Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
  #16   Report Post  
Old 27-01-2019, 05:50 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible
external usenet poster
 
First recorded activity by GardenBanter: Jan 2015
Posts: 769
Default Winter Harvest

On 1/26/19 10:06 AM, songbird wrote:
Nyssa wrote:
...
As strong as the rosemary scent is, it's worth a try. Maybe
I should have tried that with my pesky deer invaders while
I still had a huge plant with plenty of branches I could have
used.

Nyssa, who is still looking for ways to keep Bambi and company
out of her vegetables again this year


a 6-8ft fence...


If they can see through it to the other side, they will
still jump over it. It is unbelievable to watch.

  #17   Report Post  
Old 27-01-2019, 05:51 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible
external usenet poster
 
First recorded activity by GardenBanter: Jan 2015
Posts: 769
Default Winter Harvest

On 1/26/19 2:52 PM, songbird wrote:
that would have been fun to see!


1+
  #18   Report Post  
Old 27-01-2019, 11:14 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible
external usenet poster
 
First recorded activity by GardenBanter: Jun 2010
Posts: 2,733
Default Winter Harvest

T wrote:
songbird wrote:

....
a 6-8ft fence...


If they can see through it to the other side, they will
still jump over it. It is unbelievable to watch.


so far we don't have that happen. it is not easy
for them to get close to the fences that we already
have. the new fence will be around the north garden
and more accessible for jumping so it will be
interesting to see if they do.


songbird
  #19   Report Post  
Old 27-01-2019, 02:19 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible
external usenet poster
 
First recorded activity by GardenBanter: Feb 2016
Posts: 20
Default Winter Harvest

songbird wrote:

Nyssa wrote:
...
As strong as the rosemary scent is, it's worth a try.
Maybe I should have tried that with my pesky deer
invaders while I still had a huge plant with plenty of
branches I could have used.

Nyssa, who is still looking for ways to keep Bambi and
company out of her vegetables again this year


a 6-8ft fence...


songbird


Unaffordable and impractical.

Nyssa, who needs to save money, not spend it

  #20   Report Post  
Old 27-01-2019, 02:24 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible
external usenet poster
 
First recorded activity by GardenBanter: Feb 2016
Posts: 20
Default Winter Harvest

T wrote:

On 1/26/19 10:06 AM, songbird wrote:
Nyssa wrote:
...
As strong as the rosemary scent is, it's worth a try.
Maybe I should have tried that with my pesky deer
invaders while I still had a huge plant with plenty of
branches I could have used.

Nyssa, who is still looking for ways to keep Bambi and
company out of her vegetables again this year


a 6-8ft fence...


If they can see through it to the other side, they will
still jump over it. It is unbelievable to watch.


Yep, and if they can't see through it, the sun doesn't get
through to the plants inside it.

Plus privacy fences are a no-no in the deed covenants here
except for around swimming pools (which the water table here
wouldn't allow anyway).

Nyssa, who had a suggestion of hanging Irish Spring soap around
the garden, but is wondering if that would really work since
the deer could always get around the soap one way or another




  #21   Report Post  
Old 27-01-2019, 02:25 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible
external usenet poster
 
First recorded activity by GardenBanter: Dec 2009
Posts: 214
Default Winter Harvest

On Sunday, January 27, 2019 at 6:43:43 AM UTC-5, songbird wrote:
T wrote:
songbird wrote:

...
a 6-8ft fence...


If they can see through it to the other side, they will
still jump over it. It is unbelievable to watch.


so far we don't have that happen. it is not easy
for them to get close to the fences that we already
have. the new fence will be around the north garden
and more accessible for jumping so it will be
interesting to see if they do.


songbird


We have four foot fences around the sheep pastures and I've seen deer hop over them from a standing position nearby; looks like they just float over. I wonder if anyone has tried a double fence system so that they don't have enough room to make the leap.
  #22   Report Post  
Old 27-01-2019, 03:36 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible
external usenet poster
 
First recorded activity by GardenBanter: Jun 2010
Posts: 2,733
Default Winter Harvest

Nyssa wrote:
songbird wrote:

....
a 6-8ft fence...


Unaffordable and impractical.

Nyssa, who needs to save money, not spend it


i'm entirely with you in spirit as i am a
very frugal person too by nature. in the case
of the fence i'm putting up i will run me about
$200 to enclose the north garden. the 6ft fence
rolls of 100ft each will keep out rabbits, deer
and groundhogs, the three major destructors and
feeders upon my strawberry plants that i hope
to restore to this garden once i get the fence up.

i value my time and efforts enough that i will
put a fence up before i put any more efforts into
planting that garden again. i can easily get
that $ back in a few years by what strawberries
i can pick and then put up as jam. i have a
cousin who loves the jam and he gives Mom gift
certificates each year so it is not a waste of $
or time. i'd grow them anyways as i really like
fresh strawberries.

