Old 30-09-2011, 04:07 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible

Default Corn silk

Does anyone here eat corn silk? I love it. It is so sweet. I like it
better than alfalfa, and if you're going to toss it, keep me a nice serving.

Steve

Old 30-09-2011, 04:25 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible

Steve B wrote:
Does anyone here eat corn silk? I love it. It is so sweet. I like
it better than alfalfa, and if you're going to toss it, keep me a
nice serving.

Steve

Apparently it can also be smoked. Never tried it. Any takers?

David

Old 30-09-2011, 05:57 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible

Steve B wrote:

Does anyone here eat corn silk? I love it. It is so sweet. I like it
better than alfalfa, and if you're going to toss it, keep me a nice serving.

yes, since i microwave the corn in the husk
without peeling it that leaves the silk inside.
it tastes as good as the corn does. i do not
eat the brown dried stuff on the ends, just
the green strands along the ear.

i cut the end with the dried stuff off,
peel back the husks and use them as a handle
when eating.

songbird
Old 01-10-2011, 12:09 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible

On Sep 29, 8:25*pm, "David Hare-Scott" wrote:
Steve B wrote:
Does anyone here eat corn silk? *I love it. *It is so sweet. *I like
it better than alfalfa, and if you're going to toss it, keep me a
nice serving.

Steve

Apparently it can also be smoked. *Never tried it. *Any takers?

David

Common in your area, David?
Old 01-10-2011, 01:14 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible

Steve B wrote:
Does anyone here eat corn silk? I love it. It is so sweet. I like
it better than alfalfa, and if you're going to toss it, keep me a
nice serving.

Steve

Apparently it can also be smoked. Never tried it. Any takers?

David

Common in your area, David?

No, I read it was practised by native Americans. Is that right?

Old 01-10-2011, 07:40 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible

On Sep 30, 5:14*pm, "David Hare-Scott" wrote:
Gunner wrote:
On Sep 29, 8:25 pm, "David Hare-Scott" wrote:

David, its a bit overgenealized to brand it as "was practiced by
native Americans'. Many more major pharmacological herbs/plants
smoked and ingested back in the day. Yet I'm sure there are accounts
of silk being used by certain of the NA nations. Still, any use would
have only been a minor aspect in the much larger harvest rituals of
which corn was always the king of the court. Really no different in
intent than most End Of Season rituals throughout the world.

On the other hand, I believe there are mentions in the old Foxfire
book series. Lot of it smoked behind the barn back in the day, I'm
sure. Some of the Nuevo White Indians" want to claim some ancient
magic psychic holistic medicinal properties, but really there is no
secret mind altering shamanistic alkaloids. Still nothing wrong with
eating it. Lots of evidence to it being helpful in urinary tract
infections,maybe anti cancer, some demulcent properties.... , but the
Internet would tell ya that.

So come on, what was..." Never tried it. Any takers?".

Really, you want to know about smoking corn silk by NAs?

Old 01-10-2011, 11:54 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible

Gunner wrote:
[...]

Not really, just thread drifting, never mind.

Old 01-10-2011, 11:56 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible

Steve B wrote:
Does anyone here eat corn silk? I love it. It is so sweet. I like
it better than alfalfa, and if you're going to toss it, keep me a
nice serving.

Steve

Apparently it can also be smoked. Never tried it. Any takers?

David

Common in your area, David?

No, I read it was practised by native Americans. Is that right?

Don't know about that, but as a tea corn silk is a diuretic, IIRC.

Old 04-10-2011, 01:55 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible

On Sep 29, 11:07*pm, "Steve B" wrote:
Does anyone here eat corn silk? *I love it. *It is so sweet. *I like it
better than alfalfa, and if you're going to toss it, keep me a nice serving.

Steve

Newsgroups are a great way to discuss topics. In this case, the topis
is general gardening.

Old 04-10-2011, 02:28 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible

On Oct 3, 8:55*pm, steve petrous wrote:
On Sep 29, 11:07*pm, "Steve B" wrote:

Does anyone here eat corn silk? *I love it. *It is so sweet. *I like it
better than alfalfa, and if you're going to toss it, keep me a nice serving.

Steve

Newsgroups are a great way to discuss topics. In this case, the topis
is general gardening.

Glad to know someone else from my internet literacy class stumbled
across this as well.
Old 04-10-2011, 06:24 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible

On Oct 3, 9:28*pm, Jackie Olund wrote:
On Oct 3, 8:55*pm, steve petrous wrote:

On Sep 29, 11:07*pm, "Steve B" wrote:

Does anyone here eat corn silk? *I love it. *It is so sweet. *I like it
better than alfalfa, and if you're going to toss it, keep me a nice serving.

Steve

Newsgroups are a great way to discuss topics. In this case, the topis
is general gardening.

Glad to know someone else from my internet literacy class stumbled
across this as well.

Same here. I am sorry that we have interrupted your discussion with
this nonsense. It's a required assignment we have to do. Please
accept my appolgy.
Old 04-10-2011, 06:37 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible

In article
,
steve petrous wrote:

On Sep 29, 11:07*pm, "Steve B" wrote:
Does anyone here eat corn silk? *I love it. *It is so sweet. *I like it
better than alfalfa, and if you're going to toss it, keep me a nice serving.

Steve

Newsgroups are a great way to discuss topics. In this case, the topis
is general gardening.

Steve,
**** off, please. You are an idiot ;O)
--
- Billy
Both the House and Senate budget plan would have cut Social Security and Medicare, while cutting taxes on the wealthy.

Kucinich noted that none of the government programs targeted for
elimination or severe cutback in House Republican spending plans
"appeared on the GAO's list of government programs at high risk of
waste, fraud and abuse."
http://www.politifact.com/ohio/state...is-kucinich/re
p-dennis-kucinich-says-gop-budget-cuts-dont-targ/

[W]e have the situation with the deficit and the debt and spending and jobs. And itıs not that difficult to get out of it. The first thing you do is you get rid of corporate welfare. Thatıs hundreds of billions of dollars a year. The second is you tax corporations so that they donıt get away with no taxation.
- Ralph Nader
http://www.democracynow.org/2011/7/19/ralph_naders_solution_to_debt_crisis
Old 04-10-2011, 09:53 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible

wrote in message
On Oct 3, 9:28 pm, Jackie Olund wrote:
On Oct 3, 8:55 pm, steve petrous wrote:

On Sep 29, 11:07 pm, "Steve B" wrote:

Does anyone here eat corn silk? I love it. It is so sweet. I like it
better than alfalfa, and if you're going to toss it, keep me a nice
serving.

Steve

Newsgroups are a great way to discuss topics. In this case, the topis
is general gardening.

Glad to know someone else from my internet literacy class stumbled
across this as well.

Same here. I am sorry that we have interrupted your discussion with
this nonsense. It's a required assignment we have to do. Please
accept my appolgy.

For future reference there is an alt.test newsgroup where these posts would
be better aimed. AND along with internet literacy should be taught Usenet
etiquette. Finally you should also be taught to "munge" your email
addresses to avoid the plethora of spam available on the net.

Mike

Old 04-10-2011, 01:11 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible

On Sep 29, 11:07*pm, "Steve B" wrote:
Does anyone here eat corn silk? *I love it. *It is so sweet. *I like it
better than alfalfa, and if you're going to toss it, keep me a nice serving.

Steve

I do not eat corn silk. Sorry