. I
did put the book in my wish list. The series of books looks very
interesting.

I do have my sourdough starters going now that the temperatures are warm
enough to grow them. I do not keep the temperature high enough during the
winter for the starters. Fresh bread oder that fill the house is a pleasant
thing that allot people are missing out on.

Badly needed rain is coming. It has not rained much here last three weeks,
my rain barrels are empty. Watering with the well for most of garden. First
too much rain and now too little. The well water is not the best for my
plants.

Like other usenets, postings are way down across the boards. People moving
to FaceBook forums from I have read... Something I will probably not do

Old 18-07-2011, 11:38 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible

"Billy" wrote in message
[...]

In the US version I'm reading, it's full of lbs and ozs. I've spent decades
converting to metric so don't want to go there again when I buy my own copy.
There are a raft of books put out under the River Cottage banner and one of
the others I also have on library loan, called 'The River Cottage Cookbook'
has several pages of other specific USian stuff of various interest or
otherwise. Stuff like how low the poundage of lamb eaten in the US in a
year (1LB/person/year which astonished me) and lots about what organic means
(or doesn't) in certain US juridictions, how certain stock are reared etc -
the author is a commited carnivore but also a power veg grower. I've
borrowed a whole lot of these River Cottage books to see if I'd like to own
them and I want the whole lot.

Apparently, Donna Leon's books have been printed in every language,
except Italian, the language used where she lives.

Yep, I knew that.

There is also a video series about Venetian Commissario Guido Brunetti,
in German, "avec sous titres".

That would be about as useful as boobs on a budgerigar TMWOT.

Have you read Patrick O'Brian's Aubrey/Maturin series? If not, I strongly
recommend all 20 and a half books in the series (or is that 21 and half
books??). Best author I have ever had the pleasure to read.

Old 18-07-2011, 11:53 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible

"Nad R" wrote in message
Billy wrote:
[...]

What about borrowing them from a library? I have done that to see if I want
to own them and I've decided that I will (and I need yet more cookbooks/how
to books like I need another few holes in my head).

Peter Reinhart has a comment on the back of the bread book and he says:
"This book is not only beautiful and inspiring but it also adds new
bread-making ideas and formulas to the lexicon. It definitely goes on my
'must-have' bread shelf."

I do have my sourdough starters going now that the temperatures are warm
enough to grow them. I do not keep the temperature high enough during the
winter for the starters.

My house is as cold as a step-mother's breath in winter (right now) but I'm
still trying to get a sourdough started as a result of being inspired by
this book. I have the batter sitting on a cake cooling rack on the top of
our wood burnign kichen range which tends to stay warm all night even if it
sometimes goes out if we go to bed too ealry or dont' get up early enough.

Fresh bread oder that fill the house is a pleasant
thing that allot people are missing out on.

It sure is. I made 2 loaves today, by hand. I gave my bread machine away
years ago becaseu i was not impressed with the product from it and have made
bread by hand ever since. We've made to occasional foray into bought bread
but our our latest baker has got new staff and his bread has gone from
sublime to boring - back to my loaves again.

Badly needed rain is coming. It has not rained much here last three weeks,
my rain barrels are empty.

Gee,a whole 3 weeks. I wish I got rain so frequently ;-))

Watering with the well for most of garden. First
too much rain and now too little. The well water is not the best for my
plants.

Like other usenets, postings are way down across the boards. People moving
to FaceBook forums from I have read... Something I will probably not do

No, I won't me either. I mightt use online forums, but I doubt that I'll
even bother with those once usenet finally dies.

BTW, the preserving book by pam Corbin, looks especially good - I am going
to make that the very first one of the lot that I buy.

Old 18-07-2011, 05:26 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible

"Billy" wrote in message
"FarmI" ask@itshall be given wrote:

I've been reading a book from the "River Cottage Handbook"

snip

Billy - you may be interested in this because of a brief mention of the
introduction of the 'Chorleywood bread process' whihc is worth reading
aoubt
if you care about what you eat.

I've been low-carbing. Trying to keep my blood sugar down but last night
I cracked, and we had our first pasta primavera (été) of the season. God
it was good. Whole wheat pasta, tomatoes, sweet peppers, scallions,
basil, garlic, & lemon zest with olive oil as the sauce, accompanied
with a side order of sautéed zucchini. The basil, peppers, and zucchini
where from the garden. Good stuff, and will only get gooder as the
garden progresses.

http://www.randomhouse.com/book/2008...d-handbook-by-
dan
iel-stevens

Ordered from the library.

