Old 29-06-2013, 01:43 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible

Default Progress

"Drew Lawson" wrote in message
In article
The Cook writes:

And I picked and ate 2 Yellow Jelly Bean tomatoes. They tasted so
good.

I (in Ohio) have 3 plum tomatoes that are just larger than peas.

Everything is blooming, and growing (though less than I'd like),
but early fruit does not seem to be my fate.

Maybe next year.

--
Drew Lawson

Here in the Ozarks n ctrl Ar/1500 ft elevation we have jalapenos as big
as my thumb , tomatoes on 12 of 14 plants , green beans that are about like
3" pieces of yarn , the zucchini plants have all set fruit , and pretty much
everything is doing way better than I expected .
--
Snag

Old 29-06-2013, 10:52 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible

Today I got almost 300 Roma bean seeds in the ground. They are in one
of the 6 boxes DH has replaced this year. All of the boxes are
finished but 2 still need to be filled.

And I picked and ate 2 Yellow Jelly Bean tomatoes. They tasted so
good. Don't see any more in the immediate horizon. I keep looking.
Almost all of my tomato plants have some tomatoes on them. Some the
size of my little finger nail and some Viva Italias almost up to size
to start turning color.

Tomorrow I will grind and strain rhubarb for jelly juice. I will
probably put the juice in the freezer for now. And it looks like I
need to pick more rhubarb. Maybe some of the neighbors would like
some. Got to ask. Made a rhubarb cobbler yesterday and we have had
several rhubarb custard cakes this summer.

--
USA
North Carolina Foothills
Old 29-06-2013, 11:26 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible

The Cook wrote:

Today I got almost 300 Roma bean seeds in the ground. They are in one
of the 6 boxes DH has replaced this year. All of the boxes are
finished but 2 still need to be filled.

And I picked and ate 2 Yellow Jelly Bean tomatoes. They tasted so
good. Don't see any more in the immediate horizon. I keep looking.

sounds like me when i'm out looking for peas/peapods
when they first start coming in.

Almost all of my tomato plants have some tomatoes on them. Some the
size of my little finger nail and some Viva Italias almost up to size
to start turning color.

i hope the sunshine keeps coming through for
you.

Tomorrow I will grind and strain rhubarb for jelly juice. I will
probably put the juice in the freezer for now. And it looks like I
need to pick more rhubarb. Maybe some of the neighbors would like
some. Got to ask. Made a rhubarb cobbler yesterday and we have had
several rhubarb custard cakes this summer.

when you posted before that you had 20something rhubarb
plants that gave me pause. that's a lot of rhubarb. but
now i get a glimmer of why you might want so much for if
you are grinding it and straining it...

songbird
Old 30-06-2013, 04:52 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible

In article
The Cook writes:

And I picked and ate 2 Yellow Jelly Bean tomatoes. They tasted so
good.

I (in Ohio) have 3 plum tomatoes that are just larger than peas.

Everything is blooming, and growing (though less than I'd like),
but early fruit does not seem to be my fate.

Maybe next year.

--
Drew Lawson | Savage bed foot-warmer
Old 30-06-2013, 06:47 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible

In article ,
songbird wrote:

The Cook wrote:

[...]

You want sunshine? We got sunshine. Out of the next 15 days 4 will dip
into the 80s. It was 96F on Thurs. Fri. was 100F, and today 99F is
predicted. Not only that, but it is forecast to go on like this
throughout July. It is definitely a good year for warm weather crops
here.

Five or 6 of the 17 tomatoes have green fruit the size of a marble. The
first to flower were in pots.

Looks like an interesting year, if the water holds up.
--
Remember Rachel Corrie
http://www.rachelcorrie.org/

Welcome to the New America.

Old 30-06-2013, 08:53 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible

Billy wrote:
You want sunshine? We got sunshine. Out of the next 15 days 4 will dip
into the 80s. It was 96F on Thurs. Fri. was 100F, and today 99F is
predicted. Not only that, but it is forecast to go on like this
throughout July. It is definitely a good year for warm weather crops
here.

Five or 6 of the 17 tomatoes have green fruit the size of a marble. The
first to flower were in pots.

Looks like an interesting year, if the water holds up.

hope it does! (we've had about 4" of rain the past
three days)

with those kinds of temperatures i also hope the
pollination of the tomatoes and peppers will come
through.

just be glad you don't live in Death Valley...
owies...

songbird
Old 01-07-2013, 12:12 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible

In article ,
songbird wrote:

Billy wrote:
You want sunshine? We got sunshine. Out of the next 15 days 4 will dip
into the 80s. It was 96F on Thurs. Fri. was 100F, and today 99F is
predicted. Not only that, but it is forecast to go on like this
throughout July. It is definitely a good year for warm weather crops
here.

Five or 6 of the 17 tomatoes have green fruit the size of a marble. The
first to flower were in pots.

Looks like an interesting year, if the water holds up.

hope it does! (we've had about 4" of rain the past
three days)

with those kinds of temperatures i also hope the
pollination of the tomatoes and peppers will come
through.

just be glad you don't live in Death Valley...
owies...

songbird

Death Valley was only 25F warmer than we were yesterday. I'd definitely
need to keep my hat on though. Funny how hot a straw hat can get. Last
Monday, and Tuesday we had a good rain, and now the frying pan. This is
shaping up to be the warmest of my 40 years here. The next 3 weeks are
forecasted to have 18 days over 90F, and 4 over 100F. Blessedly, the
lows will be in the 50Fs.

I'll make sure to go out every day, and pat my Solanaceae on there
little heads, so they can get done, what they gotta do. The heat makes
me a little nervous, but most of California's tomatoes are grow in the
Central Valley, and the Central Valley gets HOT!!!

Think I'll go play in the water now.
--
Remember Rachel Corrie
http://www.rachelcorrie.org/

Welcome to the New America.
Old 01-07-2013, 02:18 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible

The Cook writes:

And I picked and ate 2 Yellow Jelly Bean tomatoes. They tasted so
good.

I (in Ohio) have 3 plum tomatoes that are just larger than peas.

Everything is blooming, and growing (though less than I'd like),
but early fruit does not seem to be my fate.

Maybe next year.

--
Drew Lawson

Here in the Ozarks n ctrl Ar/1500 ft elevation we have jalapenos as big
as my thumb , tomatoes on 12 of 14 plants , green beans that are about like
3" pieces of yarn , the zucchini plants have all set fruit , and pretty much
everything is doing way better than I expected .

:O)
--
Remember Rachel Corrie
http://www.rachelcorrie.org/