Old 22-09-2014, 09:19 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible

Default Now what ?

Well , the spinach and lettuce has come up , the bok choy is there from
seed that fell before I harvested the pods . And today I tilled the straw
from around the potatoes (what a disappointment ...) into the ground to add
more organic matter , prepped the area up by the lettuce and planted about
100 garlic cloves . I'm debating with myself whether or not to plant some
kale - we've never tried it , might be good in salads . I need to inventory
my seed supply , see what else might be a good fall crop , I have about 3-5
rows 25 feet long that are ready to plant ... or I could just let them lie
fallow until next spring .
--
Snag

Old 23-09-2014, 07:18 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible

"Terry Coombs" wrote in message
Well , the spinach and lettuce has come up , the bok choy is there from
seed that fell before I harvested the pods . And today I tilled the straw
from around the potatoes (what a disappointment ...) into the ground to
add more organic matter , prepped the area up by the lettuce and planted
about 100 garlic cloves . I'm debating with myself whether or not to plant
some kale - we've never tried it , might be good in salads . I need to
inventory my seed supply , see what else might be a good fall crop , I
have about 3-5 rows 25 feet long that are ready to plant ... or I could
just let them lie fallow until next spring .

To me kale is a tough leafed bitter form of greens I like it cooked but
would struggle with it in a salad, it would take too much chewing, but
cooked into chips it would be as nice as croutons.

Mike

Old 23-09-2014, 05:01 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible

"Bloke Down The Pub" wrote:

To me kale is a tough leafed bitter form of greens I like it cooked but
would struggle with it in a salad,

Two approaches: plant one of the more tender kales.
make "massaged kale" salad, in which you slice fine (chiffonade?), add
something acidic like lemon juice, a little olive oil, and knead for a
while.
SWMBO likes it, if I do the kneading.

Old 23-09-2014, 11:39 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible

Bloke Down The Pub wrote:
[...]

It depends on the cultivar. Some kales are tougher than others, some are
more bitter than others. Also for salad you should pick the tender young
leaves.

I like kale, it is tough, long lasting, nutritious and often pretty to look
at, as well as being tasty.

--
David

A better world requires a daily struggle
against those who would mislead us.

Old 24-09-2014, 05:40 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible

David Hare-Scott wrote:
Bloke Down The Pub wrote:
[...]

Kale seeded to be the least bug damaged crop I grew in my new garden this year.

Spanach, Beets, and Chard were all plagued by leafminers.

Prune now? Theo Asir Roses 11 23-02-2011 08:15 AM
stock market huckster are running out of carefully cultivated myths(that transfers your wealth to them)that are falling to reality, buy and hold, invest for the long term, stocks are cheap right now, and now the biggie:Diversification [email protected] Gardening 0 31-05-2009 08:18 PM
2005 Gladiolus Catalog is Now Mailing. Accepting New Requests Now Summerville World-Wide Gladiolus Gardening 1 09-02-2005 12:16 PM
snails - now you see them, now you don't Phil Williamson Freshwater Aquaria Plants 7 20-04-2003 06:17 AM
Tomato Recommendations for 2003 :) - now about "copy url" BT Gardening 0 02-02-2003 12:11 AM