Old 16-02-2003, 08:03 AM
Dave & Dana Gaunky

Default Zuccini

Hello,
I've been doing peas' and tomato's for years. This year I decide to
start doing zuccini. Does anyone have any good tips for growing them. I'm
in southern California and am doing a patio garden in pots.

Dave

Old 16-02-2003, 01:51 PM
Minteeleaf

Dave & Dana Gaunky wrote:

Hello,
I've been doing peas' and tomato's for years. This year I decide to
start doing zuccini. Does anyone have any good tips for growing them. I'm
in southern California and am doing a patio garden in pots.

Dave

You need *huge* pots for zucchini. The plants get huge.
I'm planting mine in pots 24" across. I may decide to use a 55 gallon
rubbermaid tub with drainage holes drilled in the bottom.
(I'm growing tons of stuff on my big deck, all in pots.
Will be starting my Sweet 100 tomatoes in the house this week.)

Minteeleaf, in VA in a huge snowstorm :-)
Old 17-02-2003, 10:15 AM
Polar

On Mon, 17 Feb 2003 08:50:48 +1100, "David Hare-Scott"
wrote:

"Dave & Dana Gaunky" wrote in message
.com...
Hello,
I've been doing peas' and tomato's for years. This year I

decide to start doing zuccini. Does anyone have any good tips for growing them.
I'm in southern California and am doing a patio garden in pots.

Hey, you guys - good luck with your zucchini. That's the most often
misspelled veg, after broccoli. One sees both misspelled in so many
ways, it's hard to keep track.

(Dons Grammar Cop hat): Why did you put an apostrophe in peas' and
tomato's? At least it's original, putting the apostrophe in different
places.

Hint: Both are plurals, not possessives.

No, no charge...glad to be of assistance.

(Doffs Grammar Cop hat...)

Back to bidness: If your zucchini does halfway well, you will lose a
lot of friends trying to give away the surplus! g Been there, done
that...

[...]

--
Polar
Old 17-02-2003, 02:51 PM
Dwayne

Only plant one. Others who responded to your request here, weren't lying
about losing friends. We recently moved to Western Kansas. The first thing
I noticed was that almost no one locks their cars, and a lot leave the keys
in them. I ask my cousin about that and she said that people here do lock
them. Usually between July and November, and that was to keep people from
filling them with squash. You might also try yellow crookneck and winter
squash. Butter nut is my favorite. I still have about 20 squash left from
last fall, and will have them until Sometime in June.

Good luck. Dwayne

Old 20-02-2003, 11:15 AM
David Hare-Scott

"Dwayne" wrote in message
Only plant one. Others who responded to your request here, weren't

lying
about losing friends. We recently moved to Western Kansas. The first

thing
I noticed was that almost no one locks their cars, and a lot leave the

keys
in them. I ask my cousin about that and she said that people here do

lock
them. Usually between July and November, and that was to keep people

from
filling them with squash. You might also try yellow crookneck and

winter
squash. Butter nut is my favorite. I still have about 20 squash left

from
last fall, and will have them until Sometime in June.

Good luck. Dwayne

I love it! Can I use. Pleeeeeeease?

David

Old 21-02-2003, 12:40 AM
John Savage

Minteeleaf writes:
Dave & Dana Gaunky wrote:
I've been doing peas' and tomato's for years. This year I decide to
start doing zuccini. Does anyone have any good tips for growing them. I'm
in southern California and am doing a patio garden in pots.

You need *huge* pots for zucchini. The plants get huge.

The plants do spread out, but the root system is relatively compact.
Zucchinis need plenty of water, in hot weather the pots will need to be
watered morning and afternoon. Right from the start get into the habit
of watering without getting even a drop of water on the leaves as this
starts the growth of mildew. Harvest your zucchini fruit while the flower
is still wide open. At this size, the fruit is small, and tastier. And if
you wish you can eat the flowers, fried in batter being one way to cook
them.

In a warm climate, I'd recommend the addition of those polymer water
crystals to the pot mix, to help with moisture retention between
waterings.
--
John Savage (for email, replace "ks" with "k" and delete "n")

Old 21-02-2003, 09:51 AM
Lorenzo L. Love

John Savage wrote:

Minteeleaf writes:
Dave & Dana Gaunky wrote:
[...]

You might try Tromboncino. Not really zucchini, it's a vining squash
that you can trellis vertically to save on square footage. Use the same
as zucchini.

Lorenzo L. Love
http://home.thegrid.net/~lllove

"A people living under the perpetual menace of war and invasion is very
easy to govern. It demands no social reforms. It does not haggle over
expenditures on armaments and military equipment. It pays without
discussion, it ruins itself, and that is an excellent thing for the
syndicates of financiers and manufacturers for whom patriotic terrors
are an abundant source of gain."
Anatole France
Old 23-03-2003, 04:20 AM
Anna Merchant

I have found the addition of most natural kitty litters made from zeolite,
attapulgite, or bentonite will make a cheap moisture retentive addition to
any soil that you have. All these are natural minerals, and will not upset
the soil. Check the bag of the kitty litter and it should tell you what it
is made of. Zeolite is by far the best, but the other two will work as well.

--
Anna Merchant

http://www.thecotfactory.co.nz
If electricity comes from electrons, does that mean that morality comes from
morons?