What's the difference between the British and the American books?

In the US version I'm reading, it's full of lbs and ozs. I've spent decades
converting to metric so don't want to go there again when I buy my own copy.

Does that mean, units aside, that you cook more with weight (mass) as
opposed to volume (tablespoons, cups)?
There are a raft of books put out under the River Cottage banner and one of
the others I also have on library loan, called 'The River Cottage Cookbook'
has several pages of other specific USian stuff of various interest or
otherwise. Stuff like how low the poundage of lamb eaten in the US in a
year (1LB/person/year which astonished me)

Likewise, I've never gotten used to the flavor of lamb. The best I've
had came with a strong soy sauce glaze. It covered the flavor. But I'm
no gourmet, I don't like the taste of salmon either.
and lots about what organic means
(or doesn't) in certain US juridictions, how certain stock are reared etc -
the author is a commited carnivore but also a power veg grower. I've
borrowed a whole lot of these River Cottage books to see if I'd like to own
them and I want the whole lot.

Apparently, Donna Leon's books have been printed in every language,
except Italian, the language used where she lives.

Yep, I knew that.

There is also a video series about Venetian Commissario Guido Brunetti,
in German, "avec sous titres".

That would be about as useful as boobs on a budgerigar TMWOT.

Careful, "boobs" hold an exalted and sacred position in my pantheon of
desires. You, the proud owner of a pair, my not share my fascination

Have you read Patrick O'Brian's Aubrey/Maturin series? If not, I strongly
recommend all 20 and a half books in the series (or is that 21 and half
books??). Best author I have ever had the pleasure to read.

The New York Times book list seems to like him too.

Master and Commander requested from our library (and from Netflix).

I enjoy the cinema, but it is my "Lovey-poo" who enjoys reading the
"who-done-it"s. I read little fiction, and often that is junk sci-fi.
(It keeps my eyes moving, but I don't have to think about it much.) When
I'm not reading who-why-what-when-and-where documentary kinds of things,
I find solace from a series on haiku by R.H. Blyth
http://www.ralphmag.org/haikuP.html

Thanks again for the tips, and advice. When it comes to literature I am
a stranger in a strange land.

Old 18-07-2011, 07:38 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible

Billy wrote:
In article ,
"FarmI" ask@itshall be given wrote:

What's the difference between the British and the American books?

In the US version I'm reading, it's full of lbs and ozs. I've spent decades
converting to metric so don't want to go there again when I buy my own copy.

Does that mean, units aside, that you cook more with weight (mass) as
opposed to volume (tablespoons, cups)?

The newer books from Peter Reinhart shows both Imperial and Metric measures
for bread making Ingredients. So conversions should not be a problem. I
have a small digital kitchen scale that does the conversions for me if
needed. The larger measuring bowls also have both systems etched into the
glass. And I have two sets of measuring cups in Imperial and Metric for
volume measures. So going back and forth these days should not be much of a
concern.

http://www.amazon.com/OXO-Grips-Stai...1013789&sr=1-4

http://www.amazon.com/Peter-Reinhart...d_bxgy_b_img_c

I spent one hour outside today weeding and I could feel my skin cooking...
96 Fahrenheit. Staying indoors and Hoping for a popup storm to cool things
off. Why did I not plant okra this year

Old 18-07-2011, 09:24 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible

Billy wrote:
Farm1 wrote:

Have you read Patrick O'Brian's Aubrey/Maturin series? If not, I strongly
recommend all 20 and a half books in the series (or is that 21 and half
books??). Best author I have ever had the pleasure to read.

The New York Times book list seems to like him too.

Master and Commander requested from our library (and from Netflix).

the movie is not much at all like the
books. if you won't read them you are
missing the boat (so to speak).

Thanks again for the tips, and advice. When it comes to literature I am
a stranger in a strange land.

for science fiction that does get
you wondering again try Alastair Reynolds
(almost everything he's written i have
enjoyed).

songbird
Old 18-07-2011, 10:08 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible

In article ,
songbird wrote:

Billy wrote:
Farm1 wrote:

Have you read Patrick O'Brian's Aubrey/Maturin series? If not, I strongly
recommend all 20 and a half books in the series (or is that 21 and half
books??). Best author I have ever had the pleasure to read.

