Old 08-07-2003, 04:53 PM
John T. Jarrett

Default Pickling Peppers?

Now that I have a yard again I planted a couple of pepper plants. As a kid
we'd grow our own fresh jalapenos, slice them and put them in a jar of
vinegar and use them over the next couple of months.

Now I also have all these cayanne, Hungarian yellow, and sweet banana
peppers coming off that I'm not cooking with. I'm trying to just pickle
these whole for later use.

Question is, should I puncture the skin so vinegar gets inside?

And how does one go about smoking a pepper -- like chipotles? How long are
they good for and how do you store them?

Feel free to describe any method you use to keep peppers (fresh, dried,
pickled or otherwise) throughout the year.

Thanks,
John

Old 08-07-2003, 08:24 PM
M. Tiefert

In article , "John T. Jarrett" wrote:

Now I also have all these cayanne, Hungarian yellow, and sweet banana
peppers coming off that I'm not cooking with. I'm trying to just pickle
these whole for later use.

Question is, should I puncture the skin so vinegar gets inside?

Hi John,

I don't really know anything about pickling peppers (other than Peter
Piper picked a peck...) but they seem to freeze well. I've been
purchasing frozen sliced bell peppers, and they _look_ like they were
probably just frozen, without prior blanching.

cheers,

Marj

* * *
Marj Tiefert: http://www.mindspring.com/~mtiefert/
Mediterranean Garden Shop: http://stores.tiefert.com/garden/
In Sunset zone 14-mild

Old 09-07-2003, 04:08 AM
Ruth Shear

G'day

John wrote:

Feel free to describe any method you use to keep peppers (fresh, dried,
pickled or otherwise) throughout the year.

Our Bell peppers all are eaten as fast as they are grown. Our jalapenos,
serranos, habaneros and Thai peppers are not. Maybe coz we grow a lot.
8-)

I freeze them whole in small zip lock bags. When I'm cooking I just
slice them frozen - makes it easier to chop finely actually. They keep
for a long time - we seem to eat our own home grown chilies year around
- either fresh from the garden, or out of the freezer.

I'm not sure that frozen peppers would do as well in a recipe that
called for chunks or when you would eat it raw - but if you are cooking
into a sauce frozen works great.

DrRuth
Old 09-07-2003, 06:45 AM
Robbin

"John T. Jarrett" wrote in message
And how does one go about smoking a pepper -- like chipotles? How long are
they good for and how do you store them?

I have roasted peppers but never smoked them, so I thought I'd find out how
to do it. I found a pretty good website with lots of detail.

http://www.randyq.addr.com/chiles/chipotles.html

Old 10-07-2003, 07:24 PM
John T. Jarrett

Thanks all y'all!

That's whole lot more cool new stuff!

That last link had a ton of good stuff on cooking peppers and jerkies, etc.

:)

John

Old 11-07-2003, 09:32 AM
W Stiefer

Yes,in fact you may quarter them:
http://www.uga.edu/nchfp/how/can_06/...t_peppers.html
National Center For Home Food Preservation!
I really like pickled peppers,got some commercial jalapenos that tasted like
sweet dills one time.Easy to overeat with those!ouch

Pickling Romy Beeck Gardening 1 08-02-2005 06:33 PM
Pickling Mike Le Pelley Edible Gardening 3 16-08-2003 02:32 AM
National Pickling Cucumber Noydb Edible Gardening 8 11-07-2003 04:34 AM
Re(2): National Pickling Cucumber Glenna Rose Edible Gardening 1 09-07-2003 05:32 PM
anyone have a good pickling recipe? joe s Edible Gardening 5 27-04-2003 07:32 AM