Old 06-09-2013, 12:20 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible

Default Source of microgreens seeds?

I've been looking at seed catalogues and seed packets on sale locally
in grocery stores, etc., and have seen that prices are much too high
to grow ones own microgreens based on the price for the small seed
packets.

Does anyone know of a source in _CANADA_ (or at the very least USA) of
mixed microgreen salad green seeds sold in bulk - i.e., priced per lb
or kg), by any chance?

I'd also prefer organic seeds, too.

Thanks so much in advance!

Old 06-09-2013, 01:01 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible

S.Rodgers wrote:
I've been looking at seed catalogues and seed packets on sale locally
in grocery stores, etc., and have seen that prices are much too high
to grow ones own microgreens based on the price for the small seed
packets.

Does anyone know of a source in _CANADA_ (or at the very least USA) of
mixed microgreen salad green seeds sold in bulk - i.e., priced per lb
or kg), by any chance?

I'd also prefer organic seeds, too.

Thanks so much in advance!

What exactly do you mean by "microgreens"?

Old 06-09-2013, 02:24 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible

David Hare-Scott wrote:
What exactly do you mean by "microgreens"?

sprouts?

songbird
Old 06-09-2013, 02:58 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible

On Fri, 06 Sep 2013 07:20:58 -0400, S.Rodgers
wrote:

I've been looking at seed catalogues and seed packets on sale locally
in grocery stores, etc., and have seen that prices are much too high
to grow ones own microgreens based on the price for the small seed
packets.

Does anyone know of a source in _CANADA_ (or at the very least USA) of
mixed microgreen salad green seeds sold in bulk - i.e., priced per lb
or kg), by any chance?

I'd also prefer organic seeds, too.

Thanks so much in advance!

Try Johnny's Seeds.
http://www.johnnyseeds.com/c-48-micro-greens.aspx

1/4 pound seems to be the smallest amount they sell.
--
USA
North Carolina Foothills
Old 06-09-2013, 10:57 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible

Derald wrote:
"David Hare-Scott" wrote:

What exactly do you mean by "microgreens"?

What do _you_ mean by "microgreens".

Nothing, nothing at all.

Old 07-09-2013, 12:30 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible

"David Hare-Scott" wrote in message
S.Rodgers wrote:
I've been looking at seed catalogues and seed packets on sale locally
in grocery stores, etc., and have seen that prices are much too high
to grow ones own microgreens based on the price for the small seed
packets.

Does anyone know of a source in _CANADA_ (or at the very least USA) of
mixed microgreen salad green seeds sold in bulk - i.e., priced per lb
or kg), by any chance?

I'd also prefer organic seeds, too.

Thanks so much in advance!

What exactly do you mean by "microgreens"?

LOL. I'm pleased to see that you aren't following the latest fad :-))

Microgreens are the latest best thing and are EVERYWHERE at the moment.
Just look around the counter area of your local nursery next time you are in
there and you'll see them. You will also have been given a packet if you
buy both of the local major gardenign mag as they've been the 'free' feature
pack on the front of one or the other within the last couple of months.

Basically cast your midn back to the 70s when it was all about sprouts in
jars festering on or under sinks in old jam jars.

Microgreens are the modern day equivalent but rather than using the old
rinse twice daily method they now say to put them in a seed raising tray in
seedling mix and cut when they get their first set of true leaves.

The 'greens' part of the name is a mesclun mix in effect.

Old 07-09-2013, 12:38 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible

"Derald" wrote in message
"David Hare-Scott" wrote:

What exactly do you mean by "microgreens"?

What do _you_ mean by "microgreens". As far as I can determine,
microgreens are a resurgent fad among foodies. I first saw them used in
the Oz version of "Masterchef". Some sources claim them to be
"specially bred" miniatures while others freely admit "microgreens" to
be seedlings with their first couple of true leaves. Regardless of
which, they sell at inflated prices to the gullible. True believers
claim enhanced nutritional properties; cynics wish the idea had been
theirs.

And then there are another group who, like me, would think that of those two
groups, one lot is silly and the other lot is greedy.

Here is a link to a brief item published by USA's propaganda
ministry:
http://www.npr.org/blogs/thesalt/2012/08/29/160274163/introducing-microgreens-younger-and-maybe-more-nutritious-vegetables
In it, you'll notice that at least 7 days' growth magically transforms
"sprouts" into "microgreens".
Some seedsmen actually sell "microgreens" seeds. Here is one
example. Prices are typical:
http://www.johnnyseeds.com/c-48-micro-greens.aspx

And here is an Oz supplier (and one that I use often as I like their seeds
and range):
http://greenharvest.com.au/Sprouting...formation.html

Old 07-09-2013, 12:46 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible

"Derald" wrote in message
news
"David Hare-Scott" wrote:

Nothing, nothing at all.