up until about 4yrs ago the deer didn't know
the feast they were missing and had not raided
the north garden that much. then one year a
herd bedded down during a storm on that garden
and they've been back through since. each year
we hope the hunters will take out the ring-leaders
and perhaps they thinned them out a lot this year
because we've not seen them around much so far,
but that can change...

it hasn't been too heavily snow covered yet so
the deer have had plenty of browsing on the grasses
in other places.

i've only scared one smaller deer from the back
yard this winter and it did not like that it only
had one escape route so i'm hoping it won't be
back.

the cedar tree fedge (fence/hedge ) is
sacrificial during a hard winter they'll really
chomp away at it. i wish they'd come and trim
the one tree that is overtaking the pathway, but
they leave that one alone... lol ah well...


songbird
  #23   Report Post  
Old 27-01-2019, 03:44 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible
external usenet poster
 
First recorded activity by GardenBanter: Jun 2010
Posts: 2,733
Default Winter Harvest

Nyssa wrote:
....
Yep, and if they can't see through it, the sun doesn't get
through to the plants inside it.

Plus privacy fences are a no-no in the deed covenants here
except for around swimming pools (which the water table here
wouldn't allow anyway).


this is just a wire fence i'm putting up. nothing that
blocks much light.


Nyssa, who had a suggestion of hanging Irish Spring soap around
the garden, but is wondering if that would really work since
the deer could always get around the soap one way or another


it works for a short time, like all deterrents, once they
get used to it they'll come back. i've used all sorts of
things and none work long or consistently enough. all you
need is one failure and the deer can take out the garden for
an entire season's production. which is why i try to plant
a variety of plants and also different gardens so they don't
always get everything, but for our veggie gardens the fences
keep the worst of the critters out (not entirely because we
have the wrong fence up for that area ).

i'm just tired of the efforts in this one garden to go to
waste because it has very good topsoil (brought in when they
built) and we don't really have any other garden soil like
it so i want to put it back into production but i won't make
the effort if i can't keep the deer/rabbits/groundhogs out
i'm not letting that garden space go back to lawn.


songbird
  #24   Report Post  
Old 27-01-2019, 04:03 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible
external usenet poster
 
First recorded activity by GardenBanter: Jun 2010
Posts: 2,733
Default Winter Harvest

Pavel314 wrote:
....
We have four foot fences around the sheep pastures and I've seen deer hop over them from a standing position nearby; looks like they just float over. I wonder if anyone has tried a double fence system so that they don't have enough room to make the leap.


yeah, 4ft is not tall enough. there are various
ways of doing deer proof fences. you can add tall
poles with flags at the top and a 6ft fence and hope
that works to make them think it is actually as tall
as the poles/flags. if it doesn't then a wire
along the top of the poles probably would.

putting large random rocks and other obstacles
around the outside of the fence so they don't have
any easy launching points will also help at least
during the growing season. around here with it
possible for there to be several feet of snow
piling up i don't plan on anything anywhere to not
be in peril through the winter months.


songbird
  #25   Report Post  
Old 29-01-2019, 01:49 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible
external usenet poster
 
First recorded activity by GardenBanter: Dec 2009
Posts: 214
Default Winter Harvest

On Sunday, January 27, 2019 at 11:03:55 AM UTC-5, songbird wrote:
Pavel314 wrote:
...
We have four foot fences around the sheep pastures and I've seen deer hop over them from a standing position nearby; looks like they just float over. I wonder if anyone has tried a double fence system so that they don't have enough room to make the leap.


yeah, 4ft is not tall enough. there are various
ways of doing deer proof fences. you can add tall
poles with flags at the top and a 6ft fence and hope
that works to make them think it is actually as tall
as the poles/flags. if it doesn't then a wire
along the top of the poles probably would.

putting large random rocks and other obstacles
around the outside of the fence so they don't have
any easy launching points will also help at least
during the growing season. around here with it
possible for there to be several feet of snow
piling up i don't plan on anything anywhere to not
be in peril through the winter months.


songbird


That was the basis for my double fence idea, to prevent them from having a launching point to get into the garden.

If we have trouble with the deer getting into my wife's garden, I'll just sit on the roof with my crossbow and harvest some venison.

Paul


Reply
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules

Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Winter... - winter-corner-posts.jpg (1/1) Donn Thorson Garden Photos 1 28-02-2010 01:22 PM
Winter here Vs. Winter In Fairbanks Bill[_13_] Gardening 7 18-01-2009 08:55 PM
Winter-Summer: - Pond-Winter.jpg (1/1) Donn Thorson Garden Photos 0 18-01-2009 10:04 AM
[IBC] Winter (was: [IBC] winter care) Craig Cowing Bonsai 0 24-11-2003 03:22 PM
Winter Squash Harvest George Edible Gardening 2 05-08-2003 05:12 AM


All times are GMT +1. The time now is 01:57 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Copyright ©2000 - 2019, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright 2004-2019 GardenBanter.co.uk.
The comments are property of their posters.
 

About Us

"It's about Gardening"

 

Copyright © 2017