Old 21-05-2003, 06:56 PM
Pat Kiewicz

Default advice needed for a beginner gardener

simy1 said:

(Pat Kiewicz) wrote in message

Time of day makes more of a difference with transplants, which
are best planted in the evening or on a very cloudy day so that they have a
chance to 'settle in' without having to deal with the stress of bright sunlight.

do you organize your day in the garden so transplants are always the
last thing before dinner? It has become second nature to me.

More like I bolt out the door immediately after dinner. (We usually eat fairly
early, by my friends' standards.)
--
Pat in Plymouth MI

(attributed to Don Marti)

Old 23-05-2003, 11:56 AM
Pat Kiewicz

Lee Hall said:

So, you think my 22 tomato plants are a bit much for the wife and me?

Not if you are planning to dry them, can them, freeze them or donate
bushels of tomatoes to the Plant a Row for the Hungry campaign.

--
Pat in Plymouth MI

(attributed to Don Marti)

Old 25-05-2003, 02:08 PM
Frogleg

On Wed, 21 May 2003 07:07:12 -0400, Pat Meadows
wrote:

I don't - but I temporarily cover them with chicken wire,
with a white plastic garbage bag over the chicken wire
(neither is touching the plants). This shades them from the
hot sun and protects them from the wind as well.

I leave the cover on all day if I've transplanted in the
morning, maybe two days if it's really hot and sunny.

Do you have any garden pics posted, Pat? It sounds as if you could
create a great garden history/methods site. With 20/20 hindsite, it
would have been instructive and interesting to see a pic of the frozen
greens and how they recovered (thank goodness).
Old 25-05-2003, 02:32 PM
Pat Meadows

On Sun, 25 May 2003 12:55:19 GMT,
(Frogleg) wrote:

Do you have any garden pics posted, Pat? It sounds as if you could
create a great garden history/methods site. With 20/20 hindsite, it
would have been instructive and interesting to see a pic of the frozen
greens and how they recovered (thank goodness).

Yes, it would have been nice. But I didn't. We have a
digital camera, so I've no excuse.

I will try. I've been wanting to take photos as we went
along. I'm keeping good garden records, and photos would be
a great supplement to it.

[Something of a digression...and something of a whine]
Both DH and I have some fairly serious medical problems -
involving pain in both cases. What we've done in the garden
so far this year has cost us both a lot of pain, and taken a
lot of our (limited) available energy.

I try very hard to maintain a cheerful attitude, and there's
no particular point in complaining in public either, but
there it is.

We don't (can't) do what healthy people do. So it's a major
struggle. If we had more money, we could hire much of the
hard work done. If we were healthier, we'd be working and
have more money but then we wouldn't need to hire the work
done, but we are unable to work therefore don't have money
and can't hire the work done either. It's a vicious circle.

Anyway, I've barely been able to plant the things,
photographing them afterwards has not been possible.
[End Digression]

Because we're doing a lot of one-time-only jobs this year,
this year is particularly difficult - supports for vertical
vining crops, the tires for tire-gardening (they need to be
brought home and cut and filled with soil), constructing a
cold-frame and hoophouse, etc. Next year will be easy by
comparison.

But I will try VERY HARD to take photos, I really do want
them also. And if I take them, they'll be put on the web.

Pat

Old 25-05-2003, 11:08 PM
Frogleg

On Sun, 25 May 2003 09:29:15 -0400, Pat Meadows
wrote:

On Sun, 25 May 2003 12:55:19 GMT,
(Frogleg) wrote:

[...]

I assume your address is a spamblock. I can be reached at
frogleg-atsign-hotmail-dot-com. I'd love to help you put pictures on
the web. And remind you to take that camera out occasionally. :-)

I'm sure you must have developed some methods to deal with the heavy
chores. We could do a web page on helpful techniques. Or how to barter
spinach for digging and beans for fencing.
Old 26-05-2003, 02:56 AM
Glenna Rose

writes:

So, you think my 22 tomato plants are a bit much for the wife and me?

Probably no more so than my 4 dozen or more the last couple of years for
"just me." However, "just me" involves my children, neighbors and many,
many friends. Last year, even the trust officer at the bank asked me if I
had planted Yellow Pear yet because it was her favorite in the basket I
gave her the year before.

Through the years, many people have done very sweet and often kind things
for me. I use my tomato harvest as a thank you to many of them. Goodwill
and the Salvation Army usually have all sorts of attractive baskets in a
variety of sizes for decent prices. I watch for the smaller ones (and
often unusual ones as well) for tomato harvest time. Most of my plants
are heirlooms and include many colors, shapes and sizes so when someone
gets a basket of tomatoes from me, it is like an Easter basket. I've yet
to have anyone turn down a basket and usually they ask the next early
summer how my tomatoes are doing. That tells me the sharing of bounty is
appreciated.

Best of all, those baskets of "strange" tomatoes have encouraged others to
try different kinds.

The baskets? When people ask me if I want the basket returned, I tell
them when it's empty, put something in it for someone else and pass it on.

And . . . there are always plenty of tomatoes to can, freeze and dry.
Mmmmmmm.

Glenna

Old 26-05-2003, 04:20 PM
montana

In article ,
Pat Meadows wrote:

We've not successfully bartered anything yet. We give
veggies to our good neighbors, and they return the favor in
various ways, but it's not as formal as barter - more like
an exchange of gifts.

People don't know that you need help! If anyone you know has ever
admired your crop or your garden, they might be interested in helping
you because they could enjoy your company, learn something, etc. There
is nothing like sharing work in a garden to build community.

Complete Beginner - Advice Needed neiloh United Kingdom 4 26-03-2012 07:30 PM
Beginner gardener with clematis queries...help! Rebecca[_2_] Gardening 3 27-06-2009 10:47 AM
Beginner gardener Lola Gardening 0 23-05-2007 03:58 PM
beginner gardener needs your advice audrey Gardening 5 31-05-2003 06:44 PM
advice for novice gardener needed!!! seren United Kingdom 9 28-01-2003 08:49 PM