Oh; I know exactly what you mean....

LOL. Now we've sorted that out, I must get out into my veggie garden and do
a bit of a burnoff.

I have approval from the properly recognised Fire Authority to do some
controlled burning between the 6th and the 13th but first I had to inform
all neighours and have my name put on the data base.

Living in Oz with it's bushfires (wildfires in USian) is a PITA. Smoke can
be seen from such a long distance away and now that every every moron has a
mobile phone they simply MUST do their duty to report a fire. It's a shame
that common sense is so frigging uncommon these days and they never either
really look or think before they call. There are so many volunteer
firefighters who are jsut itching to cut fences and drive across paddocks in
a big fire truck. Just ask our neighbour's across the road how they know
that..............

Old 07-09-2013, 05:28 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible

S.Rodgers wrote:
[...]

Seems pointless to me.

Old 07-09-2013, 09:13 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible

S.Rodgers wrote:
[...]

Me too to a great extent. I guess if all I had in terms of space in which
to grow anything, was a tiny balcony, I might think differently.

I'd rather just grow loose leaf lettuces and other quick growers like rocket
and mustard green and perennials like sorrel and the dear old Silver beet -
love tiny silver beet leaves in a tomatoey salad with crispy bacon bits.
Love rocket too. It's near dinner so I'm beginnign to lust after food.

BTW, I hope you get the result you want out of today's election. We voted
last week as we are Silent Electors. I just wish there had been a box for
"A pox on all their Houses".

Old 07-09-2013, 09:21 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible

"Derald" wrote in message
"Farm1" wrote:

"Derald" wrote in message
. ..

True believers
claim enhanced nutritional properties; cynics wish the idea had been
theirs.

And then there are another group who, like me, would think that of those
two
groups, one lot is silly and the other lot is greedy.

Well, I clearly belong in that third group, too, although I must
confess to leaning toward "greedy cynic". I have no compunction about
taking advantage of another's self-induced silliness.

Different career choices might result in our differning approaches. I spent
nearly 30 years in 'Public Service' during the time when it was still
considered to be working for the whole of the coutnry as opposed to the
current government of the day. Sadly that has now changed and getting worse
with each succeeding government who are busy politicising the Public
Service.

After all, I made
a fair portion of my living in the movie business, for goodness' sake!

:-)) You'd hate me for the contribution I've made to the movie world's
coffers. I have seen all of perhaps 4-5 movies in a movie theatre or some
other place where these things are traditionally seen in probably 25 years.
We also have very few DVDs of movies - perhaps 4 or 5.

When I last convinced my SO to go to see a film with me (probably 16 years
ago) he was horrified that there was only one movie shown instead of the 2
movies that had been the standard the previous time he'd seen a movie
(probably 30+ years ago)

Old 08-09-2013, 12:45 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible

Derald wrote:
"Farm1" wrote:

I just wish there had been a box for "A pox on all their Houses".

I often have wished for the ability to vote _against_ candidates
or, at the very least, a "none of the above" choice.

Fran and I are in that position, I don't want to pollute the NG with party
politics but let us say things are not going well if you care anything about
the environment or the future for your grandchildren.

My SIL tries to justify casting an informal vote by saying that all the
candidates are so bad he couldn't vote for any of them. My response is that
is the time when you must vote. If all the candidates were good it doesn't
really matter too much if the second best gets in as things will plod along
anyway. When they are all bad you must ensure that the worst doesn't get in
as they might do some real damage.

The first thing our new Prime Minister will do will be to neuter any action
on climate change. And that is quite enough politics.

Old 08-09-2013, 03:47 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible

David Hare-Scott wrote:
The first thing our new Prime Minister will do will be to neuter any action
on climate change. And that is quite enough politics.

if you wait for the politicians in any country
at this point you are wasting time and probably
just looking for yet another reason to
procrastinate.

do what you can locally, find others to work
with who aren't obstructionists and pool
resources and efforts.

songbird
Old 08-09-2013, 06:25 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible

songbird wrote:
David Hare-Scott wrote:
The first thing our new Prime Minister will do will be to neuter any
action on climate change. And that is quite enough politics.

if you wait for the politicians in any country
at this point you are wasting time and probably
just looking for yet another reason to
procrastinate.

What a dopy argument. The amount that the individual can do alone is
completely trivial. Millions of people together can do something but before
you have that organised the pollies who opposed it would be out of office
anyway and the job is already done. A grass-roots movement might force
action on a government but the effect they can have instead of government
action is quite insufficient.
If you want to deal with climate change then elect a government that will
do it.

do what you can locally, find others to work
with who aren't obstructionists and pool
resources and efforts.

By all means, one has to lead by example if trying to bring about change but
don't fantasise that it will have any effect compared with (say) my local
port that exports hundreds of millions of tons of coal per year.