The New York Times book list seems to like him too.

Master and Commander requested from our library (and from Netflix).

the movie is not much at all like the
books. if you won't read them you are
missing the boat (so to speak).

They are for my Lovey-poo, if she is happy, it will make me happier than
all the boats in the world.

Thanks again for the tips, and advice. When it comes to literature I am
a stranger in a strange land.

for science fiction that does get
you wondering again try Alastair Reynolds
(almost everything he's written i have
enjoyed).

Noted for the next time I wander away from my pile of unread books.

Thanks

songbird

Old 18-07-2011, 10:19 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible

songbird wrote:
Billy wrote:
Thanks again for the tips, and advice. When it comes to literature I am
a stranger in a strange land.

for science fiction that does get
you wondering again try Alastair Reynolds
(almost everything he's written i have
enjoyed).

songbird

I have read around twenty of Robert Heilen's books. Stranger in a Strange
Land is an excellent read. I have read well over four hundred science
fiction books.

However, after looking at my collect, I have not read one book by Alaster
Reynolds. The author will soon be on my purchase list. My current read is
"www: wonder by Robert J. Sawyer" it is a blah read second book of three.
Before that a couple of Jack McDevitt books was ok not bad. The last
excellent read was "The Windup Girl by Paoplo Bacigalupi". Next up would
have to be "Rainbows End by Vernor Vinge", I have not been disappointed by
any of Vinges books.

But soon to have Alaster Reynolds part of my collection.

A little shower outside right now... It is not much, perhaps a bucket in
each of my rain barrels. But better than nothing. First rain here in two
weeks, past storms kept on missing me.

Old 19-07-2011, 02:30 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible

In article ,
Nad R wrote:

Paoplo Bacigalupi seems to have a number of well recieved books.

Old 19-07-2011, 03:04 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible

Billy wrote:
In article ,
Nad R wrote:

Paoplo Bacigalupi seems to have a number of well recieved books.

I never got impression that you liked Science Fiction?
But that novel does have some future ideas of how Genetically Engineered
foods may effect the far far future.

Old 19-07-2011, 06:46 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible

Nad R wrote:
songbird wrote:
Billy wrote:
Thanks again for the tips, and advice. When it comes to literature I am
a stranger in a strange land.

for science fiction that does get
you wondering again try Alastair Reynolds
(almost everything he's written i have
enjoyed).

I have read around twenty of Robert Heilen's books. Stranger in a Strange
Land is an excellent read. I have read well over four hundred science
fiction books.

i couldn't guess how many i've read.
probably in the thousands. i used to
read several science fiction books a week
along with the other reading i would do.
when i went to the library i would come
home with one or two old fashioned paper
bags full of books... i'm pretty sure that
Piers Anthony, Orson Scott Card and Asimov
have several hundred books between them,
add Clarke, Webber, Dickson, Heinlein,
Saberhagen, Herbert (and now son), Jordan,
Kurtz, Lackey, Pohl, Forward, Sterling,

my collection was mostly sold off when
i moved from up north. i was very close
to moving across country and didn't want
to haul all of those boxes with me.

However, after looking at my collect, I have not read one book by Alaster
Reynolds. The author will soon be on my purchase list. My current read is
"www: wonder by Robert J. Sawyer" it is a blah read second book of three.

i've not really liked much of his writing --
sadly as the topics are interesting. i've
enjoyed McDevitts work much more so.

Before that a couple of Jack McDevitt books was ok not bad. The last
excellent read was "The Windup Girl by Paoplo Bacigalupi". Next up would
have to be "Rainbows End by Vernor Vinge", I have not been disappointed by
any of Vinges books.

yes, True Names, the Fire Upon the Deep, and a Deepness in
the Sky are worth the reads.

being a techie and interested in AI i've
always liked any books that are about how
computers/robots try to take over the world
or are misunderstood. and first contact
stories too. i had a nice collection of
these kinds along with the cyberpunk
authors, but then sold them all off.

But soon to have Alaster Reynolds part of my collection.

i would skip his most recent short
work. as that was perhaps the weakest
of the lot.

