Old 02-10-2013, 04:20 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible

Default Source of microgreens seeds?

On Wed, 18 Sep 2013 17:37:56 -0400, Rick wrote:

On Mon, 16 Sep 2013 22:30:44 -0400, S.Rodgers
wrote:

On Fri, 06 Sep 2013 09:58:00 -0400, The Cook
wrote:

On Fri, 06 Sep 2013 07:20:58 -0400, S.Rodgers
wrote:

I've been looking at seed catalogues and seed packets on sale locally
in grocery stores, etc., and have seen that prices are much too high
to grow ones own microgreens based on the price for the small seed
packets.

Does anyone know of a source in _CANADA_ (or at the very least USA) of
mixed microgreen salad green seeds sold in bulk - i.e., priced per lb
or kg), by any chance?

I'd also prefer organic seeds, too.

Thanks so much in advance!

Try Johnny's Seeds.
http://www.johnnyseeds.com/c-48-micro-greens.aspx

You can get bulk meslun here at $6 per oz- Thats enough for about 400
feet of row crop.
http://www.theonlinegreenhouse.com/m...ad-greens.html

sigh Thank you! One of the challenges is since I've always had to
be an apartment dweller is that I have little experience with how much
a certain number of seeds can produce in terms of harvest. But $34
for 1 lb of seeds seems rather more reasonable than what those little
packets cost when comparing the numbers in the yields. And it says on
the bottom of that page: "On average, 1oz of seed can produce 1500
plants." Seems quite reasonable in numbers though experience will
tell me what that really means in terms of daily harvest.

I've just emailed the company to see if they have organic mesclun
seed, too.

Thanks so much for all the help here! I know you folks are real
gardeners and people like me are just dabblers but life got very hard
3 years ago when I took a 40% pay cut. I'm growing my own sunflower
seed and pea shoot and wheatgrass sprouts with great success (though
wheatgrass I can only classify as only being fairly successful
consistently as it gives trouble g), and I am in better health now
than before even after a lifetime of indifferent health. If I can
figure out the salad angle via microgreens, I'll feel as safe as one
can in today's global economy and trends.

Thanks so much! D

I have not purchased anything from the vendor.
1/4 pound seems to be the smallest amount they sell.

Thanks, another great resource. I'm still seeing the same trend,
though. It's still shockingly expensive. But what was I to expect, I
guess ...

My local go-to place for all things gardening (despite being an
apartment-dweller) does sell small bulk amounts, too, but they're not
organic. And organic becomes an issue esp. the smaller the size of
the resulting produce. So I daren't go that route.

Well, thanks everyone. I have a lot to think about. Interesting
tangent on political and other issues, too. That was fun g.

I'll report back if I find a viable, cost-effective solution.

Cheers.

Old 02-10-2013, 04:23 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible

On Wed, 02 Oct 2013 11:09:06 -0400, S.Rodgers
wrote:

On Tue, 17 Sep 2013 13:11:58 -0500, phorbin
wrote:

In article ,
says...

I was even hoping there would be a way to find a grass-roots source
where perhaps I could barter for seeds or ... something.
Unfortunately, it always comes down the same thing. 20 years ago I
couldn't get involved with a heritage seed exchange program because I
was living then in an apartment (actually, it was smaller than my
present bachelor apartment!) so I couldn't participate in exchanging
heirloom seeds.

If you've the time, energy and will, and there is such a thing in your area,
what about taking a public allotment garden?

Thanks for that suggestion. There aren't any near me whatsoever, and
one that is far costs too much.

But back to my original question, anyone have any ideas re seeds.
I've been looking and even were I to grow a garden, the cost of those
little packets is too steep.

Hoping someone knew of a cost effective solutions for this. thx.
Heck, it's worth a try to ask the question one last time.

Got it! Thanks, Rick, for suggesting the place that has mesclun:
http://www.theonlinegreenhouse.com/m...ad-greens.html

I'm in favour of a mix rather than having to buy of each kind and that
price seems the most reasonable so far.

Will see what they say about organic seeds, too.

Cheers and thanks everyone, once again.