Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 01-07-2003, 06:20 PM
Not Much

Default Beginner garden, Zone 8a, need tips

I've bought a house and I want to start a garden. I have two main
goals for this garden. First off, I'd like to save a little money. I'm
going to be on a tighter budget and I'm hoping I can save some money.
Secondly, I'm always looking for healthy new hobbies that don't
involve the TV and computers etc. Gardening seems like a good
addition. I live in zone 8a(Dallas, TX) and I want to start sometime
in August or September.

I think I'm interested in the Square Foot Gardening, since I have very
little room to work with anyways(small backyard). Also, where can i
find a schedule of what grows when for my area?

I'd especially like to hear some tips from the frugal growers out
there. The people that like me get a thrill from saving money

Another issue: being by myself, I always have an issue with food going
bad because i can't use it in time. This is especially true with
veggies. Any tips on harvesting or storing so i won't be wasting too
much? And, can you staggar plant veggies in a way such that you are
always harvesting something?

Someone point me in the right direction. So far, i've learned about
preparing raised beds and some pointers on square foot gardening and
soil prep, but I'm still lost on what to plant, when to plant, and
when to harvest.

Oh, and one other thing. I'm interested in organic gardening. I'd like
to hear from the organic gardeners too.

Since i'm a homeowner now i may be interested in flower planting as
well, but for now I'm more interested in veggies.