Old 13-08-2003, 07:42 PM
Mike Le Pelley

Default Pickling

I realise this isn't technically to do with growing, but thought someone
might be able to help out. My cornichons (gherkins) are approaching full
size, and now I need to think about pickling them. I was wondering if anyone
had any good recipes/techniques for pickling, as the web doesn't really seem
very helpful on this front.

Thanks in advance.

Mike

Old 13-08-2003, 07:42 PM
Pat Meadows

On Wed, 13 Aug 2003 12:33:34 +0100, "Mike Le Pelley"
wrote:

I realise this isn't technically to do with growing, but thought someone
might be able to help out. My cornichons (gherkins) are approaching full
size, and now I need to think about pickling them. I was wondering if anyone
had any good recipes/techniques for pickling, as the web doesn't really seem
very helpful on this front.

Thanks in advance.

I suggest you ask over on rec.food.preserving - a very good
newsgroup, helpful and friendly.

Pat
Old 16-08-2003, 01:02 AM
Noydb

wrote:

I realise this isn't technically to do with growing, but thought someone
might be able to help out. My cornichons (gherkins) are approaching full
size, and now I need to think about pickling them. I was wondering if
anyone had any good recipes/techniques for pickling, as the web doesn't
really seem very helpful on this front.

Thanks in advance.

I suggest you ask over on rec.food.preserving - a very good
newsgroup, helpful and friendly.

Pat

Where, among other responses, you will be told to go to
http://www.google.com and enter "pickles+canning" as the search term because
that will net you ~17,400 sites covering the topic of canning pickles.

Might as well go over there now. BTW ... I've been canning my fool head off
the past few weeks using recipes I came up with online. I doubt if I will
be able to get to even 1% of the totally unique recipes I found, let alone
trying any of the minor, but interesting, variations.

Pat and I (and some of the others) also post over on that newsgroup but
since there is a newsgroup covering that topic area, talk about the
preservation part of gardening over there. This newsgroup is more focused
on the growing part.

Bill
--
Zone 5b (Detroit, MI)

Old 16-08-2003, 02:32 AM
Sabrina

* Exported from MasterCook *

EASY DILL PICKLES

Recipe By :
Serving Size : 12 Preparation Time :0:00
Categories : Vegetables

4 ea Dzn. Pickling Cucumbers *
1 ea Bunch Dill
1 qt Cider Vinegar
8 c Water
1 c Pickling Salt
1 x Cloves Gralic, Peeled

* Pickling cucumbers are cucumbers that are not less
than 3-inches long
and not more than 4-inches long.
~------------------------------------------------------
~----------------- Wash the cucumbers and remove any
stems. Cover with cold water and refrigerate
overnight or for several hours. Pack the cucumbers
into pint jars as tightly as possible. Poke in 2
springs of dill. Bring the cider vinegar, water, salt
and garlic cloves (12 to 16 cloves depending on your
taste) to a boil. Boil for 2 minutes. Fish out the
garlic cloves with a slotted spoon and put one in each
jar (or to taste) while the brine cools slightly.
Pour the hot brine into the jars and seal. Makes 12
Pints.

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

"Mike Le Pelley" wrote in message
I realise this isn't technically to do with growing, but thought someone
might be able to help out. My cornichons (gherkins) are approaching full
size, and now I need to think about pickling them. I was wondering if

anyone
had any good recipes/techniques for pickling, as the web doesn't really

seem
very helpful on this front.

Thanks in advance.

Mike

---

Pickling Romy Beeck Gardening 1 08-02-2005 06:33 PM
Pickling Peppers? John T. Jarrett Texas 6 11-07-2003 09:32 AM
National Pickling Cucumber Noydb Edible Gardening 8 11-07-2003 04:34 AM
Re(2): National Pickling Cucumber Glenna Rose Edible Gardening 1 09-07-2003 05:32 PM
anyone have a good pickling recipe? joe s Edible Gardening 5 27-04-2003 07:32 AM