Old 09-07-2003, 04:44 PM
Glenna Rose

Default Re(2): National Pickling Cucumber

writes:
In article , fakedaddress@organic-
earth.com says...

snip

Also ... how do they get the cukes chopped so small? Is there a home /
restaurant grade machine that will do this?

Bill

Meat grinder would get them pretty small.

Bill

A food processor does excellent. There is also a mini-chopper for $7-10
that does very well; it's also wonderful for chopping nuts and herbs.
Both will chop in "salsa size" pieces. I was fortunate enough to find a
food processor at Goodwill for $10. Of course it doesn't have all the
blades, but at this point, for $10, who cares?! After purchasing a salad
shooter and the mini-chopper, I was convinced I might want a full-size
food processor. After using the one I found, I know I do. My eye is on
the $299 model which is beyond my practical nature right now until I'm
working again; it has a 14-cup capacity which I thought was outrageously
large . . . until I started using this $10 one which is 5-cup. The
expensive model also has a larger feed channel so very few things would
need cutting to feed through the slicing blades.

As Bill said, a meat grinder will get them pretty small also. Those can
also be picked up at Goodwill or Salvation Army thrift store for $5-10
(the hand-crank models). They pay for themselves if you eat ground beef
by buying chuck roasts on sale and making your own ground beef . . . and
you control the amount of "fat" in it. (I've used the used food processor
for that also.)

We often overlook the "old" methods (meat grinder) in our modern world of
electric appliances.

Glenna