A little shower outside right now... It is not much, perhaps a bucket in
each of my rain barrels. But better than nothing. First rain here in two
weeks, past storms kept on missing me.

just a short bit of rain here too.
storms usually weaken or split when
they get to us as this is the valley.
today was no exception. north of us
had a good bit of rain.

songbird
Old 19-07-2011, 09:52 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible

songbird wrote:

being a techie and interested in AI i've
always liked any books that are about how
computers/robots try to take over the world
or are misunderstood. and first contact
stories too. i had a nice collection of
these kinds along with the cyberpunk
authors, but then sold them all off.

Then you will love "Rainbows End by Vernor Vinge".

Old 19-07-2011, 01:18 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible

"Billy" wrote in message news:Wildbilly- "FarmI"
ask@itshall be given wrote:

I've been low-carbing.

Pffff!!! I'm no fan of such a thing. I believe we have a mix of food
available to us and that we shoudl partake. The only 'evidence' I've seen
relating to low-carb looks quite like quackerie TMWOT.

Trying to keep my blood sugar down but last night
I cracked, and we had our first pasta primavera (été) of the season. God
it was good. Whole wheat pasta, tomatoes, sweet peppers, scallions,
basil, garlic, & lemon zest with olive oil as the sauce, accompanied
with a side order of sautéed zucchini. The basil, peppers, and zucchini
where from the garden. Good stuff, and will only get gooder as the
garden progresses.

Atta boy! That's good food.

otherwise. Stuff like how low the poundage of lamb eaten in the US in a
year (1LB/person/year which astonished me)

Likewise, I've never gotten used to the flavor of lamb. The best I've
had came with a strong soy sauce glaze. It covered the flavor. But I'm
no gourmet, I don't like the taste of salmon either.

I love a good lamb cutlet. TMWOT, it's straight from the culinary Gods. It
makes a good steak pale into insignificance IMO. But more lamb for me if
you don't like it :-))

That would be about as useful as boobs on a budgerigar TMWOT.

Careful, "boobs" hold an exalted and sacred position in my pantheon of
desires. You, the proud owner of a pair, my not share my fascination

Absolutely not. Useless things once their biological function is done
with - need medical tests that cost money or otherwise they can just
possibly go cancerous and kill one.

Have you read Patrick O'Brian's Aubrey/Maturin series? If not, I
strongly
recommend all 20 and a half books in the series (or is that 21 and half
books??). Best author I have ever had the pleasure to read.

The New York Times book list seems to like him too.

Master and Commander requested from our library (and from Netflix).

I do warn of a possible serius addiction resulting. I have no interest
whatsoever in the British navy, the Napoleonic wars, The war againt the US
in about 1812(???) or any of the other subject matter in these books but I
was hooked from about p50. Wonderful English prose - pity I can't find
someone else who writes as well.

joy the cinema, but it is my "Lovey-poo" who enjoys reading the
"who-done-it"s. I read little fiction, and often that is junk sci-fi.

Good sci-fi is well worth the effort but junk s-f gives me the irrits. I've
just read Terry Nation's "The survivors" and although a simple little book,
it was a blast from the long distant past and enormously satisfying.

(It keeps my eyes moving, but I don't have to think about it much.) When
I'm not reading who-why-what-when-and-where documentary kinds of things,
I find solace from a series on haiku by R.H. Blyth
http://www.ralphmag.org/haikuP.html

V. nice. I do like Japanese verse about platns and gardens - can never
rember the exact words but wonderful nevertheless. One fave is; 'the
morning glory twines around the well bucket, so I lack water'.

Thanks again for the tips, and advice. When it comes to literature I am
a stranger in a strange land.

All literature is probably strange in it's own way :-))

ping Nad R David Hare-Scott[_2_] Gardening 1 01-03-2011 11:09 AM
Ping Chuck, Billy et al (cider stupidity & cooking sherry) George[_14_] Gardening 31 25-03-2010 05:02 AM
Ping Billy FarmI Edible Gardening 3 24-08-2008 05:34 AM
Ping Billy The Water cure 1902 Bill[_13_] Gardening 16 24-02-2008 06:54 PM
Ping Charlie and Billy William Wagner[_2_] Gardening 10 27-10-2007 06:28 AM