Old 26-03-2014, 10:43 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible

Default Spoke Too Soon

Since my last post (3/16) we have had snow on the past 2 Tuesdays. The
onions I set out survived so this past weekend I set out my lettuce
and broccoli. I haven't had a chance to look but will take inventory
later today.

I have started my herbs and tomatoes in the greenhouse. Some of the
herbs are up, if you use a magnifying glass to look. Tomatoes, not
yet.

I wonder what problems will beset us this year. Last year it rained
so much that the plants never developed deep enough roots to withstand
the dry spells. That's life on the farm or should I say in the
garden.

Hope everyone has a good growing season this year and we can all brag
about our harvests.
--
USA
North Carolina Foothills
Old 26-03-2014, 01:15 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible

On Wednesday, March 26, 2014 6:43:42 AM UTC-4, The Cook wrote:
[...]

The broccoli and cabbage I nursed through the winter in the green house was devoured by something the first night I put it in the garden. I started over, even though I think it is too late, have come up and so far are tolerating the cold. The onions are doing ok. The peas have come up but are growing slowly. I have had a terrible time getting the peppers going. They are the smallest peppers I have ever had. I have been putting them in the green house daily when the sun allows. On the other hand, the tomatoes I have had in the green house all winter are thriving and just thinking about turning. That is the kind of success that keeps us going.
MJ
Old 26-03-2014, 04:20 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible

The Cook wrote:

Since my last post (3/16) we have had snow on the past 2 Tuesdays. The
onions I set out survived so this past weekend I set out my lettuce
and broccoli. I haven't had a chance to look but will take inventory
later today.

I have started my herbs and tomatoes in the greenhouse. Some of the
herbs are up, if you use a magnifying glass to look. Tomatoes, not
yet.

I wonder what problems will beset us this year. Last year it rained
so much that the plants never developed deep enough roots to withstand
the dry spells. That's life on the farm or should I say in the
garden.

Hope everyone has a good growing season this year and we can all brag
about our harvests.

me too!

conditions here are gradually improving, much
of the snow has been melting off. with the
intermittent cold spells it has slowed down the
melting so we may avoid floods this season.
it's been back to colder weather this week.

we may get a few warmer days later this week
and into next week (anything over 50F will be
a heat wave compared to what we've been having).
perhaps a few of the earliest flowers will be
brave enough to poke up.

looks like all the garlic made it and the
winter wheat and winter rye that i was able to
sprout before winter arrived look pretty good
too -- nice and green -- i'm very happy to see
it instead of bare dirt. now i have to see
how the other patches fare that i planted
later. i dunno if the seeds will still sprout
after being in the ground this long or if
they've rotted away... i suspect a mix of
both.

i'm not likely to plant anything for a few
weeks yet or longer. winter can churn up
surprise late winter snows quickly enough...

songbird