Old 28-08-2013, 07:03 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible

Default I just finished

Canning 18 half-pints of jalapenos from my garden . I used a very basic
pickling recipe , 1c vinegar , 1c water 1tbsp kosher I used sea salt .
Processed them in my wife's steam canner , and increased the time 50% over
water-bath time . Last time I looked there were 11 sealed all the first
batch and 1 from the 2nd and a couple more on the cusp ... jars are still
pretty hot .
I picked 85 peppers from my 4 plants , and about half of them had gone red
.. Some I tossed from insect damage , a handful went into the freezer . Those
are destined for some salsa . The canned ones will warm up those cold winter
daze on some nachos ... and sandwiches ... and anything else I can ! It's
going to be hard to wait a couple of weeks to try these ...
--
Snag
16 of 18 ! Watched

Old 29-08-2013, 11:42 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible

Snag wrote:
[...]

that sound of plinks from canning always
makes us laugh too.

i did 13 qts of tomato chunks Tuesday and
have about another 100 lbs of tomatoes to
process in the coming week (along with many
still not picked).

we also had a good pepper harvest, Ma spent
most of yesterday making stuffed green peppers
and cinamon rolls. over 100 peppers and half
the crop still on the plants.

there's two pans in the oven of the stuffed
peppers that will be done in a bit.

right now i'm contemplating a rare cup of
coffee and a cinamon roll for breakfast. coffee
makes me too hyper so i don't usually have it
but i've been under the weather and coffee is a
good boost for the system so at least i feel like
moving.

songbird