Old 26-02-2003, 03:39 PM
DH

Default Cherries

I planted a line of Stella dwarf sweet cherry trees along my drive about two
years ago, so have not yet had the opportunity to actually *taste* a Stella
cherry! Now I am moving, and will be in a position to plant cherries yet
again.

Is the Stella a good cherry to plant? It looked good when I ordered the
first tree, since it doesn't need a pollinator, but after I got up to five
or six, it wasn't such a selling point anymore. I also liked its comparison
(similar) to a Bing, which I know I like.

Anywhere I move will be an area where I can again plant a number of trees.
Anyone have any suggestions as to species? I believe I'll be in either Zone
8 or 9.

Thanks!

Old 26-02-2003, 04:51 PM
zxcvbob

Anywhere I move will be an area where I can again plant a number of trees.
Anyone have any suggestions as to species? I believe I'll be in either Zone
8 or 9.

Peaches! Also, if you have space for berries, look up a blackberry
cultivar called "Youngberry". The thorns are fierce, but they taste
*wonderful* and are very productive.

Best regards,
Bob -- wishes he lived in zone 8 or 9 again
Old 27-02-2003, 03:51 AM
Polar

On Wed, 26 Feb 2003 07:34:23 -0800, "DH"
wrote:

I planted a line of Stella dwarf sweet cherry trees along my drive about two
years ago, so have not yet had the opportunity to actually *taste* a Stella
cherry! Now I am moving, and will be in a position to plant cherries yet
again.

Is the Stella a good cherry to plant? It looked good when I ordered the
first tree, since it doesn't need a pollinator, but after I got up to five
or six, it wasn't such a selling point anymore. I also liked its comparison
(similar) to a Bing, which I know I like.

Anywhere I move will be an area where I can again plant a number of trees.
Anyone have any suggestions as to species? I believe I'll be in either Zone
8 or 9.

Thanks!

Do you get enough winter chill for cherries?

If so, I envy you; I have to wait, with saliva running down my chin,
till the cherries come on market, late summer.

--

Zone 24/8
So. Calif Coastal

Polar

Old 27-02-2003, 05:27 AM
DH

"zxcvbob" wrote in message

Peaches! Also, if you have space for berries, look up a blackberry
cultivar called "Youngberry". The thorns are fierce, but they taste
*wonderful* and are very productive.

Oh, yes, there will be peaches. It kills me to leave my two newly planted
"babies" behind. I just planted them last year and they are starting to
blossom. :-(

I have had Marionberries. Bought one once as a plant and kept it in a
container. It still produced like mad. When I moved here, I planted it,
but I took a cutting and the cutting is growing happily in a pot, so it will
be going back with me. :-)

Old 27-02-2003, 05:40 AM
DH

When I bought the Stellas, I remember they were supposed to be okay out
here. Haven't had the chance to see any actual cherries yet. :-(

Where I'm moving, a friend of mine has a single cherry tree that produces
loads of cherries. Birds get most of them, but at least I know it is a good
area!